Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What?s new in the LNF Tuning?

Advanced Tuner

What?s new in the LNF Tuning?

Been gone a couple of years. Figured I?d see if anything new has been established.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    just dropping by to say hi.
    good to see you still tuning
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Just self tuning. No more tuning others. Good to hear from you. Noticed you never left this place still haha.

im not tuning anyone else anymore. im doing at home fabrication and have been slowly fading away in here. I still read but i just dont have the time to help out and i sure dont have t resources to stay up to date anymore.

I am usually a GM LS/LT guy but had one of these come into the shop today. Vehicle already had the GMPP kit with the Bosch TMAP sensors, RPM Motorsports air intake & NGK LTR6IX-11 gapped to .028". Are these gains typical on a LNF combo? I am making 16 rwhp over the stock GM calibration and 98 lb. ft more torque (WOW). I am getting a bit of knock retard on the dyno pulls in 4th gear however the graph is smooth so I not sure if it is real because I see people talking about putting timing into these engines while upping the boost. Will break out my knock ears and have a listen. I don't see any tables for knock sensor mV so I am guess people just up the stock table to increase timing even after the knock sensors pull some out?

2019-07-17 (2).png
    2019-07-17 (3).png
    Attached Files Attached Files

Western New York's Performance Headquarters

yep thats about right. the kappa platform doesnt make hp like the fwd guys do. all that drivetrain loss usually keeps the kappa around 300 hp when i get between 315 and 330 from the fwd setup.
    the kappa platform has a floating flywheel assembly in some of the applications. it can be noisy and cause kr as well. there are ways to get rid of false knock but it takes so long i dont think i have seen a tune that solves it properly since like 2013. i disabled the knock sensor by settings its max pull value to 0* and used knock ears to set the ignition map. Use em if you got em.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 07-17-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    yep thats about right. the kappa platform doesnt make hp like the fwd guys do. all that drivetrain loss usually keeps the kappa around 300 hp when i get between 315 and 330 from the fwd setup.
    the kappa platform has a floating flywheel assembly in some of the applications. it can be noisy and cause kr as well. there are ways to get rid of false knock but it takes so long i dont think i have seen a tune that solves it properly since like 2013. i disabled the knock sensor by settings its max pull value to 0* and used knock ears to set the ignition map. Use em if you got em.
    How does the tune look? I have never done one of these before. What timing value do you usually land up with at WOT?

between 10 and 14 usually. that load really does a number on max ignition compared to fwd.
    your knock ears will and dyno will help you find that sweet spot.

tune looks fine adjustment wise.

Advanced Tuner
    Something needs fixed.

You should not be getting 6.5deg timing at 5000rpm. It?s definitely pulling timing because it?s getting knock, or your tables are jacked up.

You?ll also want to make sure your IAT2 temps drop at a reasonable rate. If they don?t, then you need to cool the air better, or not push the tune so much unless you don?t like the motor.

I can?t tell by the picture, but be careful because if it?s tuned wrong, the air/fuel could look good but it could also be the computer dumbing down and causing it to flatline. It doesn?t appear like it in the log, but just a future heads up.

You should be logging each knock sensor for each cylinder as well.

You should be logging boost lo res. I don?t believe the name is much different on the new software. It still says lo res in the name I?m pretty sure. That?ll let you know where your boost is.

I?m sure I could find more for you, but I?m on my phone and I?m sick of bouncing between screens lol.

Your scanner should log more items, and the values on some of your items I would change, but that is my preference. Your histogram should also change.

Good luck with it, but definitely fix what is pulling timing there because that?s not good. It should be able to hit 10 no problem, even with crap 91 fuel.

Advanced Tuner
    I should also mention that your IAT temps are pretty high as is, but I also did not fully look at the picture and what all would cause it. I?ve seen some cars that just run hot, but I?m not a fan of it. But again, if you have it done right and they drop temp at the right rate, then it won?t be too big of a deal. It?s the cars that get hot and stay hot that aren?t good. Just my two cents on the topic though.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    Something needs fixed.

