Thread: Playing with injection timing

Advanced Tuner

Playing with injection timing

I have a gen 2 lt1 with 24x 0411 pcm swap.
    My cam has 19? of overlap.
    I was able to use my logs and cam specs to calculate injection timing to occur right after the exhaust valve closes.

A few things i noticed
    The exhaust smell went from eye burning to bareable
    My AFR from my logs is now slighlty more rich maybe about 2%
    My idle quality went down slightly but nothing to complain about in guess.
    I lost a little bit of vac, im assuming once i bring my AFR back to its "sweet spot" i may gain it back?

From what i know The first two indicate im going in the right direction. Im just looking for real world examples.

Ive had some low throttle low rpm lean spikes amongst other symptoms ive been chasing.I did some research and noticed a few guys with 0411 swaps on their lt1 and sbc had similar issues with larger overlap cams and fixed with injection timing.

Input?
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Potential Tuner
    Il bump this because im debating on this with my Gen 6 454 and having similar thoughts.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 454Sub View Post
    Il bump this because im debating on this with my Gen 6 454 and having similar thoughts.
    Id make another post but injection timing is taboo or people just dont know enough.
    On a positive note car no longer has the low throttle issues of falling flat in its face anymore

Potential Tuner
    I'm just going on a limb and going to assume it's rich because more fuel is reaching the combustion chamber. Now I wonder if that would then effect transient and everything else.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 454Sub View Post
    I'm just going on a limb and going to assume it's rich because more fuel is reaching the combustion chamber. Now I wonder if that would then effect transient and everything else.
    Yes there is better combustion occurring since your not losing itn

Advanced Tuner
    Be careful doing this. I know it helps in some areas to spray fuel after the exhaust valve closes with overlap but it can easily lead to cylinder washing. I use to do this too. When I changed my oil it just didn't seem right. Didn't smell like fuel per say but it just felt thinned out and non oily if that makes sense (I use mobile 1 synthetic btw). Well I finally sent my oil for testing (surprising cheap) and just like I thought ( along with what others have said) my oil test showed high amounts of gasoline. I forgot what the exact word they used but in their summary it read something along the lines of fuel washing and typically this is due to a leaking injector. If I can find the summary I'll attach it. So I readjusted my injection timing just as the OEM did. To spray on the closed valve. What is interesting is that the stock values for injection timing was spraying during overlap. I've always adjusted it to spray after exhaust valve. Now knowing the problem it created I adjusted to spray when the intake valve was closed (something I never tried) and it actually responded pretty darn well. Yes it does smell more than doing it the other way but barely anymore. Leaving stock values in would make it stink (remember it was spraying into overlap. Cams can change when intake opens).

Just my 2 cents on this from my bad experience spraying into a open valve.