Thread: 2000 GMC Sonoma 4.3L to L31 and 411 Swap

Potential Tuner

2000 GMC Sonoma 4.3L to L31 and 411 Swap

Hello Everyone,

I am New to this forum as well as new to tuning. I have done several V8 swaps in S10's in the past but were always carburetor engines.

Here are the details to what I have done so far and looking for some advice.

My Current Truck is a 2000 GMC Sonoma that had a 4.3L V6 with black box VCM. I have pulled the 4.3L and Transmission. I then bought my donor truck for the V8 with was a 1997 Chevy C1500 with 5.7L Vortec and 4L60E. I transplanted the engine and transmission from the 97 into my sonoma. I tried at first to use the 97 black box with some success but had issues with running extremely Rich and then would stall when warm. From reading about the 97 VCM's I decided to do a 411 swap and purchased HPTuners MPVI2 with VCM Suite (It actually just showed up today .

I just did the 411 swap and just wrapping up all the Wiring I used the 2002 Chevy Express Pin out diagrams as well as the referring to the 2000 gmc pin outs and made my own spread sheet. I purchased the 411 used from a local guy that said came from a 2001 S10 with 4.3L. When I finished yesterday I attempted to start which it did fire up but quit right away and security light came on which i figured it would due to the VATS. I will take care of the VATS once i program the controller.

I have read that to get the V8 to work I need to load a 2002 Chevy Express Tune. I have also read that some guys have just used the stock 4.3L Tune then just did segment swaps for the engine. Again i am new to this whole tuner thing but very eager to learn about it. I have purchased 2 universal credits as well but don't want to waste them.

I guess my main question to get started is do i license the PCM I have and start configuring it to a V8 or do i just write the 2002 express tune into it right of the start. I don't need the VIN to match my truck as this will be mostly a truck to play with at the truck and currently in Ontario Canada they have stop the Emission testing on Light Duty Vehicles.

I am sure I probably will need to provide more information but this what I have come up with so far.

Much appreciate any advice or feedback

Thanks,
    Last edited by jdmobile; 08-06-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    This will require a total of 4 credits. First license the PCM in the vehicle. (2 credits) Search the repository for a tune file from an 02 Express 5.7 with your transmission configuration to make life easier. Download and license that tune file(2 credits) and write it to your PCM.
    Last edited by Oleblu; 08-06-2019 at 01:39 PM.
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

86 SWB crate vortec 5.7/th350 The wife's truck

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleblu View Post
    This will require a total of 4 credits. First license the PCM in the vehicle. (2 credits) Search the repository for a tune file from an 02 Express 5.7 with your transmission configuration to make life easier. Download and license that tune file(2 credits) and write it to your PCM.
    Thanks for the Reply. I just found a a tune file in the repository that was for s10 and 5.7L and 4l60E that looks like it will work. I compared that tune to the 2002 Express Tune and much is the same other then the 2002 Express uses the 4L80E. COuld seem to find one with the 4l60E 2wd.

Do I have to license the PCM in the vehicle for sure or can i just License and Write the s10 5.7 Tune I found to the current PCM? I don't care what VIN is in the PCM in the end. Just seeing if this is possible and save the purchasing of 2 credits.

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Unless you have already used two credits to license the current 411 pcm in the vehicle. You cannot write to a pcm you have not licensed.
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

86 SWB crate vortec 5.7/th350 The wife's truck