Thread: BMW E39 LS Engine Swap Help

Tuner in Training

BMW E39 LS Engine Swap Help

I'm swapping a 5.3L / T56 into a E39 BMW. It will be turboed but for now the turbo is off and I'm just trying to get it started. I had a local shop do a base tune on the car and it didn't start. Well it would start fine but then immediately die about 1 second later. Almost like fuel is being cut and its consistent every time. I thought maybe vats so I took it back to the shop. They said they tuned for 2 bar and I put a 3 bar sensor which caused the issue. Well does the same thing. I bought HP Tuners since its a pain to drive to the shop every time. Hoping someone can take a look and see if there is anything obvious?

I have a fuel pressure gauge on the car so its not a fuel issue. Only code I get is for EVAP.

2000 5.3l Engine
    Deka 80 injectors
    3 bar MAP
    No MAF
    LS6 intake
    DBW
    IAT and oil pressure is not hooked up
    Attached Files Attached Files

That is a drive by cable computer but you typed drive by wire. So which one is it?

Calibration is setup for a 6.0 and not a 5.3 but that won't cause it to not start. Still need to change that though.

What 3 bar MAP sensor?

Getting the IAT working will help.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    That is a drive by cable computer but you typed drive by wire. So which one is it?

Calibration is setup for a 6.0 and not a 5.3 but that won't cause it to not start. Still need to change that though.

What 3 bar MAP sensor?

Getting the IAT working will help.
    Sorry you are right, its a drive by cable. That was a typo.

Its the EFI Source 3 bar. I checked the liner and offset and it was right.

So hooking up the IAT you think would get it to run?

The IAT alone, no. It just helps with cold starts and over all running when it knows that it's not really -38 degrees outside.

I'd be curious what a data log of it trying to start looks like.

For the hell of it too, go through all your DTC's and disable all the stuff you aren't running. Like all rear o2 sensor codes, all EVAP codes, the VATS codes, all the transmission codes.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I think I found the problem. The map sensor before I even start is bouncing between 0 and 105 kpa. I'm assuming thats not normal?

Tuner in Training
    well maybe not, when I play back the log file I dont see it bouncing.

I attached the log file.

Seems a little goofy. KOEO map reading should show roughly 100kpa depending on altitude.

Remove the 1 bar map channel aswell, only log the 2 bar or 3 bar channel so it can't skew the data logs.

If you have the stock MAP sensor, plug that in and try it. Just change the linear and offset settings back to stock.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Seems a little goofy. KOEO map reading should show roughly 100kpa depending on altitude.

Remove the 1 bar map channel aswell, only log the 2 bar or 3 bar channel so it can't skew the data logs.

If you have the stock MAP sensor, plug that in and try it. Just change the linear and offset settings back to stock.
    Alright, so I basically tried to revert the tune back to stock by using the compare feature. Pulled Deka 80 injector data from LS1Tech forum sticky. I also hooked up the IAT sensor and bought a stock MAP to test out. Still didn't start. Then I removed the IAC valve checked movement (worked) reinstalled and tried again. It started, almost died then chugged until I gave it some throttle.

Little confused at this point since the tune should be all stock besides the injectors. Its like the IAC isn't giving it enough air? I dropped the log and tune in the attachments.

Thanks for all your help 5DFP.