Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What?s new in the LNF Tuning?

Advanced Tuner
    For $25 I would do it the correct way as well haha. I wasn?t doing enough of them to buy the tool. Just doing it for the few locals I had.

How is the clutch holding up on the pulls with that Tq spike? I used to find that a slipping clutch will quite often give you false knock. I didn't see a loop-loop on the graph for a fully slipping clutch but since you were sitting in the car you should have an idea if the clutch is holding.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    if the turbo is bone stock then it wont appreciate more than ~24 psi for more than a couple of months. some people do get away with it but its not going to have customer longevity if that's important to you. the shaft overspeed will eventually kill it. the k04+ unit has a larger compressor wheel and died super fast for me at 26 psi. once the bearings started to deteriorate the heavier wheel expedited the process according to my turbo refurbisher. it was kind of disappointing but i recognize its an expendable unit and was beating the absolute hell out of that particular unit.

i did successfully run a 24 psi max boost for a year and a half. i tuned it to hold 24 psi for as long as the turbo flow would let me and then let it settle to 21-22 psi at high rpm where it just couldnt physically keep up. I know a lot of other tuners that tune for 20-21 psi and just let it rock out with a flat boost curve through the whole rpm range. doesnt peak torque as hard around 3200 rpm and save clutches/gearboxes. keeps intake heat build down a tad which is nice for cars that get beat for extended time periods such as auto-x or full circuit cars.
    to go with that, i tuned my neighbors car for use at some hot desert tracks like seca and sedona. it was set at 18 psi because we wanted the endurance and it made iat a little bit easier to manage.

honestly just need to look at all the factors that come into play when you strain the turbo unit out and decide what you are willing to deal with and accept.
    I hear you. A lot of tables interact that can cause knock to register on scan data. Burst knock tables, IAT, ECT, multiplier tables can be engine savers as they pull and advance the timing based on driver demand % and each temp respectively. The ATS-Vs got screwed over bad bad LS/LT tuners where the knock sensor multiplier tables were maxed out. This means no KR would appear in datalogs giving the person interpreting the tune datalog the impression the tune was good and there was no KR.
    Last edited by RYRO14; 08-16-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    damn that blows... probably quite literally in most cases.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman