Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob question that I'm not getting a direct answer when I search for it. S10 V8 swap

Tuner in Training

Noob question that I'm not getting a direct answer when I search for it. S10 V8 swap

Hello,

I've been digging all over misc forums and I'm trying to figure out the best path forward.

I'm doing a 2002 5.3L LS swap into a 2001 S10 ZR2 that had a 4.3L V6. I have an 0411 PCM and everything is working as far as that goes.. 4l60e trans, speedo, 4x4 engagement, etc.

I'm planning on retaining the emissions components as part of the swap and am going for a 'factory like' swap.

I have various pinout diagrams for both engines, although truth be told, each time I find a pinout the information is a little different.
    I plan to modify my existing 4.3L harness.

Here is where my question is:
    All I want to change is the engine and the emissions components. I understand I'll have to build a sub-harness for the injectors and the coils.
    However, I'm getting concerned when it comes to the pinout differences for each engine.

When I look at various pins, say the one for the ATF temp sensor ground on the trans, its on pin C1-1 on the existing harness, but its supposed to be on pin C1-16 on the 5.3L pinout.

So then I start to think: Is this a good case for a segment swap? Can I just swap the engine and engine diag segments and then focus only on those pins? But my concern is overlapping pin usage if I do that.

Should I instead just go through the pinouts, pick out the emissions and engine stuff, and ignore the rest/leave it in place?

What is the best way to proceed?

Thanks,
    ~Cap.

Tuner in Training
    I guess I'm confused as to how the PCM 'knows' what its supposed to be.

If I do a segment swap with a 2001 GMC sierra with a 5.3L stock file (engine and diag segments), and then repin ALL of the pins that are different (and there are a lot!) from here:
    https://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/2001pinpcm.htm
    a lot of wires change in regards to the rest of the truck, such as transmission pins, BCM pins, etc.

Is that what I need to do? Or should I just swap specific pins only related to the engine and its specific sensors?
    Will the fact that I left the rest of the segments in place, and didn't re-pin those parts, continue to let it function?
    What about overlap of pins?
    C2-1 is a currently not used, however the 5.3L pinouts show it as a ground. What do I do in these types of cases?

Please advise.

Tuner in Training
    Here's a good example of what I'm confused by.
    Existing wiring (this is a 4x4 S10):
    16 WHT 776 Transaxle Range Switch P
    17 RED 1226 Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch Signal C
    18 BLK/WHT 771 Transaxle Range Switch A

But the pinouts I've found for 2001 VCM do not have anything for these purposes at all. Kind of a big deal to be able to put it into 4wd.

So what gives? Would doing the segment swap on engine and engine diag segments cause me to lose 4wd? Would it just continue to work as before as long as there is no overlapping pins?

Tuner
    http://lt1swap.com/99-02_vortec_pcm.htm has some good info on the pcm wiring and swaps

Tuner in Training
    Yes, I've examined that page quite a bit. Thank you.
    Some of it conflicts with what other people are putting up on swap sites, and some of it conflicts with an autozone lookup of a similar vehicle.
    So I don't know what to believe.

I realized that the pinout I was looking at supposedly for my truck wasn't the right pinout. So now I'm on the hunt again for the PCM connectors pinouts.
    2001 S10 4x4 with 4.3L, 4L60E, and A/C.

I was really hoping to get that data compared today and build a work-order for myself to follow when I re-wire/repin.
    Ah well.

Tuner in Training
    I found this so far, which gives really well with the lt1swap and autozone pinouts for the C1 connector.
    But alas, nothing for the C2 connector in that thread.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine.../#&gid=1&pid=4
    Last edited by Capstah; 08-07-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I have gotten wrong information from Autozone, I would not use them as a reference for anything other than pointing you in the right direction.

What year/make/model operating system are you planning/trying to use? That's what will determine which diagrams to follow.

Advanced Tuner
    Yep what blindsquirrel said, pick a year/OS/platform/engine and make your harness based off that. Don't go the other way around or you'll be chasing a few pins later on.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner in Training
    2001 S10 with 4L60E and A/C.
    Keeping all emissions stuff.
    0411 PCM

Swapping in a 2002 5.3L LM7.

