Thread: Fuel Temperature

Tuner

Fuel Temperature

Has anyone figured out how to read/log fuel temperature through a flex fuel sensor on a P59?

I've read the content is based on the amplitude of the signal, and the temperature is a function of the signal frequency.

Is anyone aware of HP Tuners adding this functionality to the scanner?

Advanced Tuner
    Nope, but if you really want to do it you can with an arduino, then output a 0to5v signal to log that.

maybe you can find a 1/8" NPT sensor to monitor fuel temp and install it close to the rail, 0-5v analog output
    I did the same thing for fuel pressure, the sensor was $20 ebay

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben C View Post
    Nope, but if you really want to do it you can with an arduino, then output a 0to5v signal to log that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtal0n View Post
    maybe you can find a 1/8" NPT sensor to monitor fuel temp and install it close to the rail, 0-5v analog output
    I did the same thing for fuel pressure, the sensor was $20 ebay
    Thanks for everyone's feedback! I was hoping to use the data/signal thats already there. I wonder why HPT support hasnt added this yet... Seems pretty straightforward.

It isn't simple and might not even be possible. The computer would need the appropriate input, its not a analog voltage signal,

you say its a frequency / amplitude signal which tells me that the output is a pulse (could be sine or square usually) and that requires some kinda PWM input I would think. So if the computer itself doesn't have it... there is no way to program one in. You can't just 'program' a virtual circuit into the computer.

Advanced Tuner
    It isn't simple and might not even be possible. The computer would need the appropriate input, its not a analog voltage signal,

you say its a frequency / amplitude signal which tells me that the output is a pulse (could be sine or square usually) and that requires some kinda PWM input I would think. So if the computer itself doesn't have it... there is no way to program one in. You can't just 'program' a virtual circuit into the computer.
    The computer does have it, it can take the ethanol content input which is the frequency part of the signal, the temp is the pulse width.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben C View Post
    The computer does have it, it can take the ethanol content input which is the frequency part of the signal, the temp is the pulse width.
    whoa, are you saying that a computer like the 411, using a GM flex fuel sensor, is going to report fuel temperature in HPtuners scanner,

and if so, will it somehow use temperature of fuel in the tune somewhere (that we can adjust) to change some other parameters?

Thanks for posting this quark (I had no idea!) And I am curious what else it can "use" this information for.... !

Advanced Tuner
    whoa, are you saying that a computer like the 411, using a GM flex fuel sensor, is going to report fuel temperature in HPtuners scanner,

and if so, will it somehow use temperature of fuel in the tune somewhere (that we can adjust) to change some other parameters?

Thanks for posting this quark (I had no idea!) And I am curious what else it can "use" this information for.... !
    No, I meant to say the input already exists to read the frequency which represents the ethanol content. So there is a pwm input. It wouldn't be unreasoble to think it's possiblr that the ecu could read the pulse width which is the temperate, however I can't see hp tuners adding the functionality as it won't make them money.
    I can see how my previous post was misleading, sorry for that.