Thread: HPT vs. Maestro?

Tuner

HPT vs. Maestro?

I'm wondering if anyone here has used Eurodyne Maestro and can comment on how it compares to HPTuners?

I've got a 2012 A4 with the 2.0t engine and a '14 A6 with the 3.0t, both with the ZF 8-speed, and am thinking about tuning both. It appears HPTuners can do engine and transmission on both (right?) - Maestro can definitely do the 2.0 engine, maybe can do the 3.0 engine, and it's unclear about the TCU.

But I'm mostly curious if anyone has used both and can comment on how well they work, how easy they are to use, quality of support, etc.

Thanks!

Oh and if it helps any, I'm a fairly experienced tuner but on older cars. I've done the whole bit with R&R'ing ROM chips and poking around to find and edit maps, but 1980's/1990's ECUs were a little simpler...

Tuner in Training
    i have seen that most of the maps are listed in HPT.
    HPT team is doing hardwork on these,
    The only thing that i don't like the maps names and lack of bosch abbreviation because this is how most german cars tuners learnt the ecu algorithm.

Advanced Tuner
    end up messing around with eurodyne at all?

i have a powertapp cable but i find the logger and maps available for the B8 chassis super dissapointing and not worth the decent price difference from HP, also there is litterilly 0 support from chris for anything other than the MQB platform company is seriously a joke and basically a hobby for him at this point

Tuner in Training
    i have stopped using eurodyne and i regret buying it,there is no editor for mqb platform,only for me9,their tech support is rude,and their maps or not good,i have dyno tested their mqb maps,its non like what advertised,for example they claim 300 whp for gti and it will never happen at 23psi on is20..

Tuner
    For financial reasons I had to choose Euro or HP (not both) and from what I read here and elsewhere I'm glad I chose HP!

It's still a bummer that Euro provides "canned" tunes whereas HP's tune repository contains absolutely nothing for VAG cars, but from everything I read their software and support is 100x better. Never mind that HP supports the ZF 8-speed autobox (one of which I own two of) and is cheaper!

Tuner in Training
    Eurodyne, albeit basic, can also be powerful. I have been tuning on maestro for the last few years and have achieved a 500+/500+ big turbo GTI. Now that being said, there were always issues with the tune and meastro didnt offer the proper tables to fix them. I would say that meastro is a more basic version of HPT. Just for example, the amount of boost control maps in HPT does not even compare to the 3 tables (WGDC, WGDC correction, and if your lucky you get the PID tables) in eurodyne. I think HPT is the next logical progression, as a tuner, coming from eurodyne. And yes, I have dealt with Chris Tapp on several occasions and although we were able to resolve the issue at hand, you could tell that he is really not willing to help or improve his product. Like the guy above me said, its basically a hobby for him at this point. But I have a lot of maestro experience and I am learning HPT now with the help of some very smart people here, so if you would like a more in depth comparison shoot me a DM.

I also forgot to touch on the price difference.. $500 (including the 4 credits for VW) for HPT which has fast sample rates for logging and a MUCH more extensive editing software VS. the $800+ that meastro costs. The sample rates on the eurodyne flash software are dinosaur slow, the user interface for eurodyne is a joke, the customer support is non existent, could go on and on and on. HPT is where its at for sure IMO.
    Last edited by Sauce118; 09-30-2020 at 07:36 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauce118 View Post
    The sample rates on the eurodyne flash software are dinosaur slow, the user interface for eurodyne is a joke, the customer support is non existent, could go on and on and on. HPT is where its at for sure IMO.
    I got the Maestro credits for my 2.0L 8V A3 earlier this year because support from HPTuners wasn't available yet. I didn't really know what to expect from Eurodyne, but coming from HPT I was disappointed. Flashing the ECU and DSG together took about an hour. Sport mode is a big improvement over stock, at least. Unfortunately, it appears that none of the tables available to me in Maestro allow me to tweak either of these things.
    Last edited by dtownmikebrown; 07-04-2021 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Trash talk