I was looking at bad data at auto zone for sure.
    I ended up finding ONE of the PCM original pinouts for C1 on my truck, but cannot find C2 anywhere.
    When I compare this original pinout to the pinout at lt1swap.com is it LOT more similar. Imagine that.

So there isn't as much cross-swapping pins and overlap as I had originally thought.

I guess my question is then, can I just copy the pinouts @ l1tswap.com, run a couple of missing wires and make a few sub-harnesses, etc. and then use HPtuners to simply tell the PCM that is is now a 5.3L?
    I also understand it makes sense to copy the engine and engine diag from a stock file in the repository over the top of my pre-existing 4.3L config.

Is that all I have to do? Seems too easy.

You still need to pick an operating system before you will know which diagrams to re-pin to. PCM pins are software-configurable - one OS may use hypothetical pins #s 1, 2, 3 as a sensor return, a ground, and a 5vref. A different OS from the same engine and same year same PCM but different platform may configure pins 1, 2, 3 as a 5vref, a signal return, and a ground. Some pins like BAT, IGN & GND are hardwired internally but lots and lots of other pins can be made to do many different things.

Here are your PCM C1/C2 pinouts for a 2001 S10 4.3L 4WD. Go to https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions and for $20 you can get this same level of info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    You still need to pick an operating system before you will know which diagrams to re-pin to. PCM pins are software-configurable - one OS may use hypothetical pins #s 1, 2, 3 as a sensor return, a ground, and a 5vref. A different OS from the same engine and same year same PCM but different platform may configure pins 1, 2, 3 as a 5vref, a signal return, and a ground. Some pins like BAT, IGN & GND are hardwired internally but lots and lots of other pins can be made to do many different things.

Here are your PCM C1/C2 pinouts for a 2001 S10 4.3L 4WD. Go to https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions and for $20 you can get this same level of info.

You may be the best person, ever!

When you say 'pick an operating system' what exactly do you mean?

In HPT, I can see the operating system under edit -> calibration details. But it doesn't appear to be editable.
    Either is it editable under 'OS'. That's just for boost and stuff.
    Last edited by Capstah; 08-11-2019 at 08:57 PM.

I mean, you need to pick a year (2002?), make (Chevrolet), model (Silverado?), submodel (4WD). And then find a VIN for a truck with that same equipment. Give that VIN to whoever you find with the GM tools to do the initial full write, that VIN will pull the correct GM files off the GM servers and give you your starting point that can then be edited with HPT as needed from there. I don't know exactly what parts you want to use (DBW or cable?) and I also don't know specifics of whether a '02 Silverado 4WD is the right match for your parts, but that's as close as I can guess from here.

Tuner in Training
    So my existing OS isn't going to work without a full reflash?
    Its cable operated, and basically the same except for:
    Independent coils and 2 more injectors.
    1 more knock sensor.
    1 more post CAT o2.
    Slightly different encoding for the crank and cam position sensors.

So go find stock tunes in the repository and compare the OS numbers between your truck and a '02 Silverado. If they're the same, and all the Calibration IDs in the right column are the same, then the only difference is in the tune settings (the boxes and tables that are user-editable in HPT). This is unlikely to all match since these are two different platforms using different hardware.

Whatever new OS you choose also has to be compatible with the Service Number of your existing PCM, unless there is specific info out there proving that certain combos are compatible. Like, in the parts catalog, if the '02 Silverado calls for a P59 but it's a different Service Number than your S10, generally, that means the hardware isn't compatible with the software between the two trucks. The connectors would have the same keying and all, you would just need a P59 with a SN that matches the calibration you want to put on it.

Err, pretend that anywhere I said 'P59' I really meant 'P01'. What a weird autocorrect thing to happen, huh?

2GCEK19T221363328 is a 2002 'K' (4WD) Silverado w/ LM7. Rockauto says they use the same Service Number.

Tuner in Training
    Ya the tune files look pretty darned similar.
    12208322 for OS, for both.

So can I just do a segment swap and get it wired up?

I don't see any S10 in the repository with that OS. Anyway, if they are the same what segment would you swap??

2002 'K' Silverado LM7

Tuner in Training
    I guess engine and engine diag. I could also do the comparison copy.
    Not sure why one is better than the other honestly.