Thread: New to tuning 09 crown vic 4.6 2v bone stock

New to tuning 09 crown vic 4.6 2v bone stock

FWIW I've been a professional mechanic for 30+ years but I have never tuned a vehicle before. So I just got a tuner set up from here. I have downloaded my base tune and saved it.

I've read a lot about changing a few things with fuel and timing. (just looking to get a bit more out of the car - I run almost exclusively E-85 in the car) But when I go to look at those setting in my file its not looking the same and I cant find it.

So just looking for an idea where to start. I learn quick but finding information about actual tuning isn't near as easy as I thought it would be.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ok... I'm messing with the fueling. Not sure what some of these parameters are for so I just edited stoich afr and added 1 degree of timing in the borderline knock table at loads at and above .30.

Changed the up-shift points a few mph but left the down-shifts alone. Comparing the tables I think I'm ok.

Pretty sure there is a better way to do the fuel changes but I haven't found it yet.

So not much action in the Ford section here or just no interest in 4.6 2v engines?

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have an specific questions? Tuning for E-85 shouldn't be a big deal as long as the actual fuel system can handle it, you will need to test and blend your own fuel every fill up or run a flex fuel sensor if your planning on pushing the ragged edge at some point, it doesn't all come out of the pump at exactly the same concentrations every time.

Thanks for replying!

Specifically right now I am trying to figure out the spark tables. I read on here that the borderline knock table is the one to make adjustments to. But then I have borderline knock modifier for flex fuel and the MBT spark tables. Right now I'm trying to figure out which one is doing the heavy lifting so to speak. Insight on that would be great as well as if I am missing something.

Thank you!

Advanced Tuner
    they are all used

the ecu calculates many different spark advances, mbt, bdl knk, piston slap, cold emisions csser, decel, fbs idl spk, etc... theres a bunch. The lowest of all calculated is used.

dont forget the modifiers. Simply looking at the table is rather useless. A value of 5 could give you 10 degees and a value of 10 could give you 5. You have to factor in all of the modifiers.

OK makes sense.

Thanks for the info!

Tuner in Training
    sent me a tune thanks
    Last edited by VENTILATOR; 05-07-2021 at 11:40 AM.
    2011 CVPI
    LIFTED 3"
    On 275 / 70 r16 Hercules MT...
    CUSTOM EXHAUST CAT BACK 2.5"
    Full Prisoner cage in back (for my dogs or my humans)
    Love It
    LAS VEGAS,NV