Thread: Cracking the proper computers for control over OEM traction and stability control.

Potential Tuner

Cracking the proper computers for control over OEM traction and stability control.

I was wondering if HPT has ever looked into being able to control the computers that control traction and stability, therefore giving us the ability to optimize it for higher power and traction levels?

I assume almost every model or generation might have a different ebcm etc so I could see if it wasn't feasible. But it would be really awesome to be able to change tire sizes so my C5 ebcm would work properly with my bigger stagger, or even optimize it for use with my 700hp engine and 275 drag radials. The addition of launch control above that even is probably a pipe dream but a man can dream 😂.

Obviously there are aftermarket boxes but those are hard to implement on a Corvette transaxle and can't even detect differential wheel speed from left and right wheels.

All that fancy OEM hardware and no way to manipulate it 😭

Tuner in Training
    you can set your rear gear ratio to correct for a different tire size..

Tuner in Training
    Changing the tire size in the pcm wouldn't affect the traction control systems, AFAIK. Basically, it changes the speedometer to display correct MPH and possibly CAGS would be more accurate for it's enable/disable functions. For auto's, I would assume only MPH since shift points are typically adjusted through RPM. Maybe part throttle cruising could be affected whenever OD request is enabled? But I'm not 100% sure on that. Just assuming it should be based on how PCMs typically work from my experience.

As far as cracking the TC systems, I doubt anybody would ever try to make a product like that available for the public. Too much liability there. If it got out that someone wrote a program for person "A" to override federally mandated safety protocols, whoever that someone was, would probably be held liable in the event of a fatal accident or something of the sort. Too much risk for too little reward basically.

With shift schedules being based on MPH, I would think having them correct would be a plus. I know with my Fusion they can be picky, and having my MPH off by 2 miles an hour going with my GPS it tend to do weir stuff at times far as when it shifts. I,m not a HP user yet, but with my Cobb set up you dont have any control over the ABS system at all, traction or other wise. I think they do that more as a safety factor.