Thread: 2010 Ford F-150 4.6 with 6R80 harsh downshift 2nd to 1st gear

2010 Ford F-150 4.6 with 6R80 harsh downshift 2nd to 1st gear

Hi guys,

I was looking at a friends truck 2010 F-150 which recently had a complete trans rebuild with 160,000 miles. The trans was completely rebuilt including a new torque converter as well as all shift solenoids replaced. Since this the trans shifts through all gears fine and smooth except for when it is downshifting to 1st gear it really drops in quite hard. Iv'e driven it and really has a harsh downshift no matter if only going 5 mph once you get down to it selecting 1st it slams in.

The dealer has performed the relearn twice and has taken it for drives when they do so for it to hopefully relearn but it's still doing the harsh downshift. Is there anyway with the HPtuners software I can adjust that specific area in the trans to see if this can be corrected before replacing anymore parts like the valve body?

Thanks

You said the dealer did a relearn, but did they check to make sure the TCM has the latest software?

The reason I ask is because I was experiencing this on my 16 explorer and there was a TCM update that fixed it.

Hello,

Yes the TCM was updated to the latest.

Hi,

Well the only other part to replace would be the valve body so he might have to do that.

Hello again,

I have downloaded the file from the truck listed and in the trans tab in the tune file there's only General and Shift General. Is this all the options that are available for this ?

Thanks

Potential Tuner
    was the shift strategy updated in the pcm when the new trans was installed? id check that but if its fine then its going to be a mechanical issue most likely