Thread: Idle tuning help needed

Tuner in Training

Idle tuning help needed

Having a shitty time trying to get this idle tamed any help is appreciated
    2012 JGC 392
    I installed a cam, afe cai, and bbk 85mm TB on it
    Cam Spec
    222/230 115 LSA

When I first started it up, it would idle hunt then stall like it is doing now. I bumped up the idle to about 900 and it idled fine until I drove it, then it would stall intermittently coming to a stop. I played with the proportional and derivative numbers on the spark torque tables and it stopped stalling. I then did some ANN tuning to get the trims as close as I could. I am now trying to get the idle back to about 650-700 but am having a hard time getting any kind of progress from it. It will start up fine, idle up to about 950 then start coming down but when its on its way down I get a surge that just builds until it stalls. Some direction in where to go next is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LonBonSilver; 07-18-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Senior Tuner
    that cam will not idle at that low of RPM. I wouldn't try to idle it any lower than 800 or so. Raise your Low Idle rpm setting to 700 and make the rest of the idle set points be 800 or so. Make your lockpin VVT timing table match your part throttle timing table (at idle cam should be at lock pin), and smooth out your timing table left to right, you have a cliff from 14 degrees to like 20 degrees in a 300 rpm change.

Your Minimum spark is wrong, needs to be stock except wherever it was negative be 0 degrees. Your current table has a minimum of 14 in the idle area which isn't good and the rest is zero, it will need to pull timing below that if its over idling.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    that cam will not idle at that low of RPM. I wouldn't try to idle it any lower than 800 or so. Raise your Low Idle rpm setting to 700 and make the rest of the idle set points be 800 or so. Make your lockpin VVT timing table match your part throttle timing table (at idle cam should be at lock pin), and smooth out your timing table left to right, you have a cliff from 14 degrees to like 20 degrees in a 300 rpm change.

Your Minimum spark is wrong, needs to be stock except wherever it was negative be 0 degrees. Your current table has a minimum of 14 in the idle area which isn't good and the rest is zero, it will need to pull timing below that if its over idling.
    Appreciate the help and time, I played with it some more last night using your post about PID systems in these computers and tamed the hunt down a lot. I also bumped it to 800 but couldn't get it there after taming the surge. I command 800 and its playing from about 675 to 750. I haven't really played with any ETC tables though. Making the timing changes you suggested now.