Thread: Beginner - Looking for e38 HpTuner Info

Tuner in Training

Beginner - Looking for e38 HpTuner Info

Hi,

Was thinking about buying one of these dohickies. Don't know what the hell I'm doing. Started researching.
    First question I have is. Does the e38 ecu have to be unlocked to use this?

The 2nd question is that if the ecu is unlocked, and you flash back to factory tune. Will the Cal Id-s and CVN's all match factory?

Need info.

Make it so!

Yes, the computer would need to be unlocked. I guess that would mean you have tuned your vehicles with something else before and it locked your computer?

Or what is the story there?

Part two of your question I guess comes down to what is flashing it back to stock. A GM Tool would make everything fresh from the get go, then using HP Tuners would be straight forward with a stock starting point. I wouldn't use HP Tuners to try and revert an already tune vehicle back to a stock calibration if you have zero history on it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

If all the settings that've been changed in a file are put back to stock, then the CVNs also change back to stock (CVN is just a hash of all the bits in a segment - bits changed then CVN changes, bits all the same then CVN the same). This is not the same as how sometimes dealers have the ability to see a flash counter to see if it's been fiddled with and then changed back.

Gen4s do not have hardware locks/decryption that needs to be done like... whatever GenV stuff that has that. Gen4s don't need to be unlocked, but like any controller it has to be licensed before HPT will let you write anything to it. So don't confuse 'unlocking' with 'licensing'.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    So don't confuse 'unlocking' with 'licensing'.

so, then when you say licensing. Are you talking Hp Tuner licensing, or GM licensing. Also I noticed a lot of e38's for sale that say Unlocked. What does that mean then?

Also, is it possible to flash an updated tune, but keep the CVN Checksums matching the original stock tune? I'm curious of the expandability of things

You can't change even a single bit of code and not have a CVN change to reflect that. That's what a CVN is for. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_function

No clue what an 'unlocked' E38 is. They aren't locked to start with, either software or hardware.

'Licensing' means buying credits to allow you to flash the ECM in HP Tuners. This is nothing related to 'unlocking'. Unlocking means you have to pull the thing out, mail it off somewhere where they crack it open and do something to the main board before it's writeable.

Tuner
    If you are trying to avoid being detected as having a modified tune such as is required for some parts of California during their smog check, it’s probably best to just have backup parts that aren’t modified and replace them in for inspection.
    Myself, I won’t live in a place where vehicle inspections exist. I don’t think the time wasted jumping through hoops is worth it. A life choice.
    2017 Silverado 3500HD WT 6.0 flex fuel 6L90 6800lbs E78 T43

--- What am I doing??? Why did I do that??? ---

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunercharged View Post
    Myself, I won’t live in a place where vehicle inspections exist. I don’t think the time wasted jumping through hoops is worth it. A life choice.
    Unfortunatly, No matter where I've lived since 5 years old. My life has been like this due to what my family and Gov did to my life. Even buying a coffee and sitting down is worse then Ca Smog Laws. And the reprocussions of it are a lot worse then an infraction. More like what was done to the jews at Auschwitz by a Jewish Family and our Gov

That being said, I seemed to have bought my car at the perfect storm. Because right after the car magically went bad right after buying it and an oil change in Colorado and the John Elway Dealer. Triggering low oil pressure lights. I bought a whipple for rebuild. And guess what. INSTANTLY the July 19th 2021 legislation changed. I mean timing could not have been more perfect for my demise or the perception of it. Like it always is! on each of these endless coincidental situations. Hence, me needing to learn the ins and outs. Because most people I meet give me dissinformation and get mad at me for asking questions. Kind of like Adolf Hitler Book Burning if you get my drift. And I'm not just applying that to automotive and touchy situations.

That being said. Whipple is EO approved. But the question is. Computers can't see the Carb Paper in your hand while checking checksums now can it? And whipple does not submit their tunes to CARB Database. And no one wants to talk about the actual process, based on these types of situations.

Leaving a lot of ambiguity to what is going to happen. So I'm starting to teach myself about ECU's because no one has a direct answer about things here. Or if it is. It doesn't much add up. Like rolling dice at a craps table.

Example, are notations put in Carb database for companies without CVN's. Or Topics like this.

Or what about those 50 state carb legal canned tune handhelds. Are they carb legal per CVN of tune, or are they Carb legal per device. And if so, how can a computer know based on CVN comparing? Ok, so my point is, without this data, everything is a Gamble in California. Making things extremely crazy out here as of July 19th 2021. And we all know, it's not about Clean air anymore. But political agendas to force Electric and Money making.

Whipple does state their tunes will pass. But if the human is out of the equation of CVN checking. I don't understand how that works. Not saying it can't work. It just sort of leaves you in the dark of something that the odds seem against you. And when were talking about computer flagging people for state ref's. You want to know what your getting into. And make sure you aren't walking into a burning building about to collapse because someone told you nothing will happen to you when you do.

