Thread: 2017 escape 2.0 Ecoboost destune?

Tuner in Training

2017 escape 2.0 Ecoboost destune?

Hello

I read my stock tune for my wife?s 2017 2.0 Ecoboost escape with the new beta version, but not real familiar with Ecoboost engines. How much control does the computer have over the wastegate?
    Is it possible to have the wastegate open sooner and cut the boost for daily driving in order to increase fuel mileage. We bought it because of the towing capacity so we didn’t have to always use my truck for our small boat and camper trailer.
    It seems to be a pig on fuel compared to the RAV4 she had before. I would return the stock tune when towing. Just wanted to see if this is possible before buying credits.
    Last edited by Crock; 12-31-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Potential Tuner
    I have an Accessport (which I'm slowly starting to regret, the more I look at hptuner) so I can't give specific detail to the hptuner software, but yes. You will have full control of the wastegate. I have slots with a TIP desired canister pressure table which allows me to directly modulate the wastegate based on load, allowing me to change wastegate control with 5 different settings on 1 tune. To be honest, this wont save much if any gas. You COULD save fuel if you modded wastegate, and changed some VE tables and whatnot to compensate, but volumetric efficiency tuning is beyond me. I only have a month of experience.
    Ecoboost tuning is incredibly complex. Any changes to how the engine operates such as spark, fueling, boost control, cam timing, will all mess with the VE model. I've seen this generally reflected in my short term fuel trim logs.
    So in short, saving gas is not as simple as reducing boost. But, I recommend getting the credits anyway. You could even make several changes to accommodate both daily driving and towing within one tune. I'd post example pics, but it would feel wrong to "promote" a competitor software.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by smneufell View Post
    I have an Accessport (which I'm slowly starting to regret, the more I look at hptuner) so I can't give specific detail to the hptuner software, but yes. You will have full control of the wastegate. I have slots with a TIP desired canister pressure table which allows me to directly modulate the wastegate based on load, allowing me to change wastegate control with 5 different settings on 1 tune. To be honest, this wont save much if any gas. You COULD save fuel if you modded wastegate, and changed some VE tables and whatnot to compensate, but volumetric efficiency tuning is beyond me. I only have a month of experience.
    Ecoboost tuning is incredibly complex. Any changes to how the engine operates such as spark, fueling, boost control, cam timing, will all mess with the VE model. I've seen this generally reflected in my short term fuel trim logs.
    So in short, saving gas is not as simple as reducing boost. But, I recommend getting the credits anyway. You could even make several changes to accommodate both daily driving and towing within one tune. I'd post example pics, but it would feel wrong to "promote" a competitor software.
    Thanks for the info! I guess I was thinking the less air it pumped into the engine, the less fuel it would put in to match.
    I don’t think I am brave enough to mess with her vehicle being a novice. If something were to go wrong I would never hear the end of it lol. Is there professional tuners that will do tunes from HP? Seems like all the tuning places want you to have SCT.