Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help making a Base map...L77 & 6L80E

In that log did you ever take your foot off the brake or is that not wired in right? No VSS in the log so it's hard to tell what you were doing there.

I don't know squat about E38s so I'm probably way off the mark here, and I know Dynamic Airflow should be shut off based on how it's set, but that's based on me assuming that disabling dynamic also disables all the related tables/calculations. The only thing I see is that the table, Engine > Airflow > Dynamic > VE Correction Factor, Initial is asking for 1.18 VE correction in the BARO/ECT areas shown in that log. Stoich @ 0% alcohol = 14.68, 14.68 / 1.18 = 12.44, which is suspiciously close to what's logged as AFR Commanded. Fill that table with 1.0000's and see if anything changes. Just guessing. If you don't plan to put the MAF back in later you won't need it again anyhow.

Logging all the channels available, except the ones not obviously in use, will help a lot in figuring out which part is causing what effect. If in doubt, add it to the list. You can go back later and remove the dumb ones once it starts making more sense what they all do and which ones are useful.

Whoa. P0102 is set to No Error Reported. Your log shows it's current though, somehow. P0101-P0102-P0103 should all be MIL on First Error. Uncheck the SES Enable boxes if you don't want the light on all the time.

What's up with P0178? Flex fuel enabled in the tune but sensor not hooked up? Don't do that. Disable it in the tune if the sensor isn't there, reenable it when you get the sensor working.

P0700 + U0100? Why are the ECM & TCM having trouble talking to each other?

P0107? Airflow > General > MAP Estimation Max/Min are still set for the stock sensor, correct those and see if the code goes away.

TCM P1915 indicates you may have a problem inside the trans with the IMS (gear position indicator switch/sensor thing whatchamacallit).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blindsquirrel; 08-04-2019 at 10:06 AM. Reason: add image

no, my foot was not riding the brake...it seems to have to do with the wiring harness and the instructions i was given. at present, there are two purple wires going to the 12V switched wehn brake is applied as directed by the harness manufacturer. however, from what i can tell, one is the actual brake switch going to X1 pin 9 which is correct...supplying 12V to the ECU. The other wire i have not been able to pin down completly, but appears to have at least one split in the harness which results in a 5v signal....i need to do more troubleshooting on this before i can be more clear. agreed though, the brake seems to always be on....which i assume is the 5v triggering the 12v brake switch.

I can log all the channels, my only worry there was the fidelity of the logs...i was trying to only log what was relevent to that particular event.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Whoa. P0102 is set to No Error Reported. Your log shows it's current though, somehow. P0101-P0102-P0103 should all be MIL on First Error. Uncheck the SES Enable boxes if you don't want the light on all the time.

What's up with P0178? Flex fuel enabled in the tune but sensor not hooked up? Don't do that. Disable it in the tune if the sensor isn't there, reenable it when you get the sensor working.

P0700 + U0100? Why are the ECM & TCM having trouble talking to each other?

P0107? Airflow > General > MAP Estimation Max/Min are still set for the stock sensor, correct those and see if the code goes away.
    i honestly stopped looking at the dtcs once i got the MAP to work correctly and the MAF to fail. I'll clean that up tonight.

I have left the Flex Fuel code specificly to remind me to install it....just need to take the time is all. I wasnt aware it would be messing with things. I'll disable tonight.

I dont know whats going on with the U0100...they are talking fine, and i can flash the cal to both. plus it is showing as a perminent, but not a current, so i think at this point its just residual. the P0700 is a new one though....again, not something i have seen prior to this log.

i'll correct the P0107 tonight as well. honest oversite on my part.

the P1915 is also new...though i suspect it has to do with the way i had to adjust the shifter cable to work between the shifter itself and the trans. even with the code, it seems to have been shifting fine, and goes into each gear as commanded without issue.

looking for some help here....still.....

I am trying to get this brake pedal position switch to work properly. Basically, the current setup works when the KOEO, but once the engine starts, I get nothing to register. It remains in the same state after start as it was just prior to start. log is attached.

Also attached are the wiring diagrams for the 2014 Caprice PPV, trying to understand what I am doing wrong, or if the ECM changes source data to output the state of the brake pedal.

At present, I have wired the dual brake switch (NO and NC switch) so that the NC portion connects the X1 pin 9 to ground. Once the brake is applied, that circuit is opened. With and without a 1K resistor, this wiring works fine and registers the state change on the log. Once the engine is running, this state does not change...whether I apply ground or 12V....it does not change. This essentially mimics the first wiring diagram.

My harness also does not have wires for a brake position sensor, nor does the brake pedal. This is the second photo. I can make something to mimic this wiring, but a perminent install will be challenging. My idea here would be to use the NC switch to apply a single resistanced 5v signal to pin 26. But doing so would mean eliminating the current setup.

My questions:
    1) what does the e38 do with this data when in operation? if it thinks the brake is always on or off, will that change the operation somehow?
    2) should I even make an issue of this? Afterall, the TCC is working as advertised.
    3) does the e38 computer change source data for the brake position once the engine starts?
    4) can/should I repin my harness to reflect a false brake position switch using a singal reistance and 5v signal?

thanks for the time!

~Ryan
    Charleston, SC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rcodea1; 08-29-2019 at 10:21 AM.