Thread: Guageless wideband setup for HPT?

Potential Tuner

Guageless wideband setup for HPT?

First try at tuning. Vehicle is a 2012 FFV Sierra 4.8L. I have not bought HP Tuners yet as I want to make sure I?m buying a version that is comparable with a wideband sensor for data logging...

1) Does the most recent version of HPT support a WB sensor input alone, I.E. without a gauge?

2) If I have to buy a gauge also, but want the HPT do do the logging of AFR, is it only the AEM X gauge that will work?

I believe if you had the PRO version, you can wire a gaugeless wideband straight into that for logging. It would be pretty straight forward but you also have to spend far more money to make it work.

The AEM OBD 2 wideband is plug and play and works with the regular non PRO version, so you're saving like $200 or whatever it costs for the PRO feature set. It will have the gauge and can be removed from the vehicle after you are done tuning if you want. Though depending on your mods, you will want to look at the fueling a lot even after it's tuned to make sure something else is going wonky when you do beat on it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

my experience is limited but I bought the AEM and the wb o2 plugs into the gauge and the gauge plugs into the side of the HPT dongle I think its called serial, ive got a 2008 4.8 Silverado 2wd and I recently put a cam in it. be prepared to put some time into this. i'm having a good time learning all this stuff but I don't have to drive the vehicle i'm working on. u know what I mean? pretty good support here on the forums but they have lives too, you have to be patient.

The AEM 30-0310 'inline' controller is gaugeless, and has the same outputs as the standard 30-0300 (serial & analog). The serial output can be logged without the Pro features, there's even a preconfigured channel for it in the scanner. The only drawbacks are that you need a serial-to-USB cable to connect it to the logging laptop, and the serial data rate isn't as fast as the analog (or OBD, if using the fancy 30-0334).

https://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...afr-controller

Advanced Tuner
    I actually have a patch for the 30-0334 and 30-0310 that ups the serial data-rate and adds an extra digit of resolution.

O/T: Don't remember where I heard it but somebody once said "a 'guage' is where Elmer Fudd parks his car." LOL. Sorry.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I believe if you had the PRO version, you can wire a gaugeless wideband straight into that for logging. It would be pretty straight forward but you also have to spend far more money to make it work.

The AEM OBD 2 wideband is plug and play and works with the regular non PRO version, so you're saving like $200 or whatever it costs for the PRO feature set. It will have the gauge and can be removed from the vehicle after you are done tuning if you want. Though depending on your mods, you will want to look at the fueling a lot even after it's tuned to make sure something else is going wonky when you do beat on it.
    Thank you.
    This turbo+th400+fueling has destroyed my budget... seems like going to PRO vs. guagless is ?6 of one/half a dozen of the other?... I?ll definitely get a gauge but for now I?d like to get my rig running under boost using my tuners? tune, and then modify and tune from there.

Will my HP Tuners software show AFR in real time and effectively BE my gauge while driving?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    I actually have a patch for the 30-0334 and 30-0310 that ups the serial data-rate and adds an extra digit of resolution.
    Will this allow me to run my laptop w/HP tuners as a gauge?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by geneass View Post
    my experience is limited but I bought the AEM and the wb o2 plugs into the gauge and the gauge plugs into the side of the HPT dongle I think its called serial, ive got a 2008 4.8 Silverado 2wd and I recently put a cam in it. be prepared to put some time into this. i'm having a good time learning all this stuff but I don't have to drive the vehicle i'm working on. u know what I mean? pretty good support here on the forums but they have lives too, you have to be patient.
    I?m already impressed by the input.

This rig does have to drive immediately- I live by a well known turbo LS truck tuner. The goal was to get his base tune in, get it running on 6-10psi with gas+meth... then tune myself as I move to e85 and higher boost levels.

Any input before I start making purchases?

Potential Tuner
    Current inventory:
    Stock 2012 Sierra 4.8 FFV

On shelf:
    Trick single turbo setup
    Meth setup
    TH400 swap

Poised to buy:
    Injectors (round 1)
    HP Tuners
    Wideband interface?

What?s next ?

post pics!

Isnt 2012 a Direct injection engine?

tell me mooore

So you are using 93 octane + meth, thats like 600-800hp worth of juice already without even getting crazy.
    Make sure you don't go too small on the injectors (only do this one time) make sure you get at least 80lb/hr imo

TH400 is non-cruise friendly. This isn't a street car I guess?

"next" depends on your familiarity with the engine/trans/car. Did you pull the motor apart? I wouldn't recommend it.
    Did you change the cam? Make sure you swap the cam/springs at the very least. Stock engine w/ stock camshaft is dissapointing even with a turbo.
    The valves will float at 8-9psi of boost and you will be stuck like 350rwhp with a turbo.

Wideband recommendation:
    I prefer the gauge with analog output for logging.
    Without a gauge, how will you tell if the logging is accurate?

there is something called a "ground offset" which all cars appear to have, and it varies depending on how the electrical system loads up.
    For example my wideband logger (inside HPtuners) will log 0.5 air fuel richer/leaner if I turn on the headlights and run all the fans at once.
    So I use the gauge constantly to 'double check' my ground offset calibrations and usually need to adjust them if I am driving at night or during the day.

Advanced Tuner
    Ground offsets like that are why you MUST have either:

a. OBDII/CAN interface
    b. Serial data interface or
    c. Analog interface WITH GROUND OFFSET COMPENSATION.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtal0n View Post
    post pics!

Isnt 2012 a Direct injection engine?
    TH400 is non-cruise friendly. This isn't a street car I guess?
    The valves will float at 8-9psi of boost and you will be stuck like 350rwhp with a turbo.
    2012 is not DI, but it uses PWM and an internal returnless regulator and fluid pressure sensor that I have to work around. I?m considering tuning it for stock injectors at first, about 450rwp on gas, my research shows.

But I live by an e85 station, so the plan is non-intercooled on cornwhiskey and meth. Looking at very large injectors.

The TH400 with 3.23 years and 28 or 29? tires should be alright for a cruise- but I did the math and a GV 6 speed with lower first and second gears in the trans will be cheaper than building an overdrive that will take this power. (And Denny?s driveshafts will shorten their driveshaft tree of labor)

This platform allows me to get to the 10?s without a rollbar, and allows for dirt cheap 14 bolt full float rear ends to be swapped in when I get serious.

When I bought it, it was immaculate. In 60 days it got 3 hit and runs and lost the wheel caps- which made me realize it is the perfect sleeper as it sits- which is why I?m adverse to a choppy turbo cam. Love a work truck that hauls a**.

Springs are a given- thanks.

I?ve really been considering the stock cam or the ZR1 cam which guys are having good luck with up to 7200 and sounds stockish.

I have a 3600 stall from my big block- which TCI predicts will flash to 3800-4K with this combo... it can?t be THAT boring on the stock cam. LOL

So I?m looking at a laptop for the HP Tuners, springs, wideband interface, and paying my local guru gets me running. I?d like to be tuning it myself when I step up the injectors and switch to corn.

Also need to figure out how to get the factory trans temp guage into the th400 and still read values via OBD/CanBus.

Potential Tuner
    Sounds like the AEM interface and a decent laptop are the simplest methods. Thx.