Thread: Whipple to HP tune 2015 F-150 5.0

Potential Tuner

Whipple to HP tune 2015 F-150 5.0

First off.. I’m not a tuner, but I’m learning a tone of stuff as the money keeps flowing out of my pocket.

My latest issue is... I have a Whipple 2.9 supercharger with 1900CFW billet elliptical throttle body, dual electric fans on Whipple heat exchanger,Whipple coolant reservoir , stainless works long tube headers, and a built transmission. I have had a complete custom HP tune written for my truck that seems to be working great except for now I?m getting IAT readings that are almost as high as the engine temps are.

Example: 100 degree day... the engine temperature is running consistently around 204 deg. IAT stay around 130 until a couple of WOT from speeds of 70-100 then they jump up to 190-202 degrees which retards the timing and turns the truck into a slug. The IAT?s do lower back down after returning to normal highway speeds. Is there something in the tune that could be causing this (that?s what Whipple told me)? Or do I just need to fork out more money and install a killer chiller system?

I never had this issue with the Whipple tune...

Is that IAT2, or post blower charge air temps? If so, is the build fairly new, and if so has it had this issue from the beginning? Just a guess here, but is the intercooler system bled properly? I know on my Whipple install it took several times to fully get all the air out of the intercooler/pump/tank system. If that's not bled or circulating properly, it would cause IAT2 (Manifold Charge Temp) to climb fast on a pull for sure, which would result in the symptom you are having (low timing due to IAT2).

I would also check the intercooler pump and make sure it's running/flowing properly if this is the case.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

check your intercooler pump

Potential Tuner
    Sorry, I just realized that I didn?t have my notifier on... anyway here is what I have found so far. Intercooler pump works great and has good pressure. Heat exchanger fans were not coming on until a certain temp was reached so I rewired them to come with the key. Let truck idle and rather quickly IAT2 temps jumped up to 168. So today, almost to the point of ready to trade this thing in... I decided to take a bore scope and look inside the blower because I had read where you should service your Whipple about every 50,000 miles. And to my surprise there was oil inside the blower where it shouldn?t be. Apparently my catch cans off of the valve covers haven?t been doing as well as I thought they should. So I pulled the blower off and I couldn?t even shine a flashlight though the fins. So now it is soaking in a hot bath tank until tomorrow. Also, I did not have very much antifreeze inside the supercharger which really concerns me. And when I say it didn?t have very much, I mean the amount that came out would have probably filled a small sonic cup and that?s it. So before reinstall tomorrow with new gaskets/seals I will be looking for a blockage in the intercooler system. Also debating on installing the killer chiller or not.

Take your PCV hoses off while engine is running and check for excessive vaping from valve cover vents.

I had to top off my IC for a week or two. I was told it could be worse on the trucks due to the height / location of components.

Which catch can? How often do you check them?

Surprised you were not getting knock with oil mixed in the charge and such high temps.

Potential Tuner
    The catch cans are made by BBK and I check them every single time I fill up with fuel. The passenger side collects more than likely he drivers side. And I?m sure I would have had a knock issue, but I very rarely ever drive my truck hard. Update... the intercooler cleaned up amazingly well, noticed a slight leak in antifreeze from the heat exchanger(looks like the Whipple seal wasn?t installed just perfect) all new seals are ordered. Pickup a 170 degree thermostat, all new motorcraft coolant and going to do a oil/filter change. Still contemplating on if I should install the killer chiller system or not. I have several youtubers that love the system, and I also have people telling me that if I did ever start driving it hard with the killer chiller I could destroy the a/c clutch by driving the car and spooling it up so high with th a/c on?.?.?. Does any one have an opinion on them?

I would just get it running as intended with good seals, and enough coolant. if you don't drive it hard it will be fine save yourself the time and trouble. Even with 90-110 degree IAT2 temps (gt350 compression ratio) I am more than capable of plenty of power.

make sure those catch cans are working as intended. Cant speak to BBK as I have UPR.