Thread: Fine tuning turbo lq4. Critique my tune/log

Tuner in Training

Fine tuning turbo lq4. Critique my tune/log

Just wanting some more eyes on my tune. I feel like the car may be running richer than it should out of boost and runs hotter. It doesnt have cats or charcoal canister but the fumes can be strong. My wideband seems to suggest its happy but the nose and those driving behind me would disagree.Ive set the fans to come on sooner but it still builds heat pretty quick and stays hot unless Im on the hwy. I also would like opinions of a quick log ive done hitting boost in 1st and 2nd gear.

The car has been tuned long ago and now im diving into tuning bit by bit extracting the smaller things 1 step at a time. Im pretty happy with the tune but Im sure there always could be more adjustments to be made

Heres a quick list of what the engine setup is.
    6.0 lq4
    stock 317 heads
    lmjs stg 2 turbo cam
    forged bottomend at 9.5:1
    stock ls6 intake
    deka 80 injectors
    on3 84mm billet t4 turbo tuned upto 19psi
    3" full exhaust to gmmg muffler

Here is my tune file and log.
    750idlerpm and rev limiter 6600.hpt1stand2ndpull.hpl

If you have any doubts about the wideband, replace the sensor if you don't know the history or the mileage on the sensor. It's a cheap enough part and then you won't be left wondering if it's reading off.

The short term trims don't really suggest it's running rich and pulling a lot of fuel.

If you can add your commanded AFR and the wideband to the logs it would make watching that much easier. Also add your knock retard channel, it looks to be picking up some minor knock as the timing drops below what I was trying follow on your timing curves.

And remove the 1 bar MAP channel, it's skewing the charts when you log two different MAP channels.

As for the cooling system. What temp thermostat is currently in the vehicle?

Have you tested the radiator cap yet either? If the rad cap can't hold the proper pressure it can lead to the coolant temps staying much higher.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Im using an aem wideband,its a yr old. Id like to eventually add it to the ecm so i can log it directly with the 411 ecm. I know there are different ways to do this.Just havent gotten to it yet.

Good call on the map channel.Ill change that on my layout and add the knock sensor retard instead.

Cooling system wise its stock tstat and I havent tested the rad cap.I notice as I hit boost for a few seconds,my temps come up pretty quick but doesnt overheat.It would hit 220 with repeated hits..then come down to the 190s. I just turned on ltfts so maybe that might shed some light on how things are going.

Aside from that the tune seems to be ok?

What does your cooling setup look like? What kind of vehicle is it? Wondering if you have a fan airflow issue.

Tuner in Training
    its an 87 Transam with stock rad and dual electric fans.Has the airdam underneath the car but airflow isnt the greatest untill Im at steady cruising speeds the coolant temps come down and stay around 180-190* Im going to heat wrap my downpipe again as its fallen apart over the yrs and maybe look into heat wraping the intake pipe also and anything else to reduce under hood temps. Ive cut slots in the hood to make the scoops functional also.

I thought it mightve been timing related causing the engine to run hotter when its not in boost

Do the fans have a shroud or are they just stuck on the rad?

Advanced Tuner
    use a wideband you trust. I've found with single turbo's cruise/idle (low exhaust flow) wideband data can be incorrect when fitted in the dump pipe close to the turbine. Fine for WOT but the low flow turbulence can show incorrect data. I personally fit then further back in the section that used to have a cat to do idle and cruise and ramp up fueling. fit it where you feel the data isn't influenced by exhaust turbulence, disable closed loop and STFT then do for a drive to gather data. will soon tell you what your actual AFR is and how close or far out your VE table is.

I didn't see hotter than 99C ECT on your log. That's fine, especially for turbo car. What thermostat is fitted. The radiator cant cool the engine down if the thermostat isn't directing water through it

Tuner in Training
    The fans do not have a shroud around them. And using the stock 180* tstat

The wideband is an aem that's almost 2 yrs old and its about 18 inches away from the turbo. Havent had any issues with it so far or it reading much different from the wideband when doing pulls in the past. Ill have to get a log when its hotter and post it up. I don't have any cruise/idle hiccups and the car has been tuned fully. Im just starting to get into tuning and tweaking small things from whats already done.

No shroud makes the fans extremely inefficient. At speed the fans do nothing to aide in cooling. When sitting still the fans are only cooling the portion that the fans cover. With a proper shroud they will cool then entire radiator.