Thread: ls2 rx7 torque management refuses to comply

Tuner in Training

ls2 rx7 torque management refuses to comply

ok,im sure its just me, having no experience with this, but i cant get my car to accellerate past 20~ percent throttle without: trans-type tqmgmt, coming on and making it buck like a bronco.
    To my knowledge i have disabled/maxxed/minned every traction related field.

93 rx7
    06 gto LS2 DBW stock besides zo6 headers and air filter
    e40pcm from flashmasters
    71319gg.hpt6-6 driveway.hpl

the car used to run perfectly normal until the original pcm (done by a shop im not on speaking terms with) threw a check sum malfunction. technically on pcm #3 now as the replacement wouldnt connect to obd after a week.

aaanyways. I've had a friend take a look who was more savvy on tuning than me and he had altered a few fields like knock-in/out but no dice. ive attached the tune and a log showing the torque management enabling, however we altered the tune slightly since that log, still persists though.

one thing he did notice that i completely missed was wheel speed and gear select didnt appear to register on the scanner. yet i could alter reverse lockout and c.a.g.s. so i assume there is communication.
    any and all help is greatly appreciated.

i had read something about needing to use a tech2 for flashing but i also heard the opposite maybe that could be the issue??

I would go back to all the stock TM settings from a 2006 GTO and see what it does. A stock GTO doesn't do what you're describing, that would be a good test to see if the issue is tune-related or hardware/wiring-related.

Do you have a brake switch wired to the ECM (C1 pin 32), and is it supplying the correct type of signal (+12v when brake applied)? Can you see the brake status flag change in the scanner when you press the brake?

Unrelated, but you have the post-cat O2s disabled, but Catalyst Test is still enabled. DTCs for P0420, P0430 also need to be set to No Error Reported. U0121 is set to No MIL Light, which means it will still check for that condition - assuming you didn't swap the GTO ABS into your RX7, this needs to be changed to No Error Reported (means it won't even try to monitor for ABS comms).

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for all the insight! I?ll check all this tonight and report back

Tuner in Training
    711 pull with tc.hpl
    76 tc off.hpl

so i took two more logs

i enabled torque management on one and it was much smoother, however incredibly slow

the second run was with the tq reduction 0'd and the 3 main toggles for torque management disabled. scanner still shows trans type fuel trim torque management enabling

my brake indicator shows brake on at all times which makes me think the switch may be wired but with the wrong signal (have yet to trace and test voltage) however it ran fine before wired as-is.

Look at your table, Brake Torque Management. It's still stock. Note the axis values across the top, those are in kpa of vacuum, not MAP kpa. So the column at the far left, 0kpa, is WOT (zero vacuum). That table has it limited to 479lb-ft at WOT. Think that might be an issue since the ECM thinks the brakes are applied all the time?

Tuner in Training
    Oh wow, I totally missed that field.. I?m gonna try that now. I could definitely see that causing issues. Especially since it only happens at over a threshold of throttle input.

Tuner in Training
    No luck.. even just in neutral you can see it kicking in :| spark ans fuel cut tq mgmt type: trans turns on past 20% throttle input

Tuner in Training
    71319gg brake torque maxxed.hpt

this is the current calibration. unsure why it wont recognize even the clutch pedal, my thought was that its using some rev defense for neutral conditions? not honestly sure. but even with brake-tq maxxed it doesnt seem to help

Tuner in Training

Advanced Tuner
    Try maxing out "torque limit vs rpm - trans input min and trans output max" also your long term fuel trims are adding fuel and the car never goes in to PE, there are a bunch of little things that most people adjust but none that pertain to your specific issue at the moment.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for pointing that out! Like i said i'm about as green to this as they come. tuning and fab work are the only areas of a car i don't have a working knowledge of

i'll try maxing that out but i thought I had already.

is it possible my pedal position sensor is just bad? i figure that would throw a code but ive read similar issues from just such a failure. Not stoked that the part is discontinued...

Honestly it doesn't sound like a tune issue if it's limiting like you say even with stock GTO settings. Missing sensor input, bad pedal, wiring mixed up (though unlikely as you say it worked before and the only change since is the ECM...)

Surely Flashmasters has the tools to correctly do a GM-style 'write entire' on a new(?) ECM, right? Is there any way you could get access to somebody with GM tools to reprogram it just in case?

Tuner in Training
    The instructions did say to take rob GM for reflashing to my vin but I figured hptuners went around that... I?m guessing that is not the Case. Perhaps that would help

Tuner in Training
    still no idea. i can see above 30%~ throttle input the etc torque management type says ['fuel trim'. and under torque management type it says 'trans'.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...quest-by-trans
    this thread most similarly represents my issue. but does not seem knock related. maybe it is the pin 18 to ACC power, i have not checked that yet.
    Last edited by timidthug; 09-04-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Tuner in Training
    so i found a soluterio, cycling the key ion and off 5 times before startup makes it run completely as it should. i haven't taken logs yet, but i was able to do a rolling burnout for the first time in ages
    Does anybody know exactly what cycling the key does to the e40 ecm? google is proving no help whatsoever but i had remebered someone suggesting that to another poster in a separate thread. any and all help is appreciated fellas