Thread: 8l90e

Tuner in Training

8l90e

I'm new to tuning, and won't have my MPVI2 until Thursday! I am doing a swap from a 2017 Silverado to a 72 El Camino. Engine is L83 5.3L with 8l90E. I think I will just need to play with the shift points so I'm not shifting like a truck. Will the TCM need to be unlocked to do this, or will I have to send it in to HPTuners?

Advanced Tuner
    2017 8 speed should have a T87A, which will need unlocking through HPT or you can buy a new unlocked one from HPT.
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Tuner in Training
    I saw the programming option on their website but not a new TCM that is unlocked. Does it require credits if you buy a new unlocked TCM?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes you still have to license it with credits either way. All the applicable information is in the below two links.

https://www.hptuners.com/product/new...ked-t87a-tcms/
    https://www.hptuners.com/product/tcm-unlock-service/

Tuner in Training
    Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    I will have my MPVI2 tomorrow, how can I determine if the TCM is unlocked or not? It's been about 4 or 5 months since I bought it, but I think I recall the guy saying they used a factory new module and flashed it, So that would mean it is unlocked I think.

Advanced Tuner
    It's only unlocked if its been sent in to HP Tuners. Easy way to tell is if you can tune it or not. I would assume its not unlocked though.

Tuner in Training
    Finally got my MPVI2 and read the ECM and TCM HPTuner says it is a 2016 Model not 2017 model as I thought it was. I pulled the TCM and have the SERV# If it is a 2016 it would not be locked correct? They started locking them in 2017. I don't know enough at this point, to want to write anything to The TCM. Is there another way to confirm if it's locked? I'll mail it tomorrow if need be, but don't want to send it to them just to find out it wasn't necessary.

Tuner in Training
    Think I have it figured out, My TCM is a T87 Not a T87A. If I understand it properly, the T87A is for the 2017 and newer models. So my T87 is not locked.

Advanced Tuner
    Yep, you're good to go!