Thread: New guy here!!!

Tuner in Training

New guy here!!!

So the good news is i just bought hp tuners pro and I'm ready to learn some basic tuning. The not so good news is that i am going to be practicing on my 2011 ZR1. So far i have done kooks 1 7/8 headers and the the catted x pipe so i think a good place to start is getting my check engine light for that fixed. After that i am going to be installing a 14%od lower and 2.6 upper pulley along with a BTR stage 3 cam Meth and Injectors. i am looking for advice on what book or books to buy to get started on a basic tune for the exhaust work.

What wideband are you using?

Codes are easy.

First make sure you're in advanced view. Edit-->view, advanced.

Then go to engine diag, DTC's tab, find whatever codes it's throwing and set them to no error reported and uncheck the SES light and there ya go. No more codes.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post

Codes are easy.

Then go to engine diag, DTC's tab, find whatever codes it's throwing and set them to no error reported and uncheck the SES light and there ya go. No more codes.
    i don't have a wideband yet, thanks for the info though.

You need a wideband before you can do much. You're blind with the stock O2 sensors.

Tuner in Training
    Ill have to get one of those installed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR1VETTE View Post
    So the good news is i just bought hp tuners pro and I'm ready to learn some basic tuning. The not so good news is that i am going to be practicing on my 2011 ZR1. So far i have done kooks 1 7/8 headers and the the catted x pipe so i think a good place to start is getting my check engine light for that fixed. After that i am going to be installing a 14%od lower and 2.6 upper pulley along with a BTR stage 3 cam Meth and Injectors. i am looking for advice on what book or books to buy to get started on a basic tune for the exhaust work.
    Not sure why the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) is on since all you did was headers and catted X-pipe. You can surely benefit from a tune even with those simple mods, but the MIL light shouldn't be on. Use the scanner to read the DTCs and see which codes are coming up.

The best place to learn is right here on the forums, just read the threads on your setup (Gen 4) and realize there are different ECMs and OS so you might spend time reading something that doesn't apply to you. You probably have an E67 ECM. You tube has some great stuff also. Check out MegaMechatronics and ERM performance Tuning who is a forum member here and only watch videos on HPT 3.xx tuner software. The bulk of videos is for an earlier version which will confuse the crap out of you, as it did me.
    2012 C6 Base, Kooks 1-7/8" LT, Catted, NPP
    Novi 1500SL, 10% OD IW, Big Blower Cam, Flip Drive, 2x Alky, ID1000
    Nitto NT05R 305x19, 255x18 on CCW T10s
    Self built and tuned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kod2UTqrVwM

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ_Phil View Post
    Not sure why the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) is on since all you did was headers and catted X-pipe. You can surely benefit from a tune even with those simple mods, but the MIL light shouldn't be on. Use the scanner to read the DTCs and see which codes are coming up.

The best place to learn is right here on the forums, just read the threads on your setup (Gen 4) and realize there are different ECMs and OS so you might spend time reading something that doesn't apply to you. You probably have an E67 ECM. You tube has some great stuff also. Check out MegaMechatronics and ERM performance Tuning who is a forum member here and only watch videos on HPT 3.xx tuner software. The bulk of videos is for an earlier version which will confuse the crap out of you, as it did me.
    Thanks a lot for the info. i really appreciate it.

It will help if you don't go balls deep straight away too, learn some of the in's and out's with the nearly stock car first then branch off into the mods slowly so you don't get too far ahead of yourself.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    It will help if you don't go balls deep straight away too, learn some of the in's and out's with the nearly stock car first then branch off into the mods slowly so you don't get too far ahead of yourself.
    sounds good. i am currently in school until dec 15 so i won't be starting on it for a while. first i am going to start with just the exhaust then probably do lower pulley and cam after that. then ill get into the meth injectors and ported intake/102 throttle body.

Tuner in Training
    thanks, I was getting P0420 and P0430 I just unchecked the boxes and so far so good.

Codes are easy.

Tuner in Training
    I think I am ready for the injectors. I have 120# injectors from HPI with all of the flow data. do I just need to update the pressure to flow table?

Yes and no.

Depending on computer you can't just input the data given, some computers don't have a high enough limit to allow for such large injectors. If that is the case you have to double the stoich and half the IFR to get things to work. Then you have to start re-tuning from there. If you are lucky and everything was close before you will have to make touch ups to the VVE and MAF. Then work again on part throttle and full throttle tuning to get everything back in order.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I believe the zr1 computer will allow 120# injectors without having to do that. according to the data sheet they flow 152@70psi and again if im not mistaken the zr1 runs around 84psi which would require what your describing.

You may want to double check the factory fuel pressure settings. Most rate their injectors are 43.5 or 58psi of fuel pressure. Something tells me that the corvettes don't run 84psi of base fuel pressure.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You may want to double check the factory fuel pressure settings. Most rate their injectors are 43.5 or 58psi of fuel pressure. Something tells me that the corvettes don't run 84psi of base fuel pressure.
    Yah 37psi at idle and cruise speeds and 87psi under boost.

if you have "all" the data for a set of injectors then you'd know you need to change more than just the flow rate. Short pulse adder, offset and min PW need to be adjusted as well.

Flow rate is the easy part.. the other tables are what separate hack injector companies from the better ones

Tuner in Training
    if you have "all" the data for a set of injectors then you'd know you need to change more than just the flow rate. Short pulse adder, offset and min PW need to be adjusted as well.

Flow rate is the easy part.. the other tables are what separate hack injector companies from the better ones
    Is HPI one of those companies? all they sent was the flow data, nothing else. can i use info from another company that produces a 120# injector?

I have no idea who HPI is honestly. ID is the only one I trust/use personally

Tuner in Training

Potential Tuner
    you have to email them for your tuning data