Thread: Help...lol

Potential Tuner

Help...lol

I will say right off the bat that I dont have much experience at all here.
    I have been working with a tuner but he hasnt been able to fix my issue and I thought Id see if someone here could take a crack at it..

2.4 LE5 with a LSJ supercharger. 60# injectors. 2.9 Pulley.

Runs great and pulls hard on top.

Has a hesitation and stumble or surge at 3000 - 3200 rpm and when I check the log I see the AFR CMD is 10.9 right where my issues are. I know its running rich as you can see the puffs of black smoke when its stumbling.

Car has no MAF and a GM ZL1 MAP. E67 ECM.

At this point I have 2 trips where I have been super frustrated and now I have 2 days just emailing logs to him and trying changes. It now runs worse and the hesitation is worse.

Ill attach the latest tune and Log and hopefully someone here will see something I can address or at least tell my tuner what to address...UGH..

Its in a sandcar and seemed to be good on the dyno but once the paddles are on its has this terrible flat spot/stumble. The paddles put more load on the car than the dyno it seems.

Anyone more versed in the Ecotecs that can take a look ?

new tune.hpl

Dunes Rev1.hpt
    Last edited by nyceguy01; 07-15-2019 at 07:13 PM.

im as new as it gets too, but why is the PE so rich?

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have a wideband o2 sensor? If not get one asap since it's the only way to do wot fueling. You still have some engine diag tests enabled which you should disable. Running no maf and no ability to upgrade to a 2 bar os will require you to tune vve which can be a pain in the ass for new starters. I'd suggest you read up a little bit on some how tos for that. Change the map estimation max to like 25 kpa higher than what you will see just in case that will mess anything up. Make sure the injector settings are correct. Lower pe ramp in to 1.0. There really isnt a need to have it set to 2.0 because sometimes its over fuels during tip in pe. Your pe ratio is all messed up. You need to make sure the base fueling is correct so set the pe ratio to 1.250 across the board (11.8afr). 14.7/1.250=11.76. and make sure during a 3rd gear pull from 3k to 7k your wideband reads 11.8 so you know the base fueling is correct and then you can mess with it going from lean to rich or whatever but the base has to be correct. Read up and maf/ve/vve tuning to learn more. Generally for boost you want pe to come in at around 3-5psi so you'll have to adjust tps hot to allow that to happen since map is set to 55kpa and just because your commanding whatever your commanding in your pe ratio doesn't mean that's what you're actually getting which is why you need a wideband since the stock narrow bands cant accurately do fueling. Id say the tune needs a some tlc by what ive seen so if you're looking for help pm me

Edit: Set the dtcs for maf to mil on first error - not no mil
    Last edited by TCSS07; 07-15-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Potential Tuner
    It was origionally tuned on a dyno with a wideband in the exhaust.
    Once I got it in the sand with more load on the motor due to the paddle tires and sand the flat spot became apparent.

It revs good to 2750 or so then stumbles and misses right at 3000rpm.
    Once you get past it it pulls good but it really ruins the driveability as you are constantly on and off the throttle in the dunes.

I took it back in and ran it on the dyno again and they thought they fixed it.
    Nope. Got worse.

So now I drove to the dunes yesterday afternoon with a borrowed HPT MPVIpro to get a log.
    I emailed that to them and they sent me that tune to load which I did and its still there.

I realize I dont know what Im doing but when watching the logs myself I can clearly see the AFR go to 10.8 right where I have the flat spot. If they can get that flattened out Id be good to go. I just dont know how to do it.

Looks like I wasted a whole day so far..ugh.. I drove my motorhome down so Im gonna spend the night again and see if what he sends me in the morning is any better.

Im just getting pretty frustrated at this point. Paid a ton to these guys for a "custom dyno tune" so I wouldn't have to keep messing with it and here we are..lol

Only 1 other shop seemed like they felt confidant tuning it as they race dezert cars with the same motor but they only reply to every 4th email or text and even then its after a few days, I just didn't want to deal with that if there were issues.
    Last edited by nyceguy01; 07-15-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    sorry i overlooked that part about a sandcar but either way the wot fueling isnt set up properly and you will need a wideband to fix it yourself properly. But if all you want is a leaner afr command at 3k just go to the pe ratio chart and change it.
    Last edited by TCSS07; 07-15-2019 at 09:33 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Well, Tried to adjust the PE table and the log showed better but it still runs like crap..lol
    AFR CMD was in the mid 11's instead of bottomed out at 10.8 but it made no difference in drive-ability.
    I went ahead and loaded the original tune back in for now.

Once I get back home Ill have to do a bunch of reading and see if I can understand what Im doing before I come back out and try again.
    I gave them a deposit on the MPVI but Im keeping it until this thing runs correctly.

Maybe my tuner will come through with something today.

Advanced Tuner
    Hopefully but again just because ypur commanding mid 11 doesnt mean thats what youre actually getting

Potential Tuner
    Well crap. My tuner sent me the origional tune back and basically gave up...

Here's that tune and the log.

Any other ideas on what would cause the flat spot / richness only at a certain RPM ? In this case right at 3000.

Last time out it was sputtering and popping pretty good but that has seemed to turn into this rich spot.

y1.hpl

Rev4FINAL.hpt

Also, as its looking like this is my problem now..
    I have this "borrowed" ( Paid a good sized deposit ) MVPI Pro from that shop. Are the credits I paid for attached to this device or my VIN # ?
    If I send this one back and purchase a new device can I tune this still or would I need to buy more credits I guess ?

Advanced Tuner
    you need to get a wideband hooked up so you can see whats going on otherwise your flying blind.
    the credits are unit specific so you would have to re unlock the ecm with the new unit