Thread: VATS Delete - Let's cover it all in one thread.

Advanced Tuner

VATS Delete - Let's cover it all in one thread.

I'm trying to make sure I fully understand everything there is about VATS deletes, so bear with me and please help only if you are 110% sure you know the answers. This one's probably best left to the pros, just to avoid any misinformation.

Do I ONLY need to do a Write Entire when the VATS deletes are VATS patches?
    Can I or should I ever do a Write VIN/Tunerlock/VATS when deleting VATS?
    Is it true that I have to Write Entire when VATS is under the OS tab, and I don't have to when VATS is under the System tab?

Do I have to turn off every theft and immobilizer code to delete VATS, on all models?

Do I have to disable Starter Fault checks?
    Do I have to disable Starter Diag checks?
    Do I have to disable Clutch Disable checks?
    Why would I have to disable any starter or clutch checks in order to delete VATS?

Are there any unusually hard or impossible to delete VATS situations or PCMs?

Thanks for your insight, guys. I appreciate your taking the time.

There are so many computers and calibrations out there, it's not really possible to tell you everything here when every computer could be different.

Two things that are for sure are the differences between the VATS under the system tab and VATS under the OS tab. If the VATS is under the systems tab is does not require a write entire, you can do a write calibration only. If the VATS is under the OS tab, you must write entire. There is no need to do the write vin/tunerlock when doing a VATS removal.

Some computers/calibrations on much older PCM's and often not the V8 GM computers, those would want the VATS trouble codes disabled as well just as a back up.

Some of the starter checks, clutch checks etc etc could all depend on what you are dealing with. If it's a motor swap into something not using a factory transmission or something different like that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Can anyone explain to me why the starter checks affect VATS? Or the clutch checks?

Tuner in Training
    what year make and model are we talking about here?

Advanced Tuner
    All of them.

Potential Tuner
    I have gm p04 ecm and want to work around p1629 dtc. do i just sho no error reported on dtc. on VATS my only options are seriel or pwm?? not sure if i can get around the theft?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRMUSTANG View Post
    I have gm p04 ecm and want to work around p1629 dtc. do i just sho no error reported on dtc. on VATS my only options are seriel or pwm?? not sure if i can get around the theft?
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12399

Guys keep in mind vats/pats/skim whatever you want to call it was never intended to be disabled, in some applications we do not or cannot support disabling the security features so summing it up for all applications in one thread with a neat little bow likely won't happen because of the intricacies to each individual application.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"