Thread: A little timing question

Tuner in Training

A little timing question

Good evening guys I need a little help. I got a 2008 Charger R/T 5.7 and Jay Greene did my tune but we are having a little issue.
    When we tune the car the knock sensors keep picking up a knock I guess or something tapping and it takes out timing and he says a good amount. I put the log so you can see.
    I have checked every thing that can cause the knock sensors to pick up anything. Jay has even turn them down and still. I have checked Brackets, dip stick and plastics and everything looks good and nothing is vibrating or tapping.
    What do you guys think and do you have any ideas what to looks for ? Thank you in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files

Where do you get your gas and what octane is it?

Tuner in Training
    Gas is mobil or chevron and the car only see 93 octane here in Miami

I see, sure has a butt load of timing assuming it's not cammed. Also fueling is a bit rich from 4200 up

Tuner in Training
    Yeah all the car has is K&N intake , Throttle body spacer, 180 thermostat , dual Flowmaster still has the cats on and stock cam.
    I wonder why he doesn't see that like you did. I mean he telling me only about how the knock sensors are picking up something and taking out timing.
    I'm searching and searching and I see nothing loose or what may be the cause.

Oh ok, than that explains why you would be running a bit richer. Perhaps he didn't turn off cot protection, personally would turn it off and just run it a bit richer so it doesn't go crazy like that.

I would add Knock sensor voltage to your scanner to see how much knock it's picking up

Tuner in Training
    whats the cot protection? and wouldn't that cause issues later if i wanted to use nitrous 100 shot?

It's used to cool down the cats. When you are trying to run it for performance, it will dump fuel like crazy with cats on and cot protection on. It's no good for someone trying to tune a vehicle. I always ask my customer's to remove cats when they can. Perhaps yours are just clogged and causing more issue than anything.

Tuner in Training
    Very interesting I think I might just remove them I'm sure they aren't gonna help when I get this issue solved and start tuning for nitrous

That does seem like a lot of timing. It is richer than I would run it but I would expect that to help with the STKR.
    What happens to STKR if timing is backed down 4 degrees?

Tuner in Training
    not sure Jay greene has been dealing with all that. He only told me that the knock sensors are picking up something and it's taking lots of timing out pretty much everywhere.
    It's weird cause I don't hear anything or see any black exhaust cloud at WOT and at WOT it pulls hard. next week I'm gonna do another WOT log and ill send to him and I'll post it here.

Tuner in Training
    Good morning guys. This morning I got a chance to do some WOT pulls and provide you guys the logs. Let me know what you see so I can learn to understand this all Thanks
    Jay greene says he put back the stock fueling to keep it rick just in case. I really can't find what would cause it at all. I don't hear or see anything and I want to use 100 shot of nitrous later
    on and this worries me and frustrates me as well cause is pulling hard at WOT but I know there's more there to give.
    Last edited by superiorstyles; 07-27-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Do you have any of the "Hemi Tick"?.....just curious
    and that is a LOT of timing

Tuner in Training
    Not that I know of. I hear no ticks at all. I have checked everything.
    Last edited by superiorstyles; 07-28-2019 at 11:07 PM.

If you log STKR at WOT you should be able to take the results and apply them to your WOT base table (paste special subtract).
    If that doesn't make a huge dent in the measured STKR I would be surprised.

So it's pulling 4-5 degrees while STILL running 21-22 degrees...WTF, Why? notice KR is going up while timing is going up? Tells me it doesn't want it. Another classic case of car should be on a dyno so the torque cell can tell you what it wants instead of guessing. SMH