Thread: Warm up spark question...

Warm up spark question...

hello guys
    working on my personal 07 ram 392 stroked from an 5.7 auto, 4x4

soon after motor starts and starts to idle to warm up .. spark average is lower than after I been driving the truck and I come to a stop to idle in gear or not .

I have blocked spark by using spark min under engine>spark>minimum spark >base ? trucks sounds and feels great as it warms up but it does not feel right to just block the spark using the spark minimum base table..

question . how can I increase the average of spark given with out just capping the minimum say to 6 or 7 degrees..

Thanks in advance

Senior Tuner
    Once an engine is warmed up, it generally burns fuel better (vaporizes in intake track and valve area) and the tune is setup to provide extra fuel during cold startup to accommodate for this (Cold Startup Adder table). If more fuel is delivered than really needed, it will idle higher than commanded and the ECU will pull back timing to bring idle rpms back down (especially when in open loop still when ECM cant make fuel adjustments, it relies on just spark and throttle to maintain idle). When the engine is warm, you will see the cold adder table goes to zero and you will see higher timing.

Do you have a wideband to monitor AFR during colder startups? Most widebands have a 30 second warm up cycle, so youll need to have a non-ignition switched 12v source so you can power up the wideband, let it warm up, then start the car.

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post

Do you have a wideband to monitor AFR during colder startups? Most widebands have a 30 second warm up cycle, so youll need to have a non-ignition switched 12v source so you can power up the wideband, let it warm up, then start the car.

wide band is on a constant 12v for this issue .. attached a log of a warm start with some driving. truck drives great on pt and soon be going to the dyno to finalize WOT .. but mainly use truck to pull a small toy hauler .. the issue is really noticeable every time i restart truck even warm (stopped for gas, store, etc) with trailer hooked up .. i can see when timing starts to follow pt timing but this is after driving for a short distance .. i would figure after allowing it to warm up and allowing X tables to time out timing would be as expected but every time i restart the truck i would have to drive it for a short distance before spark starts to follow pt timing ? really annoying with trailer hooked up..

06300CSRT8 going to pay close attention at the start up tables ? any pointers or leads to what tables i should be looking at would be appreciated ..

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    can you post the tune?

Senior Tuner
    also add idle desired to the log if you end up relogging.

desired idle is in the channels ?.
    Attached Files Attached Files