Thread: Straight Forward VE Question

Tuner in Training

Straight Forward VE Question

So, I ran a log in SD mode to tune my VE from fuel trims.

I have my current VE table, then I copy my Short Term Fuel Trims from the scanner and do a Paste Special > Multiply by & Half.

So Far So Good?

NOW WHAT? I have read to hand-smooth and then log again, but not exactly sure how to hand smooth or frankly, what that even means?

I posted screenshots of my VE table stock and then after pasting in the fuel trims.

Thanks in advance...

P.S. and then going further, Copy(with Axis) to the secondary table?origve.jpgpastedVE.jpg

Tuner in Training
    Also I read somewhere to multiply the entire VE table by 1.15 ..... what is this about?

so what you did was take whatever error there was in your STFT and cut the number in Half after you pasted it. Example: histogram says all those cells u adjusted were -10 ( comp pulling fuel/10% RICH from target (stoic) so when you did mult by half you essentially adjusted it by 5% (half of 10 is 5). what they mean by hand smooth means you need to go above the VE table where the bar is that has interpolate and youll see a small pic that looks like a VE table (3d view) click on that then youll see the actual 3d view of the table. Then you can take your cursor click on a peak (high spot) and manually pull it up or down to smooth the hump. With good injector data your VE table should be nice and smooth not crazy spikes and dips. Hope this helps.

The multiply the VE by 15% thing is stupid and not really needed for most people, it bugs me that some of the guides said that.

It tends to throw people even more off because many of them already added larger fuel injectors that would spray in more fuel and then you add in another 15% on top of that before they even start calibrating. To me it's easier to just change the data that is required and start running the engine, if a major or minor change is required right off the bat to get it closer then that is how it has to be.

The secondary VE doesn't have the same values on the axis as the primary, I end up copying each row over that matches, then click the smooth function to clean it up.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Gotcha... This is a stock intake/TB/injector 5.3, rebuilt with Flat Tops and a Comp 265HR cam ... Full offroad use... Not sure how far off the VE is (my screenshots are from a "no good" log run so I gotta redo everything anyway) but I figured with the cam and compression it could use a little massaging.

Thanks guys!

P.S. is the Multiply by Half just good practice to yield for error not go too far too soon?

I tend to get as much data I can on a single log. If you can drive it around for 5 to 10 minutes and go through different throttle positions, you'll get the most data. My FIRST adjustment is always by %. Every subsequent adjustment from there is by half. Smoothing it, look at all of the areas that weren't touched in and around your datalog. Anything above your line, take a look at it. If it is MAJORLY off from where your adjusted cells are, highlight it from the top cell .10 all the way to the first sell that was adjusted by your "multiply by %". Interpolate it up. I use Interpolate because it actually uses some math to adjust those numbers so they are a linear number. Smooth is just that...smoothing. Look at any of the surrounding numbers around your adjusted section and continue to smooth them so there isn't any rough transition into your datalog. Write it, and repeat but multiply by half %.