Thread: Critique my tune / adding more boost (LLY)...

Tuner in Training

Critique my tune / adding more boost (LLY)...

I have a 2005 CCSB 2500 6.6 LLY and 5 speed Allison trans. It's pretty stock except for a AFE turbo mouthpiece, pcv reroute and a 4 inch catback (stock downpipe).

I have tuned it using some of the repository tunes but I'm looking to clean it up some. It is a little laggy and does smoke a bit excessively (quick throttle change, downshifting to pass, WOT seems decent.. just a little haze). I'd also like to increase boost a few lbs, though i don't know if i am doing it right or not. I added some in the desired boost tables and just get underboost codes..

So here it is, any and all opinions are appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by PayUpSuka View Post
    I have a 2005 CCSB 2500 6.6 LLY and 5 speed Allison trans. It's pretty stock except for a AFE turbo mouthpiece, pcv reroute and a 4 inch catback (stock downpipe).

I have tuned it using some of the repository tunes but I'm looking to clean it up some. It is a little laggy and does smoke a bit excessively (quick throttle change, downshifting to pass, WOT seems decent.. just a little haze). I'd also like to increase boost a few lbs, though i don't know if i am doing it right or not. I added some in the desired boost tables and just get underboost codes..

So here it is, any and all opinions are appreciated!
    You're confused on your boost tables. High alt is for high altitude, you will see less boost when compared to low alt. Same goes for your torque calculation tables under torque model. They are backwards, You'll make more torque at low altitude vs high. The air is thin at high elevations which is why you should see your turbo vane position go up from 32% to 41%, but again they are in the wrong tables...... Where did you get this tune? If i were you i'd start with your stock tune and go from there.
    Last edited by JaegerWrenching; 07-24-2019 at 12:30 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    You're confused on your boost tables. High alt is for high altitude, you will see less boost when compared to low alt. Same goes for your torque calculation tables under torque model. They are backwards, You'll make more torque at low altitude vs high. The air is thin at high elevations which is why you should see your turbo vane position go up from 32% to 41%, but again they are in the wrong tables...... Where did you get this tune? If i were you i'd start with your stock tune and go from there.
    I actually got it from the repository. Apparently it's shit.. lol

Do you have a file I can compare to?

I do have my stock file. I am finding little to no support for these engines/ecu's on HPT.. everything is EFi Live.

Post your stock file and ill look at it and help you out. I want to see what it looks like compared to this tune.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    Post your stock file and ill look at it and help you out. I want to see what it looks like compared to this tune.
    stock tune, ecm only.hpt

Here is the stock file. It's ECM only as no matter how many times i've tried, it always fails the TCM.

Thank you! I really appreciate it! I do some light tuning on gas engines but this is my first diesel. Had extra credits, figured I'd tinker with it some and learn a new platform.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry to dig up an old thread. Which tune was it from the repository? I was gonna pull one from there, but now i want to make sure I don't get a bad one!

Tuner in Training
    Whats a repository

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Tansman View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread. Which tune was it from the repository? I was gonna pull one from there, but now i want to make sure I don't get a bad one!
    I honestly don't remember, I've completely changed the tune anyways. It drove terrible.