Thread: New guy with a logging question

New guy with a logging question

So i own a MPVI2 and what i would like to know is, if i were to have the car tuned by one of the big name tuners and they lock the tune would i still be able to log the car with vcm scanner.The car is a 16 Mustang GT and a supercharger is in the not too distant future and i just want to be sure about what i will be paying for as far a tuning is concerned. Also can anyone please tell me if i can access the computer with vcm scanner if the tune was loaded from a SCT X4 device.

Thank you
    Last edited by [email protected]; 08-01-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    So i own a MPVI2 and what i would like to know is, if i were to have the car tuned by one of the big name tuners and they lock the tune would i still be able to log the car with vcm scanner.The car is a 16 Mustang GT and a supercharger is in the not too distant future and i just want to be sure about what i will be paying for as far a tuning is concerned. Also can anyone please tell me if i can access the computer with vcm scanner if the tune was loaded from a SCT X4 device.

Thank you

if you use certain tuners yes, if the tuner changes the strategy code then no. ive had success with every tuner ive tried except Gearhead, SSI, and Brewcity Boost. these tuners change the strategy to garbage and make the HPTUNERS useless. although the SCT software can easily unlock any HPTuners tune.

if you could somehow change the strategy you could unlock any tune.

The Scanner works independent of Editor and its licensing stuff. All the scanner functions work even on vehicles that aren't licensed.

Quote Originally Posted by thegeneralLee View Post
    if you use certain tuners yes, if the tuner changes the strategy code then no. ive had success with every tuner ive tried except Gearhead, SSI, and Brewcity Boost. these tuners change the strategy to garbage and make the HPTUNERS useless. although the SCT software can easily unlock any HPTuners tune.

if you could somehow change the strategy you could unlock any tune.

Are saying even a locked tune by lund could conceivably read by and sct device? I am getting an edelbrock blower with sct X4 so that would be good news.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    The Scanner works independent of Editor and its licensing stuff. All the scanner functions work even on vehicles that aren't licensed.
    Thankyou good to know, will help with doing some reverse engineering of sorts.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Are saying even a locked tune by lund could conceivably read by and sct device? I am getting an edelbrock blower with sct X4 so that would be good news.
    not quite. I am saying you can use SCT to read any HPTuners tune. HPTuners can only read SCT tunes that havent had the strategy changed/scrambled.

HPTuners fails in this aspect but it is by design. SCT is expensive but doesnt have this restriction, so if you want to reverse engineer locked HPTuners tunes, use SCT.
    If you want to reverse engineer unchanged strategy code SCT, use HPTuners.

i know you can ask a tuner if they change strategy code, and they will tell you. I also know that this lets them know your intentions.