Thread: Ignition timing Help

Tuner in Training

Ignition timing Help

What kind of total timing is everyone using on there LS1 cars. I'm just looking for some ideas to try at the drag strip. I tuning a 98 LS1, the engine is bone stock, with full length headers and an off road Y Pipe,SLP cold air and a converter. I'm using unleaded 100 octane race gas, and the IAT is 80 degrees or less.

I am use to the old school engines where you want total timing to be 36 to 38 degrees. I thought I saw somewhere that most timing a stock LS1 should have @ WOT is 28.

What kind of total timing is everyone using or max at WOT?
    Is any one retarding timing at higher RPMs ?
    Why does the stock timing table have about 30 deg @ 3000 then pull timing down to about 24 (i think it was) and then go up to about 28 at 5000 and up?

If anyone can post there timing tables that would be great !

Well, number one: The LSx series of motors are much more efficient than the earlier SBC's. I recall the Vortec SBC could only tolerate about 32-33 deg timing because of their fast burn chamber design. The LSx series are even more efficent thus the 24-28 degrees most of them can tolerate.

The reason the timing dips around 3800-4800 is that is where peak torque is on your stock engine. And that is where maximum cylinder pressure occurs as well. Maximum dynamic cylinder air is at peak torque as well.

After peak torque the timing rises, dynamic cylinder air (grams/cylinder) begins to drop, and torque begins to drop on the way to peak HP where you will have maximum timing and generally less fuel (unless you road race the car, then you want more fuel for cooling purposes and longevity of the valves/pistons etc.).

HTH
    EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Potential Tuner
    I helped my neighbor tune his LS1, and we ended up with 27 deg WOT. His is a 383 stroker with ported heads. It runs real strong!!!!!

We have yet to put it on a dyno, and we're estimating about 540 HP from the tuning runs we made in it.

Advanced Tuner
    I wouldnt go more than 23* timing, but thats based on our crappy fuel in OZ. 100 octane race gas is not real high octane... a stocker will benefit little from it anyway. I usually go with 19-20* timing for stockers max.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info guys !

Quote Originally Posted by MNR-0
    I wouldnt go more than 23* timing, but thats based on our crappy fuel in OZ. 100 octane race gas is not real high octane... a stocker will benefit little from it anyway. I usually go with 19-20* timing for stockers max.
    My car seems to run the best at 28 but I'll tryin pullin timing the nextime at the track and see what happens.