Thread: Gen 3 Speed Density Ignition Timing Scaling

Tuner in Training

Gen 3 Speed Density Ignition Timing Scaling

Hi guys,

I am tuning a Gen 3 truck. Twin Turbo, with a blow through MAF, ID1050X Injectors. I am having an issue where I am going over the top of the ignition timing graph and am unable to scale it. The y-axis "cylinder air mass" only goes as high as 1.2 while on wastegate I am already at 1.3.

In speed density is the cylinder air mass calculated by the maf still or is it by the injectors?

Is there some way I can rescale it?

If not, what is the workaround?
    Attached Files Attached Files

The speed density calculation and mass air flow sensor both output the same result, the amount of air mass going through the motor. Cyl air mass looks at the "dynamic airflow" which is the end result of the speed density calculation assuming MAF is disabled.

I also hate the way gen 3s do ignition timing, i wish it was just RPM vs MAP like every other ECU but no such luck. After any table is exceeded it uses the last rows of the table. That is any cyl air mass higher than 1.2 uses the 1.2 row on the spark map.

Also injectors have nothing to do with the air mass going through the motor...

Tuner in Training
    Could I not double my injector size, halve my VE and reduce my cylinder air mass? Has anyone done this?

Because you would have to scale so many different tables to get that to work right its not worth the effort for something that really isnt an issue. Set the last row for what ever you want timing to be at max boost.

Timing required for 1.2 g/cyl is fine for anything higher than that.

See if you have this table, called "AFR Advance"

whatafradvdoes.jpg

I agree that more resolution is necessary. My engine requires ~10* of timing at 2800rpm and 7psi of boost,
    but it requires more like 0 to 2* of timing at the same RPM and 25psi of boost.

Not very friendly, that factory map
    Surely there are other ways to pull timing for more boost. Just be creative and explore every map available.