Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '18 3.5L Ecoboost with Turbo Upgrade, what am I missing?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace View Post
    That is a questions for a ford calibration engineer or someone like steven@hptuners

I would be looking into what you "actual's" are greater then your "desired's" around 5400rpm

Also your turbos are spinning at a speed that will shorten their lifespan.
    Thanks. That's not an accurate inferred turbo speed. I haven't touched the turbo maps, so they are still calculating for the stock turbos. This truck has much larger upgraded turbos. Speed is not that high.

This thread is asking the same question your are about "popcorn" and in post #2 steven@hptuners explains what your seeing

@Puggyberra in post #4 explains more about what you fixed yesterday

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?69011-Torque-max-protection-source-Injector-limit&p=511942#post511942

I've read that thread. It mentions these same limits. And mentions popcorn is related to the LSPI tables, but I haven't found information describing how to address it. Or how the LSPI tables need to be calibrated properly. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by M5Boost View Post
    Thanks. That's not an accurate inferred turbo speed. I haven't touched the turbo maps, so they are still calculating for the stock turbos. This truck has much larger upgraded turbos. Speed is not that high.
    Actual being higher then desired is what causes your throttle to close (boost "load" control )

That is the way the system works.

I've read that thread. It mentions these same limits. And mentions popcorn is related to the LSPI tables, but I haven't found information describing how to address it. Or how the LSPI tables need to be calibrated properly. Thanks.
    Read what he said: "This is just the source of the current maximum torque source for protection, not necessarily the one that's actually limiting you." ("Torque Max Source - popcorn")

And in your log its not limiting you.
    Last edited by LastPlace; 07-19-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Actual being higher then desired is what causes your throttle to close (boost "load" control )

That is the way the system works.
    I only see airflow and WG overspeed limit tables. Are there turbo speed limits somewhere? I see speed control, but don't see a limit. I could try a tune file using the turbo coefficient calculator with much more accurate values to match the turbos. To see how it affects the calibration.

Read what he said: "This is just the source of the current maximum torque source for protection, not necessarily the one that's actually limiting you." ("Torque Max Source - popcorn")

And in your log its not limiting you.
    OK, I saw that. Is my throttle closure at 5500rpm just for the gear shift?

Thanks!

I only see airflow and WG overspeed limit tables. Are there turbo speed limits somewhere? I see speed control, but don't see a limit. I could try a tune file using the turbo coefficient calculator with much more accurate values to match the turbos. To see how it affects the calibration.
    Imo your missing pids you need to show you what you want to know

OK, I saw that. Is my throttle closure at 5500rpm just for the gear shift?

Thanks!
    No

PS - the transmission shift mapping is based on Output shaft speed (OSS) not engine rpm

Tuner in Training
    Imo your missing pids you need to show you what you want to know

No

PS - the transmission shift mapping is based on Output shaft speed (OSS) not engine rpm
    OK, so which PIDs are you referring to?

I see TCM 21468 which appears to be part throttle shift schedule. TCM 9690 would be WOT shifting (not OSS based), right? I've adjusted both tables on mine. Seems to be doing what I want. So what's causing that throttle closure if it's not from the shift?

OK, so which PIDs are you referring to?
    TIP, air load, others.

a google search would get get you what you want.

I see TCM 21468 which appears to be part throttle shift schedule. TCM 9690 would be WOT shifting (not OSS based), right? I've adjusted both tables on mine. Seems to be doing what I want. So what's causing that throttle closure if it's not from the shift?
    I'm starting to see a pattern

Screenshot (6)_LI.jpg

Tuner in Training
    TIP, air load, others.

a google search would get get you what you want.

I'm starting to see a pattern

Screenshot (6)_LI.jpg
    Ah I see how I would have adjusted that OSS shift table wrong. OK, I have some things to change. Thanks for your time. I'll report back.

Ah I see how I would have adjusted that OSS shift table wrong. OK, I have some things to change. Thanks for your time. I'll report back.
    Is this your personal vehicle?

Tuner in Training
    Is this your personal vehicle?
    Yes Sir.

Yes Sir.
    That makes me feel better

Tuner in Training
    That makes me feel better
    Not sure what you mean by that. Yes I adjusted that table wrong. Didn't hurt anything. I'm playing with the tune myself until I get a pro tune to load, soon. Nothing wrong with learning right?

Nothing wrong with learning right?
    Nothing wrong with learning, that is exactly what all the guys that answered your questions are here doing.

Not sure what you mean by that. Yes I adjusted that table wrong. Didn't hurt anything. I'm playing with the tune myself until I get a pro tune to load, soon.
    Sweet, Let us know how the pro tune loads ups

Nothing wrong with learning, that is exactly what all the guys that answered your questions are here doing.
    Exactly