Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans issue after 0411 PCM Swap

Tuner in Training

Trans issue after 0411 PCM Swap

I have a 1997 Chevy K1500 Suburban, with a new L31-R Crate engine and rebuilt 4l60e. I did a 0411 PCM Swap to add efans and tune for the cam and headers. I used a 0411 PCM from a 2002 GMC Savana 2500 with the 5.7l and a 4l80. I did a segment swap from a Chevy Express 1500 with the 5.7l and a 4L60. I brought over the trans and trans diag from the 4L60.

After the initial swap the trans shifted well other than the shift point came at a lower rpm than expected. I have not messed with those yet.

Been driving it for 3 weeks that way with no issues.

Today I made a 25 mile round trip to a friends house. About half way there the truck began to no longer shift back to first gear after coming to a stop. Seemed like it was still in OD. I would have to manually down shift into first and then take off then shift to third or OD and it would upshift fine. But at the next stop light same thing again. Got to my destination and checked trans fluid and it was full.

I let the truck set for about two hours then went to go home same thing again, about half way there no down shift at a stop.

I am very new to PCM Programming so I'm not sure if this is a PCM issue or a transmission Issue. I'm leaning toward PCM since the issue is intermittent.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Tune attached.

Tuner in Training
    Anyone, anyone at all? Bueller??

Advanced Tuner
    Check trans current gear while expecting a downshift to 1st coming to a stop sign. If its attempting a shift you will see it.
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

86 SWB crate vortec 5.7/th350 The wife's truck

Tuner in Training
    I was finally able to duplicate the issue. Sunday morning driving to destination I experienced the issue again. Looking at the log file and noticed trans fluid temp got to 249 degrees.

Something is seriously wrong.

This definitely seems to have began after the PCM Swap because I was driving the truck long enough for the trans to over heat before the swap and never had the issue.

Trans temp went past 176 degrees after 12:33 mins of driving on surface streets. At 14:22 mins in I experienced the first no downshift and Temp was 190 degrees. Temp reached a max of 239 degrees 23:34 mins into trip.

Is there anything tune or PCM Pinning related that could cause this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Log files to and from destination attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    I see quite a bit of slip in 2nd and 3rd in the logs. also didnt see lockup. have you checked cooler flow? see if its getting fluid, use a temp gun to compare temp at cooler to trans

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Dicus View Post
    I see quite a bit of slip in 2nd and 3rd in the logs. also didnt see lockup. have you checked cooler flow? see if its getting fluid, use a temp gun to compare temp at cooler to trans

I will check that tomorrow and get back with it.

Tuner in Training

Drove today about 20 minutes. Trans fluid temp in the log rose to 189degrees. Checked the lines at the radiator and temp was 101-103degrees on both lines. Checked at lines going into tranny, temp was 171- 173 on both lines.

Tuner
    some better info on log file would help. here is one of my logs and the channels i use to see what trans is doing. the TCC circuit controls cooler flow, so need to see what state its in for sure. im no guru, happen to build 4l60s , and fairly new to hp tuners

Tuner
    did you calibrate for tire size and gearing on suburban. shift points are pretty low as well

Tuner in Training
    some better info on log file would help. here is one of my logs and the channels i use to see what trans is doing. the TCC circuit controls cooler flow, so need to see what state its in for sure. im no guru, happen to build 4l60s , and fairly new to hp tuners
    I will run these this afternoon and report back.

Tuner in Training
    did you calibrate for tire size and gearing on suburban. shift points are pretty low as well
    Yes, on the tire and gear ratio. And I agree on the shift points but wasn't sure what should adjust them to? Any suggestions?

Tuner in Training
    Sorry I havent replied, truck was down for a week or so. Had to chnage ball joints and front axle shafts. Got it back together of thrusday. Will getting logs today.

Tuner in Training
    Here is the latest log from my truck with Almost all Trans PIDS turned.9_14_19.hpl

Tuner
    would like to see these channels added if possible: TCC applied, TCC mode, TCC pwm duty cycle.

i dont think you are getting lockup, which is also keeping fluid out of cooler circuit. if you look at my log i posted , you will see those channels and how they change around.

Tuner in Training
    would like to see these channels added if possible: TCC applied, TCC mode, TCC pwm duty cycle.

i dont think you are getting lockup, which is also keeping fluid out of cooler circuit. if you look at my log i posted , you will see those channels and how they change around.
    Does not look like TCC is locking, here is the latest logfile. Thanks for looking at this for me.

Tuner
    have you tried applying lockup through scanner to confirm its working in trans? misfires will keep the pcm from allowing lockup, i did notice some misfires in your log. after confirming function with scanner, you could raise min threshold on misfire diagnostics to see if that is what is holding it off.

Tuner in Training
    I've searched for documentation for manually locking TC but did not find anything. After poking around in Vehicle\Controls & Special functions\Transmision I found TCC PWM Lock/Unlock I tried that. I could feel a change when I engaged it. TCC Mode never changed. TCC Applied did change when I toggled it. Looking at Lextech's spreadsheet there 5 wire that control TCC. I will re-verify their placement. I will also try to figure out how to "raise min threshold on misfire diagnostics" also.

Tuner
    in VCM editor, under engine diag , then misfire tab, raise min ect to match max. this should disable misfire testing.

Tuner in Training
    in VCM editor, under engine diag , then misfire tab, raise min ect to match max. this should disable misfire testing.
    I dont appear to have any tabs in the Engine diag.

nomisfire.PNG

Tuner
    need to be in advanced view. click edit , view, advanced