Thread: Increasing throttle response

Advanced Tuner

Increasing throttle response

Hello all!

I have a mostly stock 14GT. When I punch the throttle from a dead stop or even rev from idle it seems like there is a delay-more so in drive. Is there any way to shorten the time it takes to rev up and also quicken the revving itself in the tune? In essence to make the throttle more touchy? Driver demand? Timing? Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Advanced Tuner
    I've never had an issue with any delay revving. Did you have a log of it and we'll break it down and see what it's actually doing.
    It could be torque management in your trans, torque ratios

I always tune the distance tables on the cars I tune. On mine, I'm pretty sure if I were to rev it up while sitting in neutral, IVO would advance -50* to try help pump in as much air as fast as it could. My N/A car has no delay, issue at all revving or throttle response.

One thing I like doing to the auto's for throttle response and better/ different drivability is rescaling the driver demand axis using these values.
    15 42 66 92 121 172 241 312 406 542

It could even be a tip-in lean condition.

Definitely need a log.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok guys, this is from a log last weekend where I was testing new tires. I made a few dead stop WOT hits to see how much dig traction I have.

Looking at the log you can actually see an RPM dip that follows tip-in detonation control. This is the hesitation or delay I'm speaking of (not always as bad as this time). Play at .5x speed and watch it starts to go up for a split second then dips, then goes up again. I think if I ease into it there are no issues, or if I stall the care up it's fine too.

So I'm guessing I need to disable tip-in or reduce it? Should I turn off Airflow Tip-In or go the spark route? I am open to suggestions please. Thanks!

P.S. The channels in the log are all out of order, that is not my doing, it's the software. The original log is organized.

Hesitation_Short.hpl
    Last edited by blackbolt22; 08-05-2019 at 09:43 PM.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.

I don't see how any airflow based tip in management could be responsible. Your throttle is getting to essentially wide open before the little dip. At 900 rpm, there is probably no difference in airflow between 30* open and 82* open anyway.

Spark advance definitely dips a lot. Some of that is probably from tip in det control. I would be logging MP weight and seeing what the borderline spark value is though. That probably has a lot to do with it.

Right at the RPM dip, is when you register the first 0.1 mph speed, which shows that the trans is likely engaging. Maybe you need to allow more TC slip, allowing higher RPM before any engagement. Hiting 100% load at 900 rpm isn't ideal for the engine.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    Maybe you need to allow more TC slip, allowing higher RPM before any engagement. Hiting 100% load at 900 rpm isn't ideal for the engine.
    It's a 3600-3800 stall, it has lots of slip however I am not sure why it bursts to 100% load for a moment at low rpms. Any suggestions on what to change? I'll check some older logs with MP weight, I just removed those channels recently to gain some higher resolution.