Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trans issue after 0411 PCM Swap

Tuner in Training
    OK, I think were getting somewhere. Here are the changes I have made:

1.) Changed Trans>Shift General>Perf option and change to 2 switch
    2.) In VCM editor, under engine diag , then misfire tab, raise min ect to match max
    3.) In Engine Diag, Turned off Misfire Detection MIL

Results:

I can now see the TCC locking up. I drove the truck for 38mins and the temprature still got up to 212 degrees.
    Next thing I need to do is adjust the shift points up. Could the shift points being to low contribute to overheating?

Attached are the two current logs, tune and config.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by davkenrem; 09-27-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Tuner
    my guess is trans cooler is stopped up. did you happen to blow out the cooler lines out when ya did the swap?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Dicus View Post
    my guess is trans cooler is stopped up. did you happen to blow out the cooler lines out when ya did the swap?
    Rebuilt trans, New cooler lines, Used Bigblock radiator. I have considered this but wanted to rule out the tune first.

Is there any downside to leaving the Misfire Detection disabled?

Tuner
    might consider a stand alone cooler. if cooler flow is restricted , so is the rear lubrication circuit. you should see trans temp at one of the cooler lines at radiator

not going to warn you there is a misfire, will be up to you to feel it. might check plugs and wires to make sure there isnt a miss happening.

Tuner in Training
    might consider a stand alone cooler. if cooler flow is restricted , so is the rear lubrication circuit. you should see trans temp at one of the cooler lines at radiator

not going to warn you there is a misfire, will be up to you to feel it. might check plugs and wires to make sure there isnt a miss happening.
    Thanks Eric !!!

Tuner
    no problem, get some cooler flow, then you can mess with shift points. dig around and find the bluecat trans spreadsheet, very handy piece. if you cant find it, let me know and i can try and email it to ya

Tuner in Training
    no problem, get some cooler flow, then you can mess with shift points. dig around and find the bluecat trans spreadsheet, very handy piece. if you cant find it, let me know and i can try and email it to ya
    Eric,

Found the Bluecat, Nice software, Made shift changes and it is shifting great. Will get and checking the radiator Trans cooler this week for blockage and adding an aux cooler. Thanks again!!

Tuner
    glad i could help. post back what you find

Tuner in Training
    OK, it has taken a bit of time to get all the parts together but over the last week or so, I ordered a B&M 70266 Universal Cooler and a Derale Trans oil filter kit. Had to buy additional fittings. Finished installing everything this morning. While I had everything apart both I blew air through the radiator trans cooler. I got very little trans fluid out of the radiator cooler but it blew both ways without resistance.

I took a test drive today for about 35 mins and the trans still over heated. I got to 249 degrees before I got home. Couple of things. I took a LED Thermometer with and test the temps at the lines at the trans and at the radiator and the oil cooler. The highest temp I got at any of those points was 76 degrees. Seems like the trans is not circulating any fluid at all.

Here is the logfile.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    are you running hardlines for the cooler lines or rubber? have you removed lines from trans and blown through? do you have original line set? aftermarket cooler should work fine by itself. not knowing your layout, i might cut original lineset and run temp rubber lines to cooler only ( no factory cooler or aftermarket filter ). and see if that doesnt give you some flow.ill dig up flow schematic and post it tomorrow for you. i personally dont think it wise to put filtration on cooler circuit, but that is my opinion.

Tuner
    here are some flow schematics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    OK, so I temporarily replaced the hoses from the lines to the aux trans cooler with clear tubing to make sure I was getting flow and I was. So I put on regular lines and took a test drive. The trans maxed out at 189 degrees after 30mins of hard driving. And returned to 165 in stop and go driving. The in-radiator cooler is for sure the issue. Will order a new one from Rockauto. Thanks for all the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by davkenrem; 10-15-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Tuner
    awesome, glad you got it figured out. 100 degrees plus ambient is a good rule of thumb for trans temp

Tuner in Training
    I want to thank everyone who participated in this thread. All your help was invaluable. Ultimately this issue was not PCM related but some PCM issues were resolved on the way to finding the ultimate culprit. A new radiator replaceed the used one I had which had a restricted trans cooler. The New rad and aux cooler kept trans temps below 160 degrees on my now familiar test loop, which with the old radiator pushed temps to 250+

Thanks again for all the help!!