Thread: 2014 Chevy Silverado 5.3L

Tuner in Training

2014 Chevy Silverado 5.3L

First time using the application so bare with me ...

I have downloaded the stock Calibration and saved it on my Laptop.

I wish to turn off the down stream oxygen sensors on my truck do to the CEL being on for headers and high flow cats I installed last week.

Is there a switch already baked in to toggle that on and off ?

Or do I need to find the specific DTC turn the light off for it ?

This will put the truck back in closed loop correct ?

Thanks in advance

There is no toggle. You have to find all rear o2 sensor related codes and set them to no error reported and uncheck the SES box.

You will also want to disable the cat codes themselves, should be P0420 and 430. Then the COT (cat over temp) needs to be set to disabled and lastly the cat test and rear o2 sensor test that are located in the exhaust tab in the engine diag section.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    There is no toggle. You have to find all rear o2 sensor related codes and set them to no error reported and uncheck the SES box.

You will also want to disable the cat codes themselves, should be P0420 and 430. Then the COT (cat over temp) needs to be set to disabled and lastly the cat test and rear o2 sensor test that are located in the exhaust tab in the engine diag section.
    I disabled Cat Test in the Engine Diagnostics --> Exhaust Tab

I do not see anything for Rear o2 sensor test in that tab

I see the COT disable in Engine ---> Fuel -----> Temp control----> Catalyst Protection

Set P0420 and P0430 to disable and uncheck SES ?

Some computers may not have the rear o2 sensor test, if it's not there then don't worry about it. The SES box can be unchecked.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Interesting twist this weekend...

Set P0420 and P0430 to disable and unchecked SES on Wednesday

Sunday I throw a CEL for P0420 and P0430 as well as P2097 and P2099.

This is the first time I have seen the P2097 and P2099 codes

Quote Originally Posted by Todd1982 View Post
    Interesting twist this weekend...

Set P0420 and P0430 to disable and unchecked SES on Wednesday

Sunday I throw a CEL for P0420 and P0430 as well as P2097 and P2099.

This is the first time I have seen the P2097 and P2099 codes
    P2097 & P2099 need to be disabled for long tube headers also, P0420 & P0430 are most likely saved as permanent codes

Western New York's Performance Headquarters

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JnJSpdShop View Post
    P2097 & P2099 need to be disabled for long tube headers also, P0420 & P0430 are most likely saved as permanent codes
    What do you mean "saved as permanent code" ?

If the codes says permanent after the description, it will not go away when you clear the codes. You can still disable the code and the SES light but it may take a long while for the code to stop showing up when you pull the DTC's.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    If the codes says permanent after the description, it will not go away when you clear the codes. You can still disable the code and the SES light but it may take a long while for the code to stop showing up when you pull the DTC's.
    None of the 4 codes I listed show permanent ...

Is it possible that the 2097 and 2099 triggered the 420 and 430 codes ?

Even though i had the 420 and 430 codes turned off ?

Tuner in Training
    anything come of this? got a 14 5.3 and got p0420 p0430 perminant, p2097 came on yesterday. all this about a week after header and hf cat install. p0430 & p0420 disabled as well as cot disabled. ive been reading about permanent codes. is issue is that the truck is due for emissions and the codes wont go away. even though they are disabled from the tune. whats everyones strategy for this? just wait?

Advanced Tuner
    From my understanding a permanent will only go away if the condition is actually FIXED, and passes so many cycles. I've heard some say a flash with an MDI at a dealer will restore them but I don't know if that's true or not
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy View Post
    From my understanding a permanent will only go away if the condition is actually FIXED, and passes so many cycles. I've heard some say a flash with an MDI at a dealer will restore them but I don't know if that's true or not
    so im assuming that by disabling the code, that wont count as a ''fix'' to the ecu and the code will remain unless a reflash or the stock cats are put back on?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Hines View Post
    so im assuming that that wont count as a ''fix''
    Correct, just setting to no error reported doesn't make it go away. You would need to set it to no error reported BEFORE the permanent is set.
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

once you have a permanent code for something that will never be fixed, like a missing cat or O2 sensor, it will remain there forever to become relics to future civilizations, defining our peoples in the eyes of the more evolved.

"oh look, they just lived with permanent OBD2 codes."

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    once you have a permanent code for something that will never be fixed, like a missing cat or O2 sensor, it will remain there forever to become relics to future civilizations, defining our peoples in the eyes of the more evolved.

"oh look, they just lived with permanent OBD2 codes."
    You're a dick lol

To the O.P.
    Just go under Engine diagnostics and uncheck SES enable and switch to no error reported anything that is o2 related and says "sensor 2" on it.
    2023 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD

Tuner in Training
    Correct, just setting to no error reported doesn't make it go away. You would need to set it to no error reported BEFORE the permanent is set.
    that helps alot and makes sense. the truck had p0430 & p0420 before the long tubes and hf cats were installed. which explains why the codes are still around. the ecu hasnt seen the issue "fixed". ill re enable the codes and the cat test. install some non foulers and see if i can get the ecu to be happy, then turn the codes off.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyChevy305 View Post
    You're a dick lol

To the O.P.
    Just go under Engine diagnostics and uncheck SES enable and switch to no error reported anything that is o2 related and says "sensor 2" on it.
    I have a few permies of my own sir.

Potential Tuner

Some more things to try

If you saved a tune that does not have the permanent designation, reflash with that tune. Don?t reread the tune that has permanent.

Replace your PCV valve if you notice idle surge/rough or almost dying.

I have like 5 tunes I saved from my tuner guy that are all in tact - no permies and reflash with one trying different things after I load the tune but before flashing.

Just a thought?

Potential Tuner
    I too just I just installed LT headers, HF cats (Y), O2 sensors. I had the 420/430 codes before doing so.

After installing the cam 25-30k miles ago, my tuner had a helluva time getting g it to idle; never really got it dialed in. I was able to get it to stabilize by trying different combinations of VSS and max idle set point. Worked until 5k miles ago and still there after doing the headers, etc.

I keep flashing with the same tune which lasts about a day or 2, until my tuner said to check PCV.

Goes in for dyno in 2 weeks.