Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow tune attempt, tune review

Tuner in Training

Tow tune attempt, tune review

Hello HP nation,

I am new to the tuning element of diesels, however not new to the hardware aspects. My truck is a hobby,passion, and work partner. So at the moment my primary objective is to learn how to make efficient, reliable, workable power. A quick background; The truck is an 05 manual, with stage 1 BBI injectors. So as of right now my egts are a little higher than I would like them to be. Doesn't help that I have 35'' tires. But i would love some input and possible insight as to the adjustments I have made thus far. Kind of give me a heads-up if i'm on the right track or not, and why or why not. Greatly appreciate any insight, and directions for information. I know there is a ton of info on here and the web, but there is also a ton of redundancy and BS to sift through to find the good stuff. So I am putting in my seat time, but some quick links would be appreciated, otherwise it may be a while before I am able to find pertinent information. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Banned
    With BBI?s you?ll want to adjust your duration table to your injector test sheet that came with the injectors and lower rpm range drop timing. It?ll help with the smoke/haze these injectors can produce.

Tuner in Training
    Hello Jim,

Thanks for input, just so i'm clear, you're recommending, removing timing in the lower rpm range, or adding timing in that range.
    BTW these have no smoke, with stock tuning, there is a slight haze at idle on cold startups. But everything they claim is true, no rattle, no smoke,smoother idle. Truly a fantastic product that I highly recommend.

I was slowly beginning to grasp that, about matching the charts, but was having a hard time interpreting the flow-sheet and figuring out what table to apply it to. I will attach a copy of what I have, could you just let me know if it is in fact what i need or if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Thanks again
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    you are one of the few you said they have no smoke with the BBI?s even in stock tuning. A tune I?m working for a guy has the BBI 0.5 tow master injectors and they smoke in the lower gears and everyone I know who has the 1.5?s have battled smoke. You?ll want to reduce main timing in the lower rpm range, especially mid load/spool region as you begin playing with limiters and opening up fueling and shaping your pulsewidth table to the injector test sheet as best you can will help with the BBI?s

Banned
    Took a look at your tune file, other than the noticeable post injection turned off it looks basically stock.

Tuner in Training
    they have been very good for me, minus the 1400 degrees when im hauling uphill. I obviously do not maintain that and back off as soon as I catch it, but i need to watch closely. I left alot of it pretty close to stock, as i didnt test anything, and wanted reassurance i wasnt going to regret loading the tune. I havent touched the pulse width because my primary objective is heat reduction. I figured timing was the first thing to tackle slowly. but now i know that will be second, after i try and match my flowsheet to the pulse width tables. Just curious, when you mention limiters, which ones are you reffering too? and how can i raise my boost levels. i would like to nestle out around 35, but im only getting about 23-25 psi.

Tuner in Training
    Also Does it matter what I raise my torque limitations to, or should I try and keep that conservative?

Banned
    Myself on a manual transmission I max out the torque limit table. You are fine to load that tune, not going to really gain or lose anything from it at all. Your higher temperatures are from having the larger injectors and no compensation in timing for the increased fueling. Essentially you got more fuel being injected at basically the same time as stock injectors so you have more heat being created that?s just exiting into the exhaust manifold from the extra fuel since you aren?t advancing timing where needed to compensate for the extra fuel. With your injector flow sheet you can use that as a tool to get your pulsewidth adjusted so it flows like stock, well, close to at least, you?ll have to approximate a lot of it. You can also use that chart to approximate how much extra duration you need to flow extra fuel, up to the limit of what the chart shows. If you are good with excel you can create a polynomial equation chart to get an idea for outside of what the chart shows. Rail pressure, duration and timing all play their roles in heat, power, smoke, fuel economy, boost and everything really and all the limiters are going to have an effect as well.

Tuner in Training
    hello again,

I have made some more considerable modifications to this tune, including trying to math my pulse width to my flow chart. How'd i do? not sure if I quite grasp it yet. I also modified timing a little bit from comparing to another tune. As well as modifying limiters and rail.