Also, no ones saying much about anything after July 19th 2021. Even the people who failed smog which is even weirder. Due to the fact they esitmate something like 5 out of 10 cars failing.

Also, I noticed that in the FlashScan it had the ability to change the CVN's on the device when plugging into the ODBC. But someone said that was an older version. And it no longer does it on the newer ones. I wasn't sure if that was the case or not.
    Last edited by TheOneAndOnly; 08-18-2022 at 03:40 PM.

Tuner
    Politics are always changing and it’s impossible to predict what will happen in the future. When the penalties and inconveniences are great enough I will only modify off road vehicles. I’m hoping I still have a couple years to enjoy the open roads but who knows.
    2017 Silverado 3500HD WT 6.0 flex fuel 6L90 6800lbs E78 T43

--- What am I doing??? Why did I do that??? ---

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunercharged View Post
    Politics are always changing and it?s impossible to predict what will happen in the future. When the penalties and inconveniences are great enough I will only modify off road vehicles. I?m hoping I still have a couple years to enjoy the open roads but who knows.
    Well lets be honest about the situation. Smog Laws were developed for the masses. Who are stuck in traffic spewing gobs of hydrocarbons in the air while trying to get back and forth from work polutting our environment. And they have helped reduce a lot of that.

They future is set! They want all of us in electric cars! and maybe one day my daily will be Electric! But I want the CHOICE to be mine!
    So what are ya gunna do about it? Sit there and take it up the booty and say "Yes Master"

2035 in California mandates all dealer are allowed to sell Electric cars ONLY! I don't think there is any ambiguity here.

Now, the tuner crowd. The select few hobbiests. A very small percent of people with secondary cars. With cars nowadays that run extremely clean. And everyone wants to run E85 with 0 hydrocarbons, making fast cars on ethonal. Which run way cleaner then before.

And even if it's on gas, and even if it increases the hydrocarbons, it's the select few who love cars and the hobby. And usually go to social events as well. Which isn't going to do any damage to the air.

The damage is done by the millions per day per city going back and forth from home to work or place to place in mass numbers.

That being said. The tuner crowd really isn't damaging the earth, evem if they were blaring tons of crap in the air. Ok, so Politics. A bunch of ignorant power craving Morons with AGENDAS to do what they want to gain power, fame, and create a legacy saying "I saved the world" when they really didn't.

Example, "I got rid of all gas cars, and FORCED everyone into electic cars", "I saved the world" so everyone on the planet can know what a great egotistical prick they were. LOL

ok, so did they save the World, or did they feed their own ego and make everyones life impossible? By relinquishing everyones human rights. Whats next, the overturn of Roe V Wade, telling all women they have no FREEDOMS of decisions about such decisions of bringing children into this world. Creating horrible situations of thowing babies in dumpsters because they don't know what to do. Because they didn't want a child but the Government told them they had to have them! Oh wait! Am I too late on that one?

ok, ya so Politics! Who's in charge, who's running the show? Do we really want them to be there? What kind of person actually would want to be a Politition in the first place? A corrupt, psychotic control freak! LOL

so anyways, point being. Does the Politition understand that while on the surface. Electric + no gas = No Emissions. Really mean, now we have to create power for electricity spewing even more crap into the air shifting where the energy conversion comes from, making things worse.

Did they do the research before taking away peoples freedoms of decisions to be who they want to be and do what they want to do of harmless things? Or are they doing it for their own benefit? Do you think overturning Roe V Wade was for the common women? Or do you think the Overturning of Roe V Wade was for the select few ANGRY WOMEN? who have a belief and idiology that only aplies their their delusional belief system. That if you step on a single celled ameoba, you are hurting it. So no one is allowed to takes walks.

Well, I will tell you. The very few Political people I've met were BEYOND INSANE. ok. That being said.

When smog laws were created, it was a good thing. And I believe in clean air. But lets be realistic with todays technology. With E85 EXTREMELY CLEAN! Corn Ethanol.

91/93 octane, still way cleaner then before. And the Tuner crowd. Select Few who are not driving QCD trucks across the US all day and night delivering cyanide coffee to kill those horrible Starbucks Customers the Starbucks employees hate so much.

But people taking their non daily hobby car out to blow off a little steam or be social. I mean all those lawyers aren't popping on smog polluting tunes and driving back and forth to their offices with everyone else.

So, What is POLITICS in Caliornia really STATING here to us all? when it's no longer about clean air, and AGENDAS to handcuff from J-walking, having a beer, smoking a joint which is finally becoming evident, that the nagative hype about marijuana was the same as prohibition.

