Thread: 16 f150 3.5 Low timing / poor mileage towing

Tuner in Training

16 f150 3.5 Low timing / poor mileage towing

Hey everyone ,
    I was pulling my travel trailer ( 6500 lbs ) and was seeing absolutely abysmal mileage. I quickly got a cruise log and seen my timing was super low . Its not a great log , as I didnt have time to set the parameters. The only thing I can see that would cause this is ECT timing .. as I was running warm ( 230 C ) and the ECT table shows -50 deg fro 250 C ... So my question is... does anyone ever modify the ECT Table so its not so aggressive?? I tow with 91 oct.
    Attached is the crappy log and the tune I am currently using. cruise with trailer low timing.hpl87 performance.hpt
    2015 EcoBoost SHO
    Catless DP , 3 BAR , Intake , 3'' Exhaust

I have not touched a ford in years. I can say that on a turbo motor, you do have to be very careful with timing. Timing causing detonation will destroy that engine quick, really quick towing. On the other hand, the higher timing will spool the turbos differently. Sometimes less is more on a turbo motor, because it moves the energy further into the exhaust, which in your case, is closer to the turbo. I would keep a open mind, and start slowly changing and logging and seeing where things go. BTW, what defines poor mileage? Just curious, is that 10mpg? I would think that would qualify as abysmal to me, but then I don't pull a 6500# trailer. What was the terrain you were pulling in?

The best tow tunes for an ecoboost keep boost and timing low and hold gears/ use rpm vs using the turbos.

Tuner in Training
    Speed has a lot to due with ecoboost towing numbers. The 2013 that I had got 7 mpg at 70 interstate and 10-12 at 55 mph towing locally with my 5500 lb tt. If you tow fast you are on COT fueling all the time.
    Last edited by dsltech83; 08-06-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dsltech83 View Post
    Speed has a lot to due with ecoboost towing numbers. The 2013 that I had got 7 mpg at 70 interstate and 10-12 at 55 mph towing locally with my 5500 lb tt. If you tow fast you are on COT fueling all the time.
    Agreed. Adjust your shift points so that you stay in a lower gear (higher rpm, less boost)

Looking at your log, you're constantly pretty deep into boost and the PCM is using fuel enrichment to keep things cool