Thread: 04 GTO basic questions

Potential Tuner

04 GTO basic questions

Hi I' new to this so here goes. I bought an 04 GTO with mods of unknown specs. it has a couple driveability issues but nothing major. Mods i was told it has: aftermarket Cam, Shift Kit, Tune. Mods i can see it has - Headers back exhaust, CAT delete, 8mm Wires, CAI. Again i dont know the specs on these parts no information was provided. I bought the car on a lot here in NC, and they said their tuner went through it.
    So, Just trying to make sure the tune is right. i captured a read .hpt file and a .log file at idle and small revs. I dont know where to get a .cfg file from.
    the driving issues ive noticed - It like to run hot with the AC on if i havent moved for several minutes like eating lunch in my car on a hot day. It likes to try and stall out at first start, and when coming to a stop. ive looked over mechanical parts and they check out so it comes down to tuning i guess. Also i would really love to know how to disable Traction control by default. it also acts like traction control is kicking in when in reverse, even with the button turning it off.
    so here is my .hpt and .log files. any insight or information is GREATLY appreciated! thank you in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SlapHappy04; 07-12-2019 at 09:55 PM. Reason: added info

Tuner in Training
    I took a look at the base tune and your '04 GTO still has Brake Torque Management on. Open VCM Editor, click on System, System options, and then scroll until you see Brake TqMGT. Change the setting to 0 for you GM model, then you have to do a Write Entire. You should have disabled Tq Mgt at idle with that.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by drbapj View Post
    I took a look at the base tune and your '04 GTO still has Brake Torque Management on. Open VCM Editor, click on System, System options, and then scroll until you see Brake TqMGT. Change the setting to 0 for you GM model, then you have to do a Write Entire. You should have disabled Tq Mgt at idle with that.
    Thanks! I'll definitely add it to the list. Input is greatly appreciated!

Potential Tuner
    Since there's very little activity on this right now, I'm going to try and get 3 different hpl long term files from the scanner tomorrow and get them uploaded.

Tuner in Training
    I took a look at your log at idle. You have high IAT= intake air temperature from 111 to 117 degrees and erratic timing. The high IAT cause the PCM to pull timing. My suggestion is watch "How to Use HPT 101" by Sloppy Mechanics on Youtube. He goes over how to keep the PCM from changing timing dramatically.
    Last edited by drbapj; 07-17-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Potential Tuner
    I got 2 long term log files done today from the daily work drive. One with ac on and one with ac off. I'll get them uploaded when I get on the laptop later. Sorry folks, I'm a noob, and I just want to make sure it's correct before I write it to the PCM.
    Quote Originally Posted by drbapj View Post
    I took a look at your log at idle. You have high IAT= intake air temperature from 111 to 117 degrees and erratic timing. The high IAT cause the PCM to pull timing. My suggestion is watch "How to Use HPT 101" by Sloppy Mechanics on Youtube. He goes over how to keep the PCM from changing timing dramatically.
    I noticed that as well. Did some digging found out heat soak is a big problem on these 04 gtos on alot of sensors but especially the iat because of its location. I'm also looking at ways to isolate these things from the heat soak issues. I'll check the vid.
    Thanks again!

Potential Tuner
    ok so heres 2 log about 30 minutes in length. nothing exciting here, i was able to get on it a couple of times but the cops were hot today back and forth to work.
    they are labeled as such with air conditioning on and with it off. i have a week or so before i plan to write the tune to the car. if anyone sees anythingfurther i should adjust let me know, otherwise ill use this as my starting point and play with it from there.
    learning alot little by little

Tuner in Training
    It seems like some GM cars get very aggressive timing or very rich tunes, etc. and I think your GTO is suffering from the too much timing. I've attached a log from my '01 Camaro. Look at the beginning of the log when I have high IATs and you'll notice my timing is less aggressive than yours.