Thread: GTO E40 2 Bar Boost Safe Mode

Tuner in Training

GTO E40 2 Bar Boost Safe Mode

Guys,

I'm new to HPTuners, the E40 and tuning in general. I put a procharger on my heads/cam/long tubes 05 GTO. I built a paper cal, put 94 lb/hr injectors in, 2 bar MAP modifying my prior NA calibration and loaded it in. The car runs pretty good but when I whack on it (2.7 psi boost) it goes into safe mode. I've searched the net/forums a couple of nights with no luck. I looked through the editor looking for a max MAP table with no luck. If anyone has worked through it I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks,

Aaron
    Last edited by asquinton; 08-05-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Post the tune.

And what code is it tossing for REP?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    You need to post the tune file for us to help out

Tuner in Training
    Brother I don't know what REP is. NEWB!

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Post the tune.

And what code is it tossing for REP?

Reduced Engine Power.

Limp mode.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks man. I really appreciate the help. The tune is good at cruise, good in power enrichment to the point where Safe Mode kicked in, and starts and idles well. Just don't know where to go to move the MAP/MAF/Throttle position vs airflow out of the way for boost. The car is set up for 8.5 psi gage of boost. Thanks for your help!

2005 GTO Manual Stock 2 bar OS MAF Tune - 2346306725 rev 2.hpt
    Quote Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
    You need to post the tune file for us to help out

Tuner in Training
    Yep added boost and have not sorted tune to fix it. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Reduced Engine Power.

Limp mode.

Advanced Tuner
    under engine diag/airflow. disable the tests for p0101,p0106,p0121 by setting min ect to max and set the p0068 test to max also. Disable the post 02 test under the exhaust tab as well.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks a ton for the help TCSS07, I really appreciate it. I'll give it a try and go test today.

under engine diag/airflow. disable the tests for p0101,p0106,p0121 by setting min ect to max and set the p0068 test to max also. Disable the post 02 test under the exhaust tab as well.

Tuner in Training
    Done, tested and resolved. Thanks a ton for the help TCSS07!

A few other things---since you did the tcs patch, make the whole ETC TCS max chart 100 except the first row. Keep that at 0 across. That's in torque mgt.
    Spark is 21 degrees---you might want to lower that to 14 or 15 while you are tuning. Lower in the low octane table. Base running airflow is high? Is your idle spark low? Big cam?
    IVT Terms (afr) should be 3.96 since you did the double stoich.
    PE Eq ratio(gas) should be around 1.27 across since you are boosted now. Delay 0, Enrich 2.0000
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Thanks a ton Lakegoat, I'll have a look at your suggestions this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    A few other things---since you did the tcs patch, make the whole ETC TCS max chart 100 except the first row. Keep that at 0 across. That's in torque mgt.
    Spark is 21 degrees---you might want to lower that to 14 or 15 while you are tuning. Lower in the low octane table. Base running airflow is high? Is your idle spark low? Big cam?
    PE Eq ratio(gas) should be around 1.27 across since you are boosted now. Delay 0, Enrich 2.0000

Tuner in Training
    Lakegoat,

Thanks again for your help man. I made the changes to the ETC TPS max table as you described. I don't know what that table does but it's updated to your suggestions.

My understanding is the low octane table is what the engine runs on with the 2 bar OS. If I have this wrong please let me know. I backed the timing off to 15 at 1.32 gms and blended the timing back to max NA from my prior tune in the low octane table. If you think it's too much let me know. I'll update the high octane table to match the low octane table just to be safe.

The idle spark timing is about 20 deg but has a lot of variability. I have not tuned the idle yet, I'm just using what the prior tuner did for idling with the cam. The cam is a much as you'd want for a daily IMHO. It's a custom one I put together. 234 deg @ .050 on the intake, 246 deg @ .050 on the exhaust, 113 deg lobe sep. It's a 6.0 with ported LS3 heads and a bump in compression to 11.5:1.

I made the changes to the IVT terms as you suggested. Once again, I don't know what this table does, sorry.

I agree with you on the PE EQ Ratio. I bumped it to 1.2 in the stardard table. My plan was to use the Boost PE EQ table to enrich under boost. I ramped it in from NA of 1.2 to 1.3 at higher boost levels. If you think I'm off please let me know. I updated the delay and Enrich to your suggestions. Again, I'm not sure what either parameter do.

Again, thanks a ton for your help! If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Best regards,

Aaron

It uses the high octane table. Make the low octane table 5 degrees less than the high. You will probably find that 15 degrees is max with your blower on 93. So don't be shy about puling some timing while you are tuning. It will keep your engine alive. Do you have a wideband and EQ error table set up in scanner?
    If you want to know the function of s table, hover the cursor over IVT Terms and down at the bottom it will give you a short explanation.

Tuner in Training
    Done and thanks again for your help. I'll see how it runs once I blow the cal in today.

I have an EQ ratio error table set up and yes I have a wide band. I have an Innovate LM-2 wideband. I had it working one time on the serial port but it's hosed now. I literally have more time in trying to get the LM-2 to read in Scanner (still not working) than I have in working the calibration. I'm about ready to sell it and buy something else that works.

It uses the high octane table. Make the low octane table 5 degrees less than the high. You will probably find that 15 degrees is max with your blower on 93. So don't be shy about puling some timing while you are tuning. It will keep your engine alive. Do you have a wideband and EQ error table set up in scanner?
    If you want to know the function of s table, hover the cursor over IVT Terms and down at the bottom it will give you a short explanation.

Yeah, Tuning a blower car with no wideband---Kaboom