Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tow tune attempt, tune review

Banned
    If running post injection with intentionally making main EOI end well past TDC you need to consider the post event timing as well. By the time it injects you could potentially run into a situation of not having the heat required in the cylinders to ignite the post event for it to do its job.

Tuner in Training
    I have eliminated the post injection. Do not feel I'm prepared enough to optimize the use of it yet. These study's you mentioned, and search suggestions that would lead me down the right path of them? Thank you again for your patients and time. Has anyone Installed an in cylinder pressure transducer? Any ideas as to how. I hate guessing, and feel I really need relative data to truly grasp all of the variables.

Banned
    Without a modified head you won?t get a pressure transducer installed. Not really needed going that far. Just make small changes, drive and see how it does and make more small changes till you get your desired results. Pretty much what everyone does including those with access to a dyno only with a dyno you can see what it does to torque output for a given fuel quantity.

Banned
    Google ?effects of pilot timing? and things of that nature and you?ll find research articles that give real world results of findings on things like fuel consumption, emissions, cylinder pressure, etc. Don?t take it all as a written in stone but as a guide of what happens when things are changed to get better understanding of what things do. Experimenting and logging your engine and reviewing will show you what?s going on when you make changes as well and is the only way to get towards your desired results.

I am going to be diving into the Pilot effects soon, using my tried and true method, tune it, log it over a decent span using cruise and evaluate against other logs on the same route. If you have hilly terrain to haul the load across, you could do the same to dial in the tune, generally low calculated load numbers are the best.

Banned
    Yep, aim for results the give less engine load, throttle input, commanded fuel for a given speed

Banned
    I find 15*BTDC for pilot works quite well

Tuner in Training
    I'll experiment with the 15 degrees jim, right now I have an 18 taper to 3 degrees. At 3 degrees pilot I turn it off.
    As far as load calculations I was hesitant to utilize this because of inferred inaccuracies.
    I originally was lead to believe this when experimenting with vp tunes. Which utilize more duration than my tow with pilot tunes. They have given lower load percentages.

Quick thought. In 6th gear wot I feel it pull sluggish, but as I lift off the throttle, I continue to feel it pull till a certain point. Could this be an indication of too much timing up top causing negating torque?

Banned
    That?s not what actually happens with pilot timing. You can set it relative to main injection SOI or absolute to TDC, stock is relative to main SOI and isn?t the same as absolute to to TDC. There is a minimum degrees of separation from the end of pilot event to the beginning of the main event, stock it is 3.01*. If the main event runs into the pilot event it pushes the pilot event to occur earlier in the cycle to maintain that minimum separation. The only way to shut pilot off is to kill the injection quantity above or below the desired rpm and total fuel quantity.

Log desired rail pressure against actual rail pressure and see if at 100% throttle your rail pressure is keeping up with desired. One of the possibilities of the truck feeling sluggish at 100% throttle and stronger at 90% throttle comes from not being able to maintain rail pressure.

Tuner in Training
    Jim how were you able to change your pilot table to absolute degrees? Iam already aware of both of those facts already. I've been listening.lol
    I calculated to the best of my ability the degrees of duration, then added 3 degrees for event separation, and calculated off of main event timing where my pilot would have to be to achieve 18 degrees btdc, not before msoi. It took quite sometime. And yes I eliminated the pilot in certain areas in my duration tables. Because a 0 on the timing map is only a set point not a Quantity. I'm getting there, slower than my truck but moving forward I hope. You all have been very helpful.

Banned
    HPT doesn?t have the option to make the pilot relative or absolute, at least not that I remember seeing. UDC Pro has it. I made a spreadsheet that does all the math to give the pilot timing values needed to make it a set degrees BTDC, as much as however the main event will allow at least.

Tuner in Training
    Hello All,

Long time no see, Hope everyone had a delightful holiday season.

I have been working on a new tune and have found that its time to dive into the correction tables.
    First issue im having is I cannot get my pilot timing below 35 degrees. My table is set with the 15 degree down taper. I believe the correction tables are to blame here. I was thinking about changing the multipliers to 1 and possibly zeroing the adders, just for pilot? And allowing the correction tables for main timing to handle the necessary corrections. How far off am I?

Banned
    Don?t bother with the main timing correction tables, unless your air density table you would other wise be running in is producing a main event timing less than what one of the correct tables would produce, those correction tables won?t do squat. The end result of one of the correction tables must exceed the value set in the air density table being used in order for it to become active, which is never unless you set it so. For pilot, if you want it to follow your air density table and nothing else, off of memory, set all your correction multiplier tables for pilot to the highest it will allow, if that doesn?t work, set it to zero. I can?t remember at the moment which way it had to go. If you look into it you?ll find coolant temperature correction table is being activated for pilot timing.

Tuner in Training
    Okie Dokie, makes perfect sense, almost the exact direction i was moving towards. thanks again jim.

Tuner in Training
    By the way, can go in and smooth out my airflow tables similar as you would for the ICP?

Banned
    Your airflow tables control the maximum allowable airflow by regulating the wastegate solenoid. Assuming your minimum wastegate duty cycle is still at stock setting of zero these tables can effectively be used to help regulate air to fuel ratio, smoke control, boost, etc. Smooth it if you want but optimally it won?t be smooth in the end, no table will be exactly smooth when optimally tuned. Instead focus on small areas that you run the engine in like a 2x2 or 4x4 cell area at a time changing values till you achieve what you are going for then move to a different spot in the tables.

Tuner in Training
    Ok thank you.

I tried as we previously discussed with pilot timing correction factors, and failed miserably. the lowest it would allow the pilot to drop to was 19 degrees before main. Which is better but truck was undriveable as it would immediately pop at the first sign of throttle. So i went back and restored the correction factors and just made the multipliers all 1. This made the truck driveable, timing is pilot is back up to 29, and it appears that there is a lope at idle now. I feel as if im missing something else. What would cause it to popp with 19 degrees of pilot?

Tuner in Training
    Also is there a calculation as to how many lb/hr of air per microsecond of fuel is necessary to achieve a somewhat stoich air/fuel ratio?

Banned
    You do not want stoich. This isn?t a gas engine.

Banned
    Not sure as to your issue with pilot timing. I?ve had good success with getting pilot timing down to 15* BTDC and running it at 15* BTDC