Thread: Hi-speed cooling fan relay burns out

Hi-speed cooling fan relay burns out

I have a 2000 GTP, and twice in the past 2 weeks it has blown the Fan 1 relay. The strange part is, the fan 1 relay is burned at the #30 pin, but the low speed fan blowing on the AC compressor still works. Weird. The Fan 2 relay is still good. I have checked all fuses--good. The fans will run if power is run straight to them from a power source. Both fans turn freely with no resistance.
    What should I look for?
    Last edited by coachcrow56; 07-11-2019 at 09:45 AM.
    2.8/3.0/3.2 Pulley/ZZP CAI/1.6 HS Rockers/Hi Energy Comp Cam 76-802-9/LS7 Lifters/ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler/TOG Headers/Triple Edge Performance Stage 3 Transmission/3.29 Ratio/NGK TR6ix IRIDIUM .40 GAP/ZZP Fuel Rails/ZEX 100 shot NOS/GMPP Sway Bars/KYB Adjustable Struts/Power Stop Performance Pads/Rotors

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like your fan motor is drawing too much current. I'd recommend measuring the current draw and if it's out of spec, you probably need a new fan motor.

I could never find the source of the problem. I purchased a high speed fan control unit from Casper Electronics and installed it. Now I have control of my high speed fans and no cooling issues
    during the 100 plus days in Texas.
    2.8/3.0/3.2 Pulley/ZZP CAI/1.6 HS Rockers/Hi Energy Comp Cam 76-802-9/LS7 Lifters/ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler/TOG Headers/Triple Edge Performance Stage 3 Transmission/3.29 Ratio/NGK TR6ix IRIDIUM .40 GAP/ZZP Fuel Rails/ZEX 100 shot NOS/GMPP Sway Bars/KYB Adjustable Struts/Power Stop Performance Pads/Rotors