Also, I am trying to use Bamofo's timing calculator, and when i punch everything in for a 50/50 split ( i understand this may not be optimal but i believe it to be safe to start, no?), all of my suggested timing changes are positive and linear. Does this seem accurate?safe? Am I using it/reading it incorrectly? the tune attached does not reflect the suggested changes I am mentioning.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bigbad151; 07-16-2019 at 10:38 AM. Reason: wrong file

Banned
    Scrap 50/50 split junk, completely erase that from your memory

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Scrap 50/50 split junk, completely erase that from your memory
    I understand that, the reason for me asking isnt for the actual tune, but to assure I am familiarizing properly with using the timing calculator, and to assure that the calculator is functioning properly. I would also like to know if I am interpreting the cell readings properly. Just trying to establish a foundation before I start applying my percentages to actual tunes.

Needless to say I'm very hesitant about making the correct changes, and not throwing a rod.
    I do thank you for your patience and persistence.
    Iam listening carefully,and trying to research as much as I can about the information you are providing. The language/ definitions incorporated in all of this, or specifically my lack of terminology, makes tracking down the particular info I seek, difficult.

I really would like to grasp and understand all the theories before hand, so I know why iam making changes, and not bothering everyone.

Banned
    I would just scrap the whole calculator for now. It?ll just confuse things more than anything and doesn?t represent squat as far telling you what your timing should be at. It just a tool that can be used to learn how a change in rail pressure affects duration and where in the maps it affects it and so forth. Stock truck, a good rule of thumb but not a written in stone rule as a be all end all is at your cell in the timing map with the highest rpm and fuel quantity, +10* for every 1000us of duration in your duration table at the cell with the highest rail pressure and highest fuel quantity. So max limit on stock truck, 3200us duration and 32* timing at around 175-180MPa rail pressure. You can take it up a bit higher than this but it would be recommended to do so while dyno tuning to watch the torque curve to make sure you aren?t exceeding the limit(starting to produce less torque due to timing being too far advanced). From that upper most cell timing will blend downward into the spool region. Take a look at some of the tunes posted on the forum to get an idea.

Tuner in Training
    That rule of thumb if you will, may be the single most useful thing I have found I regards to finding a starting point with the timing. Thank you. I have been comparing/sharing tune data as I find them as well. It has been helping, but not knowing a limit has kept me very cautious u til now. In the #4 tune I posted I have some of those limiter and timing changes. As well as adjusting pulse for my stage 1 injectors. Not sure if you have reviewed it. As I have modified it since my first post. I will most likely load it this evening, unless you have any objections.

Thank you again. It means alot with helping to keep me on track. I just lost my best friend 3 days ago, and the tuning has been helping to keep my mind occupied, through all the arrangements surrounding his death.

Banned
    Very sorry about the loss of your best friend, never easy losing people we are close with in our lives.

I haven?t had a chance to look at your tune yet. Any questions at all feel free to ask and I?ll point you in the right direction best I can.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you, and thank you.

Do I need to add the pilot timing to my main timing for any reasons?
    If so, what total degree do i Want to avoid? thank you
    Last edited by Bigbad151; 07-16-2019 at 08:24 PM. Reason: more questions

Tuner in Training
    So loaded tune, popped immediately on throttle, so went back and corrected pilot to stock. Took her for a run. Ran strong down low, higher gears and rpm is sluggish.

Banned
    Yea pilot you want to be careful with on timing. I personally set it to occur at 18*BTDC

Advanced Tuner
    18* BTDC or 18* before main?

Banned
    Sorry, 15* BTDC not 18 is what I use. By the time main is that high my pilot is off.

fot me pilot timing I start a 18 on both axis(0mm3 to max mm3/0rpm to max rpm) then going to 0 at opposite corner (max mm3/max rpm) no pop
    03 cummins,175% flux injectors,dual cp3,s467.7/83 1.00
    Nv5600 with valair triple disc clutch