Thread: EGR Monitor with aftermarket VVT cam

Tuner in Training

EGR Monitor with aftermarket VVT cam

Has anyone out there been able to get the EGR monitor to show complete once an aftermarket cam has been installed in one of the VVT engines (Eagle or Apache)? It seems to me that it needs to see a specific number for cam timing before it show complete and that doesnt seem possible once you have a limiter installed.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditosmotors View Post
    Has anyone out there been able to get the EGR monitor to show complete once an aftermarket cam has been installed in one of the VVT engines (Eagle or Apache)? It seems to me that it needs to see a specific number for cam timing before it show complete and that doesnt seem possible once you have a limiter installed.
    Just curious if you ever found an answer? I just installed a 6.2 cam in a 5.7 and noticed the EGR monitor never completes. Looking at the FSM only shows the drive conditions to enable the monitor to start but no mention of what it is looking for. Funny thing is my 2013 5.7 JGC has the monitor listed as not supported but my 2015 5.7 challenger does not. I have compared engine diagnostics in VCM editor but I see no DTC that I can disable...although there are quite a few that just list the Pxxxx but no description.

I definitely got my EGR to completr in my 2010 NGC4 however that's when I had my CMR tune with Diablo. I have yet to get the monitor to pass with HPtuners but haven't tried real hard yet.

Comp274 cam. Vvt set to disable.

Senior Tuner
    What will really cook your noodle is the 6.4/392 doesnt even have an egr yet mine sits as not ready???

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah VVT apparently emulates EGR. I have tried to find details on how it is done but the FSM makes no mention.
    https://www.challengertalk.com/threa...4/post-8535350

My 2013 JGC 5.7 does not monitor EGR yet my 2015 Challenger 5.7 does and with my changes to the VVT table it never completes.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Yeah VVT apparently emulates EGR. I have tried to find details on how it is done but the FSM makes no mention.
    https://www.challengertalk.com/threa...4/post-8535350

My 2013 JGC 5.7 does not monitor EGR yet my 2015 Challenger 5.7 does and with my changes to the VVT table it never completes.
    Pretty confident the VVT does an initial sweep on startup, which will fail if you have a limiter, a lock. Then i think it looks to see a certain cam retard to warm the catalysts, theres tables for that, and also the scavenging i think is the main "EGR" type of sweeping it does to mimic EGR. might be easy enough setting both these entire tables to a single value we know the cam can hit? Like full advance?

That might work. Like I said, I know when I had my CMR tune I got the EGR/VVT monitor to pass after driving a while...unfortunately I don't remember exactly what I did to do that. I translated that tune to HPtuners and have done probably 3 drive cycles without getting it to complete yet. Interesting. Only other difference is I get P2096 and P2098 codes now (set to no MIL - yes I have longtubes) I never got those with the Diablo tune but its been a year or so.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Pretty confident the VVT does an initial sweep on startup, which will fail if you have a limiter, a lock. Then i think it looks to see a certain cam retard to warm the catalysts, theres tables for that, and also the scavenging i think is the main "EGR" type of sweeping it does to mimic EGR. might be easy enough setting both these entire tables to a single value we know the cam can hit? Like full advance?
    I don't have a limiter or locker on mine (6.2 cam in a 5.7) but I do have the tables offset which I take it the PCM does not like to see? Funny that a 2013 5.7 JGC has EGR set as not supported but the challenger does.
    Last edited by Homer; 08-08-2021 at 08:06 AM.

never got to the bottom of this yet?