You should not be getting 6.5deg timing at 5000rpm. It?s definitely pulling timing because it?s getting knock, or your tables are jacked up.

You?ll also want to make sure your IAT2 temps drop at a reasonable rate. If they don?t, then you need to cool the air better, or not push the tune so much unless you don?t like the motor.

I can?t tell by the picture, but be careful because if it?s tuned wrong, the air/fuel could look good but it could also be the computer dumbing down and causing it to flatline. It doesn?t appear like it in the log, but just a future heads up.

You should be logging each knock sensor for each cylinder as well.

You should be logging boost lo res. I don?t believe the name is much different on the new software. It still says lo res in the name I?m pretty sure. That?ll let you know where your boost is.

I?m sure I could find more for you, but I?m on my phone and I?m sick of bouncing between screens lol.

Your scanner should log more items, and the values on some of your items I would change, but that is my preference. Your histogram should also change.

Good luck with it, but definitely fix what is pulling timing there because that?s not good. It should be able to hit 10 no problem, even with crap 91 fuel.
    Good advice I have it now where it is taking 8.5 degrees at WOT and going to try a bit more. No sign of KR I think the day was just hot and sticky and the intercooler was getting beat. I am logging boost on the dyno car will spike to 28-29 psi then level off to 22 psi at WOT

yeah your at the max flow rate of the turbo on the top end. ~34 lb/min

Advanced Tuner
    Part of the issue is doing it on a dyno. I prefer the street because it?s real world and it keeps temps down. Just my two cents, but what do I know lol.

Part of the issue is doing it on a dyno. I prefer the street because it?s real world and it keeps temps down. Just my two cents, but what do I know lol.
    My dyno is as close to real world as you get on the street with load and the safety of not buzzing the public highways at 130+ MPH. I do have a huge high CFM fan that is a pain to setup and just didn't use it for this quick tune. I usually break it out for doing crazy stuff and tuning VE tables

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    yeah your at the max flow rate of the turbo on the top end. ~34 lb/min
    34 lb/min is as much as the turbo will pull in? I think I'm around 33-34 on my gxp and between 5000-6200 rpm in third geard it goes down to 29-30 lb/min. The car is stock and has no mods but cat delete and the tune. I heard the charge pipes are restrictive in these kappa cars and cause loss of boost on higher rpms. Might it be that or need to adjust some tables?

Advanced Tuner
    Turbo runs out of go fast up top. If you want better, then get a bigger turbo lol.

Also, it?s not just about lbs. I did a write up awhile back about how that?s not necessarily a sign of performance. Not sure if it?s still on here or not.

Turbo runs out of go fast up top. If you want better, then get a bigger turbo lol.

Also, it?s not just about lbs. I did a write up awhile back about how that?s not necessarily a sign of performance. Not sure if it?s still on here or not.
    Hmm, I might have read it because your username seems a little familiar. And I figured I would need a bigger turbo lol. Just sucks that on the quarter mile I get a good launch and stay ahead until I reach third gear then they either catch up or pass me then. Specially the 5.0 mustangs. In my buddy's cobalt the car will hold 20-23 psi even up top. Then again he has full bolt on

Something like a larger gt28 is what I ran for about half year until I went full drag. Runs good through the whole range and comes in fast.
    A small efr that has a compressor max efficiency around the 45 lbmin mark at a compression ratio of 2.7 ish would make a great turbo (6758)

Tuner in Training
    HP Tuners has updated some parameter names and what not for logging but the gist remains about the same. I still have a Terminator2 tune that was done in person on my car. Damn that was a long time ago (2013 I think). Guys on the FB group were strait grimy when I tried to offer help to anyone.

Tuner in Training
    Don?t disable the knock sensors. That is a bad idea....