Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tow tune attempt, tune review

Tuner in Training
    My bad on the Stoich. I just meant for clean efficient ratios. Iam aware that the A/F for diesel is very much leaner than gasoline.

As for my pilot im baffled, ive reviewed all my logs, and main timing is right where it should be as well as everything else, the pilot pulsewidth goes to 0 at the commanded points as well. However, I did go back and change pilot timing at the point of 0 pulsewidth down to 0 as well. Just to aid notice of deactivation while driving. But on the log it reads 35 degrees. it never really deviates much from that number. Almost like its defaulting for some reason.

Tuner in Training
    Here is a log that displays what iam talking about. Nevermind the FCA percentages I dont understand the issue, its always done it.race2 log1.hpl

Banned
    I haven?t looked at your log yet or seen your tune but... I?m assuming you are shutting pilot quantity off in the upper rpm and total fuel quantity range. Setting pilot timing to zero in its timing tables as a visual aid of pilot injection deactivation is pointless. That?s not how the pilot injection works. Seeing pilot quantity at zero is the only indication you will ever achieve as an indicator it is not injecting pilot fuel. The pilot timing tables are configured to be degrees ahead of main injection with a minimum separation of 3.01 degrees between the end of pilot injection and beginning of main injection. If pilot is turned downward in crank angle degrees to happen sooner and it breaches the minimum separation it will automatically raise pilot timing to achieve the minimum separation.

Banned
    Also if you have zero pilot quantity commanded, it?s timing is irrelevant.

Banned
    Let?s make some assumptions to help clear up the understanding of how the pilot timing event works. Assuming setting pilot to occur at 15* at an ungiven point in its timing table, at that point the pilot event injects for a period of 4 crank angle degrees, main event at that point is set at 11*BTDC. The pilot event would begin at 26*BTDC and end at 22*BTDC. Now if you want pilot to occur at that point at 15*BTDC you would set pilot in the table at that point to 4*. 15-11=4, pilot timing is degrees ahead of main event. But we also have another problem here, we are cutting into our minimum separation, so the ECM will push pilot timing up 3* to engine at 18*BTDC. So in order to get our pilot event to occur at that 15*BTDC the main timing event would need to begin at 8*BTDC. Hopefully that clears it up enough.

Banned
    FYI at lower coolant temperatures your pilot timing coolant correction table may be taking over.

Banned
    Hard to say without seeing your current tune.

Tuner in Training
    I'm on the road at the moment, but when I get home I'll post the tune. I guess my main concern is, am I running too much pilot timing, or is it causing harm running it so far ahead of the main?
    If it is causing harm, or potentially leading up to it, what signs am I looking for? Thank you.

Tuner in Training
    This is the tune for the log above. (removed)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bigbad151; 01-14-2020 at 04:47 AM.

Banned
    You got some wildly off pulsewidth numbers for just 50hp injectors.

That is a lot of timing in the 2000rpm range. I usually am not about 10-12* of main timing at 2000rpm wot.

Tuner in Training
    From my understanding the bbi stage 1's are a 30% over, which I thought equated to 100 hp sticks. Wildly off,how?

As far as the timing, it is aggressive, but my calculations put the duration at about 55% btdc.
    Is it really that aggressive? Not trying g to come off as a smartass. Genuinely asking. At this time I havent been able to fully take advantage of or get a firm log because my clutch slips. But I can say that the turbo hits 36 psi in less than a second. Recommendations/reasoning?

Tuner in Training
    I'm still a newb, but I think your timing is very aggressive. I've never seen a race truck tune, but that's what your tune brings to mind.

I used DOM's method that I found in another thread. For WOT, 8* at 2000RPM interpolated to 20* at 3000RPM. My truck responded very, very well to that. I've tinkered with it a little bit, but it is a solid starting point.

Disregard the attachment. Photobucket has made it unreadable. I was trying to include it as an example of what I think of as an aggressive tune.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bucket; 01-07-2020 at 06:34 AM.

Tuner in Training
    My timing table was created using a calculator that I had made for displaying the number of degrees traveled for the designated pulsewidth at a specific rpm. From there I then made a decision as to what percentage of the duration I wanted btdc and atdc. So all the timing values above 800rpms have been calculated out. Not saying they're optimal because of that. Just stating I'm not just slapping any old numbers in there.

Tuner in Training
    has anyone modified the correction factors successfully for the pilot timing to aid in controlling/manipulating it?

Banned
    I know I?ve said it before, on multiple threads, a timing calculator don?t mean squat. What you do with them is literally just slapping any old number in there.

Tuner in Training
    Yes you have, and what I have made is a chart to aid me in understanding the changes I am making. As In helping me more readily calculate the degrees being traveled at a specific rpm and duration setting at that rpm. This I feel helps me to reassure my changes aren't going to be catastrophic. But I am ultimately deciding what and where. Helps me speed up the process I stead of handcalcating every area, everytime. From there I make several trial and error changes based off of testing. Please do t feel that your words go unheard.

That aside I'm still wondering if there is any warrant to modifying g the correction tables for the pilot timing, and what is the safety threshold/symptoms of too much pilot timing.
    The research I have done leads me to believe it is different for every motor. But cannot find any specific data to mine to make me feel confident in answering this myself.

Tuner in Training
    I'm having similar problems as BB151 with pilot timing , at 2k rpm I'm 8* main and pilot table is 17* but the logged pilot timing it 47* . Ive been looking at the pilot timing correction tables and it seems their in play .

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbad151 View Post
    Ok thank you.

I tried as we previously discussed with pilot timing correction factors, and failed miserably. the lowest it would allow the pilot to drop to was 19 degrees before main. Which is better but truck was undriveable as it would immediately pop at the first sign of throttle. So i went back and restored the correction factors and just made the multipliers all 1. This made the truck driveable, timing is pilot is back up to 29, and it appears that there is a lope at idle now. I feel as if im missing something else. What would cause it to popp with 19 degrees of pilot?
    This is almost my truck to a t , I have really high pilot timing , when cold started the coolant table is active and pilot is 27 * , base is calling for 18* . After messing around and zeroing the iat multiplier , at startup pilot is 18* what the base is calling for but it loaps really bad and smells of raw fuel.

Banned
    Whenever I have a chance I?ll post some screenshots of what I used for the pilot event on a 2006, zero issues of what you guys are, pilot set at 15*BTDC except where main event pushes it up.