And most importantly, when you keep people in power who don't understand that we should all have choices for abortion to make our own decisions. We should all be able to do cool things with cars provided it isn't god aweful to our air. And everything needs to be in reason with checks and balances. Or you could wake up one day. Even at 5 years old and have a life like mine.

Where NSA/FBI, and BILLIONS of resources are invested on you and everyone else in the name of CONTROL. Like the movie 1984. And within the first 10 minutes of realizing. Based on actually living it. That your life is like mine. You will become a completely different person.

Saying. WHAT RIGHT! does someone have to dictate you life, because your HAT, your Beard, Your sexual Orientation, You dated too many women, whatever do they have to tell you that you do not have CONSTITUTIONAL PROTECTIONS, and the Same rights as everyone else, because the Government doesn't feel comfortable knowing.

Example, you built a fast car, you could be a danger to yourself or others. So they are going to use every Dollar, method, person, and ounce of energy to lock you away. because they thing YOU MIGHT!

And if you don't believe it is happening. You talking to someone who is hunting for building cars in 1988, and buying a 426 hemi, because I MIGHT! and no actual legit reason other then GOVERNMENTAL FEAR

ok, so POLITICS? cars?

ok, if ANYONE now wants to STAND UP for FIXING things! So we all can have better lives? You know what you really need to be talking about OPENLY and PUBLICALLY.

Especially with my sister in law Jennifer Pilchick Perelman who lost against Debbie Wasserman Sholtz for congress on the loose. And her INSANE anticks about PERFECTION. or people like me who know her and my brothers dirty little secrets they don't want coming out!

About what they started in on me with my father when I was 5 years old. LOL
    ok, got a little side tracked.

But you say Politics. What can you do? Well let me tell you, if all of you don't want your lives like mine. Then sitting on your booty's all day and night in deniel is going to put all of you right where you don't want you to be. Trust me on that one.

While it's hard to get bills overturned. Sometimes the first step is AWARENESS. You might night make the change instantly. But at least you will voice the issue and get public support. And if the issue is sound. And I believe California is gone WAY TO FAR. with Carb, heading to a NAZI state. I can tell you stories about my life which you will puke your guts out thinking that's not possible by LAPD, Teachers, Professors, NSA, FBI operations that you would think never could happen and sounds like a sci fi movie.

With that old cliche. That could never happen here. Let me tell you. Most countries are probably a lot safer then the United States is today. And the only things keeping us safe. The Bill of Rights, the Constitution Of the United State of America, are as good as toilet paper. And I am here to tell you. That none of you actually have ANY RIGHTS or PROTECTIONS. as I've lived it for 51 years minute by minute.

ok, but on a more FUN simplified note! We should be allowed to do cool car SH***T

and CARB has gone WAY TO FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Tune Databases" whats next NSA collecting everything we do, Tracking us through GPS, building HUGE Datavaults and using the Internet as a WEAPON against us! Could never happen! Just ask Edward Snowden!

How does that make you feel about OTA computers in your car?

lets stick to clean air! Not making money! Lets Stick to clean air!!!!!! not a FORCE of everyone driving RC cars!

ok, TMI? well, I think it's pertinant!!!!!!!!!! If we let them step all over us. They will step all over us. And it will only get worse! And for what? Some lame uneducated person with UNLIMITED RESOURCES views of how the automobile works because they have a photo of one spewing oil through the rings?

And the statement of a planet of people IGNORING what was done to my life makes the STATEMENT, they want to be NEXT! and when it happens, they will have no one to blame but themselves as they wake up the NSA and similar technological terror directed at them in the name of CONTROL

If your not on that wavelength, then god help you. But I have a feeling you are! LOL

Amen! or Bman!
    Last edited by TheOneAndOnly; 08-18-2022 at 10:17 PM.

Whoa...should have drank my coffee first.
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroked06Goat View Post
    Whoa...should have drank my coffee first.
    Take it in! Because when everyone IGNORES what is coming, they will have no excuses when yelling at the top of their lungs in their electric weekend warrior cars! WHY DIDN'T I DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! WHY DIDN'T I say something about it! Why didn't I stand against it while saying "It's not me, so who cares"

Open the Pod bay doors HAL Plain, I don't have any CVN's to give you

And in the end, you will have no one to blame, but yourselves :P~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Last edited by TheOneAndOnly; 08-19-2022 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneAndOnly View Post
    Take it in! Because when everyone IGNORES what is coming, they will have no excuses when yelling at the top of their lungs in their electric weekend warrior cars! WHY DIDN'T I DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! WHY DIDN'T I say something about it! Why didn't I stand against it while saying "It's not me, so who cares"

Open the Pod bay doors HAL Plain, I don't have any CVN's to give you

And in the end, you will have no one to blame, but yourselves :P~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Remember to voice your opinions and support the RPM act!
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned

Potential Tuner
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”