Thread: 'Manual' vs 'Non-Electric Auto' Questions. For transmissions with no VSS signal.

Tuner in Training

'Manual' vs 'Non-Electric Auto' Questions. For transmissions with no VSS signal.

A buddy did a 5.3L / TH350 swap into an older truck so I programmed a computer for it. I did a manual trans segment swap (same OS Camaro - T56) and all the other items I read on here to do as far as Abuse modes.

I read that the transmission type drop-down didn't matter so I left it on 'Manual'.

The engine ran but wouldn't rev-up. I changed the drop-down to 'non-electric auto' and everything worked fine (engine reved to 5200 rpm).

My questions are:

1. Was this likely caused by the manual segment swap looking for a VSS signal?

2. If I did the same tune for an older manual trans, should I select 'non-electric auto' since there is no VSS , or will this cause a different issue?

Thanks in advance.

I find that the problem can sometime be because you are starting with a automatic OS. Anytime I've used an OS that started life with a 4L60e/4L80e I've left the drop down as stock and disabled all the abuse and transmission related DTC's. Never had a problem doing it that way.

It's possible it's looking for something else or things get funky when you change things around when dealing with an auto OS.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

If it has an automatic transmission in it then you need to keep the automatic tune file. Reason: This gives you the option for better idle control IF you hookup the park/neutral safety switch to the PCM and set it as such. When you flash a manual tune the PN input and PN idle routines are ignored thus leaving you in the in-gear logic at all times.

The speedo hookup has no bearing on this. Both automatics and manuals alike had speed sensors. I'd suggest hooking one of those up as well since it will also give the ability to dial in rolling idle routines like throttle cracker.

I also wouldn't mess with the transmission drop down menus as they switch internal logic to stuff we don't have access to in the background. Depending on which OS and which vehicle the calibration is for will determine what that switch does.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner in Training
    [QUOTE=5FDP;578458]I find that the problem can sometime be because you are starting with a automatic OS. Anytime I've used an OS that started life with a 4L60e/4L80e I've left the drop down as stock and disabled all the abuse and transmission related DTC's. Never had a problem doing it that way.

It's possible it's looking for something else or things get funky when you