Thread: Looking for injector tune advice

Lightbulb Looking for injector tune advice

Hi- I am having problems understanding how I should be tuning my 09 Mistang GT 4.6 V8. I Replaced my injectors with some aftermarket injectors and the tech data I was provided is:

30lb Fuel Injectors replaces 0280150945 EV1 Style High Impedance 315cc
    • Design: Bosch GEN III EV1 Style Fuel Injector
    • Orifice Type: 4 holes Disc
    • Filter Design: Basket filter design at inlet
    • Spray Pattern: 15 Degree Spray Cone

• Coil Resistance: Approx.12 Ohms / High Impedance
    • Static Flow Rate: 30 lb/hr = 315cc/min @ 43.5PSI ( 300kPa )
    • Gain: 0.12ms/MG
    • Offset: 0.055ms
    • Turn on time @ 14VDC: 1.14ms
    • Turn off time: 0.85ms @ 300KPa
    • Amperage: 1.0 Amps
    • Pressure: Min 30PSIG/ Max 100PSIG
    • Length: 3" (74mm)
    • Diameter: 16mm
    • O-Ring Diameter: 14.5mm

I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I have been reading tons of tuning blogs and watching video after video, but a lot of what I am seeing is for other vehicles and has VCM editor fuel settings that are not on my screen maybe because they don't apply to my make/model. Someone did share a calibration-summary with me (attached), but I am not sure how it applies to my tune.

I am attaching my stock VCM edit file and hopefully someone can give me some advice on what changes I should be making. I am not looking for someone to do all of the work. I just want to learn more about tuning my vehicle starting with making it drivable with the new injectors. You know.. so I can get to work LOL.

Thanks in advance.
    -Mark B

Stock Tune File: mustang-gt stock tune.hpt

Calibration Summary:
    calibration-summary.png

The calibration summary IF (make sure) for your injectors goes in Engine-> Fuel -> General. There are tables that match the descriptions FNPW_OFFSET is Injector Offset vs IGNV. It appears you will have to also modify the axis on some to match the new data, if this is truly for your injectors.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm

That calibration summary is not for my injectors. Someone suggested that as a starting point. The information that WAS provided was in my original post but I am not sure how that applies to the tune. I feel like I am missing something important.

Yes you are. The calibration data. Without it the injectors are worthless
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm

They sent this over, but it looks a bit light compared to what I have seen from others. Would this be enought to get my vehicle running again?
    calibration.jpg
    Last edited by SimplyMarkB; 07-27-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Hi Mark -

The data you have on your first post looks correct & part number is just interchanged. Are your injectors the fatter style?

Anyways I entered the data on your file. Start with this and see how it works. Also, why did you change your injectors?

mustang-gt stock tune Edit.hpt

Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    Hi Mark -

The data you have on your first post looks correct & part number is just interchanged. Are your injectors the fatter style?

Anyways I entered the data on your file. Start with this and see how it works. Also, why did you change your injectors?

mustang-gt stock tune Edit.hpt
    Thanks for the info. I suspected injectors initially after some poor per performance issues. Significant hesitation on acceleration. MPG drops. No ECU faults though. No missfires, etc. I checked for vacuum leaks and found none. I usually heep high octane in the tank and sometimes mid but no lower. I regularly make sure I keep the fuel system clean. Injector cleaner, fuel filter change, etc. Still hesitation and rough idle, but no oxygen or mass air flow warnings. This led me to believe it was likely an injector issue. The car is 10 years old. I bought it used and it still had all of the OEM parts.

I am usually pretty handy with a wrench but tuning is something new to me, so I am trying to wrap my head around all of this because at some point next year this thing is getting a new driveshaft, transmission and a supercharger and I want to know this beast inside and out.

-M

Starts fast, sounds healthy but backfires on rev. :-/

DOH!!! :-/ Anyone feeling adventurous enough to look at the scanner file and offer an opinion? LOL Occurs on rev. First one at 1:00:57 in.

run test 001.hpl
    Last edited by SimplyMarkB; 07-27-2019 at 12:24 PM.

I know it has to be running rich at this point.. Not sure how to dial it back a notch. MAF spiking during the backfires. Jumping to over 7 & 8lb/min when it backfires.
    Last edited by SimplyMarkB; 07-27-2019 at 03:32 PM.

If you still have your stock maf tube use your injector slopes to dial it back. low slope is for low load high is for high load. You will need a wideband afr gauge to dial in the high end. If you you have a aftermarket maf tube use the airflow vs voltage table to dial it in, again you will need a wideband afr gauge to dial in the upper half of your maf table. look at your stft to dial to see how much fuel needs removed or added, until the car goes open loop.

you did have a open loop fault in the log then it went away so iwould check that.

Thanks! -M

I want to ask one more question. I am ordereing the AFR gage. But I would like to know if there is a way I can nudge the settings and retest. The car is running rich. I smell fuel in the cabin area and if you sccelerate fast it stutters and backfires. It is also drinking fuel like a slurpee. All symptoms of running way too rich.

Since my budget is tapped out and I still need to get to work, is there anything at all I can do? Any way I can nudge the AFR and retest until I am in the zone I need it to be?

-Mark

if you still have stock maf housing, adjust your low slope until your stft are reading as close to 0 as possible. if your maf housing is aftermarket adjust your maf curve.

Advanced Tuner
    Increase slopes to decrease amount of fuel and decrease slopes to inject more fuel. Try lowering minimum pulse a tad too if you have too.

Are you sure injectors are the issue? Did you try unplugging your VCT solenoids with stock injectors to see how it runs?

Increase slopes to decrease amount of fuel and decrease slopes to inject more fuel. Try lowering minimum pulse a tad too if you have too.

Are you sure injectors are the issue? Did you try unplugging your VCT solenoids with stock injectors to see how it runs?
    ugh.. no, I never tried that and I know this is now a lesson learned because I no longer have my stock injectors. I am going to increase the slopes though since running rich seems to be major issue right now.

I do have an aftermarket MAF tube and cold air intake. I adjusted my MAF curve and my low slope and it is running MUCH better. Thank you for the tips everyeone! I ordered an AFR gauge and I am going to continue learning.

Advanced Tuner
    Be easy on it until you get your wideband. Also, probably try putting MAF back to stock once you do install wideband and just keep working on slopes & minimum pulse width.

Be easy on it until you get your wideband. Also, probably try putting MAF back to stock once you do install wideband and just keep working on slopes & minimum pulse width.