Thread: 03 5.3 supercharger tune, "questions"

Tuner in Training

03 5.3 supercharger tune, "questions"

I put an 03 5.3 from a Silverado into a something else. I bought the Magnuson tvs 1900 supercharger kit for the engine. Apparently Magnuson doesn't include tunes with the kit anymore, found that out after delivery of the supercharger. From a little research, the tune that they did supply, was a little funky, as far as the way they did things. I would like to start from the trucks base tune, and build from there. I guess what I'm asking is, where do I start. I'm guessing that at the very least, I need to go 2 bar along with the appropriate map sensor. Kinda lost, or intimidated from there. Any pointers would be appreciated. A little background. I tuned my 5.3 that I put into a 300zx, but that was n/a. Maybe I'm making more out of this than I need to.

You're on the right track.

The ideal way to go about this is to use a 2 bar or 3 bar OS depending on power goals and or boost goals. If you plan to stay under 15psi, stick with a 2 bar operating system. I though most TVS1900 kits were under 10psi with the stock pulley anyway.

Yes, getting a 2 bar or 3 bar sensor would be wanted. It doesn't matter which you got, it's only the sensor settings that matter in the calibration.

It's not much to do after that besides building a starting VE table and tuning the VE by itself for boost/all around driving. If you kept the MAF sensor you'd do the same for the MAF, with that being done separate from the VE. All this would be done with a wideband o2 sensor.

And don't forget to make sure some of the little things like injector information from them in put in there correctly and the proper DTC's are disabled for it being a swap vehicle that may not be using the same emissions equipment.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    So use the fundamentals of n/a tuning. VE, MAF, and BIA. How is the boost tuned? Treat it kinda like PE? Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, you're still thinking of calibrating the MAF/VE like it was NA but now you just take it one step further and you have boost.

The same idea for using a commanded Lamda error or commanded AFR error still apply. You'll be targeting a value based on your stoich and the commanded EQ ratio or BE (boost enrichment) value. The error percent will be applied to the MAF or VE to get the commanded to match the actual AFR/Lambda.

Power enrichment/boost enrichment value should never change, it a value you set and then the airflow model is adjust to match those values as close as possible.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Another thing to consider is spark control past 1.2g cylinder airmass. I pass 1.2g around 6psi boost(I thinK). I'm currently digging to find what all needs to be changed when I cut IFR to 50% scale. I know the info is here but I just haven't been able to find it yet. Its all in how you word your search and then scrolling through all the posts to find what I need. I know some people cut IFR by say 50% the double stoich, that doesn't work on the P59 PCM since the stoich cap is 26. Anyway the 1.2g cap is an issue for me and I'm sure it will be for you as well.

Tuner in Training
    My computer has a 2bar SD upgrade available. I would like to try to run with the maf. Can I just re enable the maf in the tune, or is that function disabled in the file?

Tuner in Training
    Through research, I answered my own question. Next question. Tubing my VE table running SD, do I use the same steps as running with a MAF with the exception of failing it?

Tuner in Training
    I am in the process of tuning my spark table. I'm logging knock retard, do I make the corrections to the high or low octane table?

Are you getting knock?

If you applied the 2 BAR OS it uses the timing tables like the factory OS does. So if you wanted to add/remove timing it would be using the high octane table first, then it's using the low octane or a mix in between depending on the knock learn factor.

Tuner in Training
    Getting a degree or two around the 3200 rpm range when coming into boost.

Tuner in Training
    and thank you.