Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help making a Base map...L77 & 6L80E

Advanced Tuner
    brick 2 bar I've set too 194.43 and 10.33 before without issue.

whats your barometric pressure at your location

i am in Charleston, SC...so about 25 feet....so 101.38kPa at the moment. either way though, i have commanded more and less fuel and gotten nothing from the injectors. With no MAP DTC, is there an additional reason the the MAP would be causing the PCM to fail to command injectors, even when logs show 14% duty cycle and ~80ms pulsewidths?
    Last edited by rcodea1; 07-24-2019 at 02:08 PM.

starter fluid got it to fire. log is attached. more to come as the even plays out. this was on working 6 cal....so i'll be playing with others to see if i can get it to start on its own fuel system
    Attached Files Attached Files

Do a Read Entire and see if VATS is what it's supposed to be. And since you haven't mentioned it specifically, you do know you have to do a Write Entire, not just Write Calibration, when changing the VATS status, either turning it on or off, right?

(I've always been a little annoyed by the language used for the VATS stuff- does enabling the patch DISable VATS? or the other way around... WTF?! Can we be just a bit less doublespeak about this, guys? I always have to go back and look at a stock file with it unaltered to remember how to translate from coder-speak to human, even though I've looked it up 50 times before...)

got it to fire, though not idle. first time getting fuel to it....all cylinders seem to be firing. log and cal attached.

basically i took the 'working 4'.hpt attached above, added the changes which blindsquirrel mentioned previously for the MAF fail and DTC changes, as well as the MAP data for the 2 bar brick. flashed entire for both engine and trans...for the 4th time now....i hope i dont press my luck too far as i have read people brick their PCM with that.

vats was already confirmed to be off/disabled...agreed, that process of write entire vs cal only is not as well spelled out as the SD mods. so the only logical thing i can come up with is that the MAF was not failed entirely/correctly previously. this was also with the trans in neutral, and no foot on the brake.

the MAP is still off....KOEO its showing 54kPa....and when firing it only dropped to 18kPa....so either i need to drastically alter the offset, or its a bad sensor. new one arrives tomorrow.

to further troubleshoot, i will temp in the original 1bar MAP and rescale in the cal....see what that does. i'll also start logging the WBO2 I have....though its ~10 years old and probably cant be trusted. i'll order a new one of those as well.

THANK YOU FOR THE ASSISTANCE THUS FAR! MORE TO COME TOMORROW!

Advanced Tuner
    put the stock map back in and change settings to 128.13 and -0.31 offset. if it starts then you've proven the MAP sensor is no good.

will do

the new 2 bar brick MAP came in today....a quick swap and confirmed that the new MAP i had was junk. into the trash that one goes. i rescaled a few things and messed with the cooling fans, flashed the file below, and it started. a few attempts to idle and it resulted in these logs.

Anyone see anything alarming?

the UEGO i have levels out at 11.5 AFR on the third log, but am not logging it yet as i do not yet trust it. new sensor needs to go in. that will be tomorrow/this weekend.

have to do a few things before i can drive it, but i am definitely getting closer to making the drive to get an exhaust and tune. then the stock O2 sensors can go in and i can make my way along. Thanks again for the help!

question i havent been able to track down an answer for: can a WBO2 be placed, calibrated, and tuned to be in place of the 4-wire narrowband stock O2 sensor 1 bank 1 and 2 ... goal to run full time SD closed loop, even through WOT? if so, can anyone point me in the right direction? I understand how to log using a different channel and a custom PID, but the cal files wont use that for adjustment....right?

re: O2 questions
    Short answer, no. Some WBs can output a 0-1v simulated narrowband(-like) signal, but the stock ECM will still go open loop anytime it enters power enrichment. No way around that part.

copy, answers that question.

here is my log of trying to hold an idle once warm. stilling using the 'working 8' cal. when i command 800-700rpm, it seems to hold ok, though timing seems to vary 15 degrees. i guess i need to get educated on how to tune idle on these e38 computers. and i'll have to get a tallent for open loop tuning as well until i can get the exhaust shop.

I did notice that once the osolation started, the WBO2 was reading off the scale lean.

any advice on afr to target on idle....sheed seems to need to be 700 or so with this STR PDS Stage 2 cam.

I guess i should get the WBO2 feeding into the scanner.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rcodea1; 07-28-2019 at 08:43 PM.

i updated the tune a bit for idle, but am still getting the oscillation when starting warm. log below shows some good startup when cold and between shifts. All was fine until i shut it off and restarted for a hot start. it cant establish an idle and dies.

any input on how to adjust this?

ok looking for some honest help here.

trying to figure out how to change the 'AFR Commanded'. I have my histogram working for AFR Error and such. no issues there. But trying to change the Commanded so that the histogram actually gives some data of use. As it is now, the AFR Commanded is holding above 12.5 AFR...which causes some bad data tuning the VE table in this SD tune.

So far I have messed with the PE EQ Ratio with no change....moved 1.130 to 1.000 to .950 across the whole table...and no change. I think I am messing with the wrong table.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are in open loop, so it's using the "open loop gas" to alter the fueling beyond the stoich value. Otherwise known as the open loop EQ ratio in other computers.

You will want to make it so that the computer is commanding stoich at operating temp. That means settings the desired cells to 1.00 to reach stoich. Because right now it's asking for .85 to .90 lambda, so that is making the AFR show 12.5ish on the gas scale.

All the cells above 150-160 degrees intake valve temp can be put to 1.00.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

copy, i knew i was missing something. I'll make the change and give it a try tonight. I was trying to get to the point of VE set to stoich across the light cruising range, safe enough to make it to the exhaust shop and turn back on the closed loop thereafter for the tuner to work their magic. Thanks for the help!

i made the adjustments to the open loop gas in both pn and gear, and i am still getting a commanded of ~12.5 when idling. at this point i am thinking of just leaving it and letting the tuner figure out what he needs for the VE tables on his own. see the tune and logs below.

i was thinking of just adjusting my histogram to reflect stoich, but that would have me using the VE tables to compensate for something which is already driving a richer commanded fuel.

i was looking to get the truck out on the road a bit to gather this data, but its pointless making VE changes when you cant get proper commanded ratios to 14.7.....right?!

Advanced Tuner
    tune using lambda, then you dont have to worry about what "stoich" is. Set up a histogram with eq error in % and then apply the changes to your ve table or maf.

Advanced Tuner
    Just looked at your stuff, this is why you are not seeing "14.7" you need to let the vehicle run longer or adjust this table. you can log engine run time to confirm, but your log is 90 seconds and ERT is 80 or so

open loop add.png

copy. i was going to mention that the lambda vs AFR point makes since, but my question was more on what is causing it to command a 0.85 vs 1.00 as i was setting up in the tables. the run time you mentioned makes more since to me. i'll mess with that a bit and see if that corrects the issue.

all this just to get the the exhaust shop lol

made those changes and got the truck on the road for the first time. seems to be ok when i am gentle on it around the neighborhood. however, the commanded is still showing .86 lambda or 12.5 AFR commanded....not sure what i keep missing. at this point, i may just start logging the actual in a histrogram and get rid of the idea of error. at least i have something i can use at that point....though it would still be using the VE to compensate for some other enrichment going on.

latest log and tune are below.