Thread: New HP Tuners Use Need Application Key

Tuner in Training

New HP Tuners Use Need Application Key

Hello,

I just received HP Tuners and I can't connect and I have no application key. I tried resync on the Scanner and on the Editor but nothing happens. Someone help if they know my issue.

Thanks,
    David

What type of interface do you have, an MPVI (has a black OBD cable) or an MPVI2 (plugs directly into the OBD port)?
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    I have MPVI2 with +2 credits. I just got it today and I would like to start using if possible. I'm viewing a video on Youtube and I can see that something happens just a few seconds after trying to sync. Nothing happens in my case.
    Last edited by drbapj; 07-12-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Okay, I can see that some action should occur once I hit resync but nothing happens with my MPVI2 dongle and software. Does anyone have any idea how I can find the application key or have the software work? Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    I'm sad now, no response.

Are we safe to assume you downloaded the lasted 4.X and had the MPVI2 plugged into the computer when you tried to sync it? You are connected to the internet too?

The MPVI 1 uses an app key, yours does not. You did create an account on the main website too right?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, I downloaded the latest software, have MPVI2 plugged into my computer and the dongle in the port, tried syncing numerous times. However, nothing happens.

Tuner in Training
    HP Tuners 1.JPG

What am I missing? I installed the software, plugged in the dongle, connected the dongle to the cable and to my laptop, pressed resync, but the software doesn't proceed forward.

EDIT: I have place the contents back into the HP Tuners packaging after having tried numerous times to use HP Tuners. I'm thinking that I will ask for an exchange, maybe a refund, and then try a different vendor. It simply did not work.
    Last edited by drbapj; 07-12-2019 at 10:40 PM.

Tuner in Training
    The Ebay seller got back to me that their warehouse will be closed on the weekend. Is there a step that I am missing? I would really appreciate being able to use MPVI 2 on my 2001 Camaro.

Regards,
    David

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by drbapj View Post
    The Ebay seller got back to me that their warehouse will be closed on the weekend. Is there a step that I am missing? I would really appreciate being able to use MPVI 2 on my 2001 Camaro.

Regards,
    David
    Go to the HP Tuners website. Download and install the MPVI2 drivers. Then resync...
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb71 View Post
    Go to the HP Tuners website. Download and install the MPVI2 drivers. Then resync...
    Thank you, yes I downloaded the drivers. Still it will not resync. Is it possible that the MPVI 2 dongle does not funtion? Maybe I need a replacement.

Tuner in Training
    What would be the typical troubleshooting steps to check the hardware? I tried to resync numerous times last night and I tried just now, but nothing happens. I think it is likely the MVPI 2 obdll dongle is defective.

Tuner in Training
    Let me rephrase my question, are there any workarounds to get my software and hardware to function? Maybe someone on this forum has used a workaround to get the resync process to work. I'm searching for clues on the internet, but I've found nothing conclusive that would work for me. I really would like to be able to use this. Thanks.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Your pc isn't detecting your MPVI2 hardware, this is likely due to the drivers not being installed, so you should start there. If that does not fix your issue please open a support ticket so that we can assist you further.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Your pc isn't detecting your MPVI2 hardware, this is likely due to the drivers not being installed, so you should start there. If that does not fix your issue please open a support ticket so that we can assist you further.
    Thanks for you help.

A forum member reached out to me and suggested I try a different cable, so I went to get a new cable, connected to the dongle and all is well now. Thank you everyone for the helping me get started. There are videos on Youtube on learning the basics so that is my next step.

Glad you got it going. Be sure to read and save an original file so that in the event you make a mistake you can revert back to stock.i It is also recommended to connect and external charger to prevent voltage drop. Also be sure your pc is set to never sleep while writing. Good luck...

Tuner in Training
    I'll be sure and do that. I connected and looked at stuff, but it's so much to look at. I'm going to take it slow.

Tuner in Training
    Update:

I'm coming from the carb days, so I already have a good knowledge base to inform my tuning on my '01 Camaro. The stock GM tune for my Camaro is horribly rich and aggressive timing so much so that it would ping (knock) under light load. I've adjusted the AFR, timing, fans, PE, and my LS1 runs so much better. I'm going to the track in Fontana soon, so I can see how much of an improvement the new tune has made.