Thread: Saturn Ion Timing and Fuel(80lb injectors)

Senior Tuner

Saturn Ion Timing and Fuel(80lb injectors)

Couple of things going on here guys, but the most concerning one is the timing in this thing. Commanding 22* and getting 34*! Attaching log and tune to look at with this. I cannot figure out where the "pantom timing" is coming from. Never had a car do this in my life. And no, its not double the commanded but Holy Hell it's close. Any ideas??
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    It almost seems like the cylinder airmass isnt reading correct and you're a few cells above it which would coincide with the timing read out or the spark advance isnt reporting correctly because thats a shit load of timing and you arent reporting any knock at all. What fuel are you running? I went through the file and dont see anything that would add 10+ degrees of timing for no reason. Which mpvi unit do you have? one or two? My mpvi 2 has been acting kind of glitchy at times where it doesnt log maf airflow and hz ,cylinder airmass, idc for no reason sometimes and when i restart the log its there. Maybe contact support?

Senior Tuner
    I've had to restart scanner to get all channels to connect a few times. I still have mpvi 1 here. I did just find the connector for the purge sol is broken that leads to the TB. New one coming tomorrow. Buddy has one on the shelf at home and is going to drop it off here tomorrow. If you look, the timing is from the low boost it's reading. Should be a heck of a lot more air with the 2.9 pulley that's on it. I want to test the valve on this thing and force it closed. Hopefully, I can go back to the data I have for the 80s without modding the tables to get this running. Has header with O2 extension as well. Trims are saying the car is within 3% of lambda and the wideband in the car says its idling at 12.5, got an uphill battle on my hands here I think.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Senior Tuner
    Figured Id toss up the tune that got these 80s to idle at 14.7 on wideband and is driving really good. Still not making boost with it but I am now convinced that is a mechanical issue we need to find here. This is an VE tune with trims active.
    Last edited by MMGT1; 08-05-2019 at 09:21 AM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    you forgot to change a couple cells for open loop only. o2 readiness ect and ltft min ect - set both to max to ensure no closed loop operation. i always like to turn it all off but thats me. i found the cobalt sc settings for boost control for prop and integ to work slightly better so instead of .005/.008 make it .005/.001. i agree with it being a mechanical issue with the boost system not allowing full boost. it shows youre only getting 3 psi. my friends lsj was only getting 3 psi and i determined it was the ecm because i tried my bypass solenoid and actuator and it didnt change anything but when i just made it work strictly off mechanical power boost came back so we just left it like that

Senior Tuner
    Yea, my wording was terrible there, lol VE Tune with active trims is what I should have said. Ive enabled the trims fully now with just the MAF failed to test this out. Didn't have a chance to look at it yesterday but I'm about to get into it again. It seems pretty redundant to tune with the wideband only with these when the narrow band is just going to skew it outside of PE when enabled anyway. I always use the input from the narrow below PE and it works nicely. Granted, what the wideband sees does make bringing in the narrow fast as all hell. Im going to block the hose from the mani to the control solenoid. This should tell me what's going on. I managed to repair the purge so that it works and is sealed but I don't trust it either. Looked pretty rough inside when it was off.
    Last edited by MMGT1; 08-05-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Senior Tuner
    Here is what I'm starting with here if your curious.

Edit: Blocked line from manifold to Boost Bypass Solenoid and it makes boost. Ordering one from Rock Auto. Also added tune that has MAF and MAP working, with trims active and driving great. I cant fix fuel until the new bypass is installed. antino321 posted most of that second tune and it works a lot better with the 80 data he had posted over what I have for sure.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MMGT1; 08-05-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    I use the lsj injector spreadsheet for the 80s made from of omega/04redline and have had no issues with it which it appears you are using as well. I hope the solenoid works for you because like I said my buddies lsj boosted 3psi only and I tried my bypass solenoid and actuator to which it didnt fix anything which is why I determined it was the ecm. Plus all he changed was the ecm from the supplied place in their stage kit and I couldn't try his old ecm as he sent it in as an exchange/core. But since there is nothing left that controls boost besides the ecm and the blower itself but you get boost bypassing the electrical control part which says the mechanical part is correct so ecm is all thats left
    Last edited by TCSS07; 08-05-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Senior Tuner
    It may be just that. It doesn't respond to anything other than having that hose from the manifold to the boost solenoid pinched. Nothing else will allow any boost over 3.5lbs. I did find out this car has been exposed to a leak for a long time and sat at least one winter with water floating around in a pretty major way. He is having his mechanic go over the electrical and if it comes back fine then I guess hes going to have no choice but to replace the PCM in it.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    Its not a problem bypassing the solenoid and leaving it but if you want a new computer go for but my buddy is going on 3 years now no issues

Senior Tuner
    It was the computer. Ran the OSID number and found it to be from a Malibu. The Malibu doesn't have the hardware in it to control boost even though it'll take the flash. Got a Redline one and instantly fixed the boost problem.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    Couple of things going on here guys, but the most concerning one is the timing in this thing. Commanding 22* and getting 34*! Attaching log and tune to look at with this. I cannot figure out where the "pantom timing" is coming from. Never had a car do this in my life. And no, its not double the commanded but Holy Hell it's close. Any ideas??
    To update on your cyl airmass issue, in your log the dynamic airflow matches the VE airflow. The standard hptuners parameter for Cylinder Airmass uses MAF airflow for the calculation. You need to create a custom parameter using Dynamic Airflow as the base and copy the formula over.

Also in your original tune you are using a flow rate multiplier of 1.800. This effectively just makes your entire IFR table 63.5 for all cells, if you are not using a vac/boost reference regulator this will cause issues if you ever tune by MAF. In the VE table you will end up just skewing everything around this. The PCM caps IFR at 63.5, this multiplier really just skews everything, it is much better to just scale the airflow tables from the start to get a more consistent tune.