Thread: DMT 6 Swap for Jeep Patriot

Potential Tuner

Question DMT 6 Swap for Jeep Patriot

Hey guys, I've got a getrag 6spd from a 09 Caliber srt4 that I am trying to swap into my Jeep Patriot but had electrical/ computer questions that I wanted to get ironed out before I start cutting and taking things apart. Mechanically speaking, everything goes together and fits as if it were factory. However; the same cannot be said about engine and transmission communication. I have considered getting a Haltech 1500 and going from there, but I want to try and keep the OE computer #broke_college_student.

With all this in consideration, the current transmission is CVT, but I would like to convert any and all configurations to replicate if there were a manual in its place. I understand that there is a LOT of oversight on my end but it does have an option for manual transmission on the software. I've seen on other threads where people have discussed similar topics for GM's and that there is a lot more on the back-end that HP doesn't have access to; would this also be the case for myself? If so, what should I look into next?

I get that is is a big can of worms but I'm open to learn as much as possible and look forward to you guys' insight!

Potential Tuner

DMT6 Swapped Jeep Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by hharkins17 View Post
    Hey guys, I've got a getrag 6spd from a 09 Caliber srt4 that I am trying to swap into my Jeep Patriot but had electrical/ computer questions that I wanted to get ironed out before I start cutting and taking things apart. Mechanically speaking, everything goes together and fits as if it were factory. However; the same cannot be said about engine and transmission communication. I have considered getting a Haltech 1500 and going from there, but I want to try and keep the OE computer #broke_college_student.

With all this in consideration, the current transmission is CVT, but I would like to convert any and all configurations to replicate if there were a manual in its place. I understand that there is a LOT of oversight on my end but it does have an option for manual transmission on the software. I've seen on other threads where people have discussed similar topics for GM's and that there is a lot more on the back-end that HP doesn't have access to; would this also be the case for myself? If so, what should I look into next?

I get that is is a big can of worms but I'm open to learn as much as possible and look forward to you guys' insight!
    After a number of days of continued testing, we've concluded that HPTuners cannot disable the TCM Communication DTC [U0101] in the ECM without there being additional issues. The primary issue at hand involves the interlinked communication for the ECM, TCM, and the Transmission assembly. Specifically, the TCM receives data from the hydraulic valve assembly, ISS, and OSS to then be continually 'bussed' into the ECM as live data to instantaneously communicate live conditions. This live data is then translated by the ECM to further adjust various systems based on road conditions.

The data received by the TCM from the Transmission assembly, is sent to the ECM via CAN BUS C; however, simply disabling this module has proven to be non-futile. In summary, once the engine DTC U0101 is disabled using HPTuners, the ECM appears to enter a safety mode and doesn't send a start signal or injector pulse once the key is cycled through ignition. We have yet to disable the SKIM protocol, as there hasn't been a security light displayed or any other DTC's illuminated. We had the range switch connected and set to Park however, it didn't want to crank regardless of how we tried to modify the parameters in HPT. We even tried bump starting it and found that ECM wasn't sending signal to the injectors.

In theory, simply swapping the harnesses and computers from a manual car would be the most archaic approach but my options are limited with this chassis. We were able to source a manual car of the same motor and pulled the harnesses, computers, and modules in one go. Being a novice, I hypothesized that with all of these modules and computers communicating via CAN, each will have its own signature and serial hash programmed by the manufacturer.

After all this in mind, we were able to get everything swapped over (mechanically and electronically) and after a successful track day and road trip, I am comfortable with saying that she runs like it came from factory. To anyone who is interested in doing something similar or wants to see everything in detail, I'll have it linked here.
    Last edited by hharkins17; 11-10-2023 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Pictures

Dang i was thinking of using a 2011 patriot cvt ecm to see if that would help with my afr issue but if it will not work correctly without the auto transmission that may be out the picture now. Good info man.